Portal QB Wishlist

He's lit it up when he's had to…They have a run based scheme, and a coach that always seems to sit on the ball in the 2h when they have a lead. He destroyed UCF last year in the AAC championship.

When he does throw…It looks like it's supposed to and looks like a clear p5 QB and NFL draft pick (albeit maybe not high round), jmo
That’s exactly what I’m concerned about.

@JZCane0825 you’re right that a floor raiser isn’t the worst thing. It would mean probably not being routinely in dog fights with lesser quality teams.

However, a run-based scheme is exactly what we’re heading towards. A coach that sits on the ball in the 2H…sound like anyone we know?

People on here are in agreement that the product on the field needs to change. Some blame solely the QB, while others (myself for example) think that it’s both the QB and the change in offensive philosophy once we got into conference play.

Pratt to me would be fine in this offense, it’s the scheme on offense I’m worried about. Tulane is barely scraping by crap AAC teams because they play conservatively. If the scheme doesn’t change on offense for Miami, it doesn’t matter who’s at QB imo.

Pratt also hasn’t lit anyone up in the air this year except a very bad Memphis defense, and has thrown for under 200 yards in three of his seven games. Imo, he’s not asked to do a lot for a reason.

I urge you all to go watch his film against KSt in 2022…a competent P5 defense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That’s exactly what I’m concerned about.

@JZCane0825 you’re right that a floor raiser isn’t the worst thing. It would mean probably not being routinely in dog fights with lesser quality teams.

However, a run-based scheme is exactly what we’re heading towards. A coach that sits on the ball in the 2H…sound like anyone we know?

People on here are in agreement that the product on the field needs to change. Some blame solely the QB, while others (myself for example) think that it’s both the QB and the change in offensive philosophy once we got into conference play.

Pratt to me would be fine in this offense, it’s the scheme on offense I’m worried about. Tulane is barely scraping by crap AAC teams because they play conservatively. If the scheme doesn’t change on offense for Miami, it doesn’t matter who’s at QB imo.

OK but this conversation itself isn't about the offense? WE have had those all over this board in other threads. Or if it is, then why are we talking at all about who we want?

I didn't say to hire their head coach…Although he is a good one. Or their OC.

Couple other things…I didn't see the change in offensive play in "conference play" that you speak of…And quite frankly it's the reason we won the Clemson game.

The GT game was played in weather and TVD looked like absolute ****…and even then it was 50-50 before attempting to run out the clock which we did successfully but for some asshead reason didn't take a knee.

19 of the first 34 offensive plays in the first half called vs. UNC (I stopped before the last minute drive before the half which would have even skewed it more to the pass because I wanted to keep it in a standard situation) were pass

I've seen it as the year progressed and we've lost our QB play for sure…But even then we still came out throwing plenty against NC St.

On a side note, big picture…Most on this board like Kiffin alot or I'd say we can all agree the man is a very good offensive mind. Last year he was top 10 nationally in run rate…This year he is still top 40. Can give many other examples. Why are people so afraid of running the ball? Mind boggling to me.

Last edited:
OK but this conversation itself isn't about the offense? WE have had those all over this board in other threads. Or if it is, then why are we talking at all about who we want?

I didn't say to hire their head coach…Although he is a good one. Or their OC.

Couple other things…I didn't see the change in offensive play in "conference play" that you speak of.

The GT game was played in weather and TVD looked like absolute ****…and even then it was 50-50 before attempting to run out the clock which we did successfully but for some asshead reason didn't take a knee.

19 of the first 34 offensive plays in the first half called vs. UNC (I stopped before the last minute drive before the half which would have even skewed it more to the pass because I wanted to keep it in a standard situation) were pass

I've seen it as the year progressed and we've lost our QB play

On a side note, big picture…Most on this board like Kiffin alot or I'd say we can all agree the man is a very good offensive mind. Last year he was top 10 nationally in run rate…This year he is still top 40. Can give many other examples. Why are people so afraid of running the ball? Mind boggling to me.
Watch our games and then watch his, you tell me what the difference is with running the ball.

One runs to score and in a variety of ways, the other runs into stacked boxes for the sake of running and Being “physical”.

An elite running game is one of the most effective weapons on offense in college football imo because it can open up all sorts of vertical deep shots. But watch Tennessee and Ole Miss run the ball, and then tell me the difference between them and us.

Watch our games and then watch his, you tell me what the difference is with running the ball.

One runs to score and in a variety of ways, the other runs into stacked boxes for the sake of running and Being “physical”.

Again, you still changed the subject we were talking about transfer QBs.

But ok I'll respond. We have no choice but to run into stacked boxes right now…We have a QB who can't read and when he does can't hit is target. It's not for the sake of being "physical" (and physical is a good thing not a bad thing)…It''s our only prayer right now. We have ZERO QB PLAY

I'll agree I would like to see more variety in the run game, I'll concede to you there. But us not running to score is a stance that is way overplayed...

Assuming Tyler doesn't rebound and comes back next year, (there's still a small chance I think) the question is what qualities would a "Mario Cristobal" QB possess? Or rather, what qualities does a QB need to overcome a Mario Cristobal offense?

