Portal QB Wishlist

Huh? He has 9 less interceptions than Van Dyke? Some of them to open receivers where has under thrown the ball 7-10 yards? Mertz's play this year beats NC St. Comparing TVD to even Graham Mertz the last 3-4 games is just not accurate. TVD is totally lost right now.

And no shame in an OT loss to Ark, who has lost by 3 to LSU, 7 to Ole Miss, and 3 to Bama. Neither team is very good. I had Arkansas in the game and got in great at +6 in a game that closed basically 3 everywhere. I mean unless we are talking about the top teams, **** happens every week. They beat Tennessee at home. Tennessee is a borderline top 20 team, Gators are a top what? 35-40 team? Could a better QB have made a difference, yes…Has QB play been a problem? No not at all, Graham Mertz has worked out well for them.

Is Mertz making a monster Michael Pennix type "difference"? God no, of course not…But it doesn't take much to be better than TVD the last month. Just stop throwing to the wrong team…Hit uyour wr in the flat in stride for a change…Oh and of course his new thing…Don't freeze and hold the ball for about 5 seconds.
The gator Graham Schmutz wouldn’t have beaten aTm like good TVD did. I’m not sure he beats Clemson either. He’s better than bad TVD but not better than good TVD. Mertz doesn’t transform us into a good offense.

I’d rather run a triple option with Jacurri as I’ve said many times. If we can’t or won’t pass, put the running threat in there with Fletcher, Brashard and Chris Johnson as running backs, or use two RBs with an extra OL and 2 WRs if Meathead Mario wants more beef up front.

Does this triple option beat GT and NC State?

Advertisement
The gator Graham Schmutz wouldn’t have beaten aTm like good TVD did. I’m not sure he beats Clemson either. He’s better than bad TVD but not better than good TVD. Mertz doesn’t transform us into a good offense.

I’d rather run a triple option with Jacurri as I’ve said many times. If we can’t or won’t pass, put the running threat in there with Fletcher, Brashard and Chris Johnson as running backs, or use two RBs with an extra OL and 2 WRs if Meathead Mario wants more beef up front.

Does this triple option beat GT and NC State?

I've watched a couple Gators games this year and the eye test kinda jives with the stats, he's playing well…I'd say this is good Graham Mertz not bad Graham Mertz , although I agree his best isn't as good as TVD was that magical Tamu day. I think his level of QB play has us 7-2 right now, probably 8-1 because then we wouldn't have to worry about things coming down to idiotically not taking a ******* knee vs. GT.

Ground and pound was the only thing that saved us against Clemson and basically against UVA too and I have been saying much the same thing as you in terms of if you have to go that way then let's see more B.Smith and get J.Brown in the mix. I said it since late 2q Clemson. I hope we see J.Brown for at least 15-20 plays tomorrow.

I've watched a couple Gators games this year and the eye test kinda jives with the stats, he's playing well…I'd say this is good Graham Mertz not bad Graham Mertz , although I agree his best isn't as good as TVD was that magical Tamu day. I think his level of QB play has us 7-2 right now, probably 8-1 because then we wouldn't have to worry about things coming down to idiotically not taking a ******* knee vs. GT.

Ground and pound was the only thing that saved us against Clemson and basically against UVA too and I have been saying much the same thing as you in terms of if you have to go that way then let's see more B.Smith and get J.Brown in the mix. I said it since late 2q Clemson. I hope we see J.Brown for at least 15-20 plays tomorrow.
I just don’t get the coaching. If TVD isn’t working out for whatever reason, and they don’t trust Emory to run the offense with passing, then just play the athlete who’s a threat in at least one area. If we don’t see Jacurri tomorrow then he’s definitely portaling out.

I just don’t get the coaching. If TVD isn’t working out for whatever reason, and they don’t trust Emory to run the offense with passing, then just play the athlete who’s a threat in at least one area. If we don’t see Jacurri tomorrow then he’s definitely portaling out.

