Polite, Burns or Jackson

Who has the best NFL potential?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement
Exactly what I've been saying about Jackson for 2 years, only they worded it a lot better than I ever could.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/20/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-joe-jackson/

I'm sure this will go right over the heads of the Simpson fans as well.
Been trying to tell you people, our DL hasn't added any new pass rush techniques in years.
If we don't (a) over-power OL or (b) simply run by them then we have no answers.
Hopefully the new hire, stroud, can help with this

You watched the film on these guys to know that they don't play the run as well as Jackson?

And Jackson is NOT a complete DE. His pass rush skills leave a lot to be desired. And THAT is what the NFL really cares about. It's a passing league.
9 sacks in a shorter season?

Nobody has an agenda against our players. More often than not, they are who scouts think they are. (not who WE think they are) If we had guys with "first-round ability" then they would get drafted in the first round. (like David Njoku)

Our guys usually play better in the pros than in college. If anything, it's been our first rounders that play the worst. Calais Campbell and Olivier Vernon weren't first round picks but got paid like Top 3 picks once they were eligible.

An Alabama coach told me in 2012 that Lamar Miller was better than Trent Richardson, Olivier Vernon was better than Courtney Upshaw, and that Brandon Linder and Seantrel Henderson were better than any OL on Alabama. That would have sounded like homer talk at the time, but it all turned out to be true. In 2017, Olsen Pierre had more sacks than any Alabama player. It's crazy but true. Our guys are under-drafted.

You know 100X more about DL than I do, but I think Joe is one of the most underrated players in the draft. Yes, he's stiff and won't be able to bullrush as easily in the pros. But look at this production, to go along with 24 sacks and 37.5 TFLs in three years.

He's the only guy on that list not projected to the first round. He's 6'5, 250, has good straight-line burst, plays hard, works hard and was ACC All-Academic. I just hope the Dolphins draft him.

You know where you end up when you're a "complete DE" but you lack bend and explosiveness? Where Chad Thomas is right now. Doing d!ck.

Ain't nobody tryin' to hear that "complete DE" ****. In the NFL it's about explosiveness and getting after Quarterbacks.

Advertisement
He had his most productive year this season in all categories, 14.5 tfls 9.0 sacks is nothing to scoff about as a regressed year considering he played all year with that arm brace

That's what I mean. I don't think that elbow was right all season. He's also not going in the first round, and had he come back healthy next year and gotten double digit sacks, there's a very good chance he could've played himself into a lot better situation. Also believe he had 8.5 sacks, but whatever. He wasn't much better, if better at all, than his first 2 years.

Whereas Polite and Burns absolutely improved in their money year. Especially Polite. Jackson had basically the same numbers for 3 years, but again I believe it was due to him being injured. A kid that talented isn't going to plateau. He was hurt. And it's going to cost him money.

Our guys usually play better in the pros than in college. If anything, it's been our first rounders that play the worst. Calais Campbell and Olivier Vernon weren't first round picks but got paid like Top 3 picks once they were eligible.

An Alabama coach told me in 2012 that Lamar Miller was better than Trent Richardson, Olivier Vernon was better than Courtney Upshaw, and that Brandon Linder and Seantrel Henderson were better than any OL on Alabama. That would have sounded like homer talk at the time, but it all turned out to be true. In 2017, Olsen Pierre had more sacks than any Alabama player. It's crazy but true. Our guys are under-drafted.

You know 100X more about DL than I do, but I think Joe is one of the most underrated players in the draft. Yes, he's stiff and won't be able to bullrush as easily in the pros. But look at this production, to go along with 24 sacks and 37.5 TFLs in three years.

He's the only guy on that list not projected to the first round. He's 6'5, 250, has good straight-line burst, plays hard, works hard and was ACC All-Academic. I just hope the Dolphins draft him.

Man that would only apply if we had ****ty coaching on defense.

I don't think anybody here thinks that our defensive coaching is ****ty. There's no reason for our defensive players to be better in the NFL right now.

Facts...

Advertisement
I hate to say it but I feel as though a lot of Joe’s sacks were coverage sacks. There’s not much film of him straight up destroying a Tackle with a pass rushing move. He’s a very well rounded DE though so he will get drafted in top 3 rounds.

Man that would only apply if we had ****ty coaching on defense.

I don't think anybody here thinks that our defensive coaching is ****ty. There's no reason for our defensive players to be better in the NFL right now.
Didn’t you just spend a lot of time before the season saying how green Miami defensive coaches were in 2018 and then they went out and led a top 5 defense statistically in multiple categories?

Last edited:
You can't say that our coaching is fine but then turn around and claim that our players do better in the pros.

Advertisement
You know where you end up when you're a "complete DE" but you lack bend and explosiveness? Where Chad Thomas is right now. Doing d!ck.

Ain't nobody tryin' to hear that "complete DE" ****. In the NFL it's about explosiveness and getting after Quarterbacks.
A complete DE is what you are talking about, but still plays the run well. They collapse the pocket put pressure on the QB, get sacks and stop the run. Why save a roster spot for a guy who is liable to get pushed over on first and second down just because he can get to the QB possibly in third?

You can't say that our coaching is fine but then turn around and claim that our players do better in the pros.

Joe is different than the other guys because he actually produced here. But I think he’s being underrated.

Where he gets picked doesn’t tell me much because our middle round guys have been outplaying our first rounders lately.

Advertisement
Joe Jackson just works. He will grind like the 52nd roster guy from day one until he retires. He WILL earn a gold jacket. Mark my words, he’s going to be talked about like the greatest cane pros ever.

A complete DE is what you are talking about, but still plays the run well. They collapse the pocket put pressure on the QB, get sacks and stop the run. Why save a roster spot for a guy who is liable to get pushed over on first and second down just because he can get to the QB possibly in third?

Because football has changed and offenses aren't lining up in 21/22 personnel and pounding the ball anymore. Pass rushers are at a premium.

I love him but idk if he'll fit playing in the 3-4 now that Flores is the guy

Advertisement
Back