Advertisement
I think he's more fools Gold than savior.

When you do a deep dive into his numbers it's not as great as it looks in totality. On a game by game basis, it's a bit questionable to the say the least.
I hear you on that. My main concern with him is the tape against better competition. He doesn't play a ton of great defenses and arguably the best one he played, Kansas State last year, was arguably his worst game.

I will say that when I watch his tape I see a guy who would fit very well in Dawson's system. He's not the fastest but his ability/willingness to extend with his feet would give us such a different dynamic to this offense. On top of the fact that he seems to be a decisive and accurate passer. I'd be happy to have him but I have Cam Ward as my number 1 as well.

I think Weigman would be my top target. Maybe Jalon Daniel’s or Cam Ward next. Pratt I think would be a high floor guy. If we had him this yr that would be really good. That’s fine and I’d get him, but would he be my #1 target? Not really. More like option 1D. Next year could be a really good season for us with high quality QB play.

Again, you still changed the subject we were talking about transfer QBs.

But ok I'll respond. We have no choice but to run into stacked boxes right now…We have a QB who can't read and when he does can't hit is target. It's not for the sake of being "physical" (and physical is a good thing not a bad thing)…It''s our only prayer right now. We have ZERO QB PLAY

I'll agree I would like to see more variety in the run game, I'll concede to you there. But us not running to score is a stance that is way overplayed...
Your blind allegiance to Mario is oozing right now, it’s impossible to have a rational conversation. I changed nothing lol, you asked why people aren’t mad at Kiffin running the ball a lot. I answered. You got mad because it highlights how Mario is struggling with his forte of running the ball while Kiffin and Heupel aren’t.

Head back over to 247 where you’ll be properly applauded.

Pratt is an older QB that won’t lose us games like TVD does, and would be a good field general. He might not be a lightning rod, but stability is a trait that we really need @ QB. Should definitely towards the top of any potential QB list.

Advertisement
I would stick at Kansas. Great coaches and a great system. But there’s no NIL. He likely weighs leaving for it
He’ll get a deal. They can pay for that B-ball team then they can pay for him.

Your blind allegiance to Mario is oozing right now, it’s impossible to have a rational conversation. I changed nothing lol, you asked why people aren’t mad at Kiffin running the ball a lot. I answered. You got mad because it highlights how Mario is struggling with his forte of running the ball while Kiffin and Heupel aren’t.

Head back over to 247 where you’ll be properly applauded.

Are you really trying to tell me you changed nothing?

Lol…Read…The…Title…Of…This…Thread

Went crickets when I broke down those game bay game run/pass ratio which clearly proved you wrong huh? Ran for the hills then huh?

You're clueless.

That's why... there is for basketball but they don't have much for football just because that school hasn't cared for football.

Not saying they don't have anything... but when we're talking an elite QB and one of the best players in the country (when healthy) that might draw interest from Washington, Oregon, USC, LSU, etc.. they have zero chance.

Thanks for clarifying.

I do feel that if they felt they were on the cusp of breaking through to be a decent program, they could scramble up some NIL money quickly.

I hear you on that. My main concern with him is the tape against better competition. He doesn't play a ton of great defenses and arguably the best one he played, Kansas State last year, was arguably his worst game.

I will say that when I watch his tape I see a guy who would fit very well in Dawson's system. He's not the fastest but his ability/willingness to extend with his feet would give us such a different dynamic to this offense. On top of the fact that he seems to be a decisive and accurate passer. I'd be happy to have him but I have Cam Ward as my number 1 as well.
I think he'd be serviceable & add much needed mobility at the QB spot.

But the injury history & his overall play in some games leaves some questions open. His team wins a lot, so that's good, but there's a number of games where he didn't necessarily play great & they still won anyway.

Advertisement
I don't see it with Cam Ward…At least being any more than adequate.

I don't always hold PFF as gospel, but they are helpful…Over the last two seasons he has graded out 24/37 Big Time Throw/Turnover play ratio. I don't think the kid is a bad college player at all, but I just don't think he's anything standout. Even last year…He simply threw the ball ALOT in a pass happy offense…He didn't throw it particularly well 6.4 ypplay and 10/21 of that ratio was last year. He also has a very low fumble grade (brutal last year with PFF)…I don't have time to look up the exact amount of fumbles, but that was likely not pretty either.

I think he'd be serviceable & add much needed mobility at the QB spot.

But the injury history & his overall play in some games leaves some questions open. His team wins a lot, so that's good, but there's a number of games where he didn't necessarily play great & they still won anyway.
Like last week vs ECU
16/25, 213yds, 1TD 1FMBL

Advertisement
Like last week vs ECU
16/25, 213yds, 1TD 1FMBL
Or these games too...

2022:
- vs K ST; 13/26 176yds 1TD & 2INT’s at 50%cmp
- vs Southern Miss; 19/29 247yds 1TD & 1INT at 65%cmp
- vs Memphis; 20/29 158yds 1TD
- vs Tulsa; 11/19 125yds 2TD & 1INT at 57%cmp
- vs SMU; 9/14 141yds 3TD’s