I am somewhat there with you. But realize it is a big difference between that offense and the one that was bombs over Baghdad against TAMU. So to shift practice and preparation from one to the other AFTER HUSTLING ALL OFFSEASON get it installed. Also if a QB and passing attack is THAT good early on (against a quality opponent in a big game)…You usually do give him a leash. I know you don't like CMC. But this is kinda unprecedented where a kid just loses it to the extent and is the POLAR opposite a few weeks later. I think they chalked GT up to being an awful night and figured he could adjust and at least be ADEQUATE… We now know he simply can't. He has gone from excellent to horrible. I know Leach teams (for just a quick example because I don't have all day) struggled mightily when Jimmy Lake and a few others would drop 8, but what we've seen in the last month at UM is EXTREME. It seldom goes from so good to so bad/unplayable in an UPPERCLASSMAN… so quickly. It's full Chuck Knoblach/Rick Ankle type ****.

But I would agree with you, it has to be accepted, and the adjustment period is up. We need to see some at least SOME Jacurri Brown out there this week. If TVD plays he needs to be a game manager that takes the occasional shot deep like EW against Clemson.

On I side note only other comment I have is that I would argue that Jacurri is likely portal at some point either way, right? I mean if everything I read on here this offseason is true, there has been VERY LITTLE improvement in him as a passer and that may just never happen. We need to play JB tot try to win, not because of any type of trying to keep him here.

Last edited:
I am somewhat there with you. But realize it is a big difference between that offense and the one that was bombs over Baghdad against TAMU. So to shift practice and preparation from one to the other AFTER HUSTLING ALL OFFSEASON get it installed. Also if a QB and passing attack is THAT good early on (against a quality opponent in a big game)…You usually do give him a leash. I know you don't like CMC. But this is kinda unprecedented where a kid just loses it to the extent and is the POLAR opposite a few weeks later. I think they chalked GT up to being an awful night and figured he could adjust and at least be ADEQUATE… We now know he simply can't. He has gone from excellent to horrible. I know Leach teams (for just a quick example because I don't have all day) struggled mightily when Jimmy Lake and a few others would drop 8, but what we've seen in the last month at UM is EXTREME. It seldom goes from so good to so bad/unplayable in an UPPERCLASSMAN… so quickly.

But I would agree with you, it has to be accepted, and the adjustment period is up. We need to see some at least SOME Jacurri Brown out there this week. If TVD plays he needs to be a game manager that takes the occasional shot deep like EW against Clemson.

On I side note only other comment I have is that I would argue that Jacurri is likely portal at some point either way, right? I mean if everything I read on here this offseason is true, there has been VERY LITTLE improvement in him as a passer and that may just never happen. We need to play JB tot try to win, not because of any type of trying to keep him here.
I’m not saying play him to keep him. I agree, play him to try and win. I’m saying that if he isn’t played it’s because he’s told them he’s portaling out and doesn’t want to play - I assume for risk of injury reasons. This is speculation by me though.

Advertisement
If we are going to play a game manager (limited turn-overs but limited abilities), we need to improve a bunch at WR, TE, and RB. We also need our D to expect more inconsistency from the O drive to drive, game to game until those elite players get enough experience to execute close to their ceilings.

That's why... there is for basketball but they don't have much for football just because that school hasn't cared for football.

Not saying they don't have anything... but when we're talking an elite QB and one of the best players in the country (when healthy) that might draw interest from Washington, Oregon, USC, LSU, etc.. they have zero chance.
I live in Kansas City.

They have NIL deals here in the area.
And KCMO is a growing metropilitan area and the city invests into KU more than Mizzou for NIL, and a lot of big railroad CEOs, CFOs, etc went to KU and work in KC.

Theres NIL for those players now.

Advertisement
Miami needs to go full Louisville and take 3 QBs in the portal before spring. Keep the best 4 for the fall that are willing to stay.

Advertisement
If we had NIL cash sufficient to out bid Bama for TVD, and we didn’t need to spend on any whales, buySmith and a top teir QB and make the playoffs next year……..

Ok we need some CBs, LBs, and more consultants……

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back