PODCAST: Regular Season Wrap-up ft. ESPN's Steve "K9" Kim, D$ and Austin Pfenninger

View as article
Advertisement
Advertisement
75% of the podcast spent tearing apart the offense (not complaining). Pointing out all the shortcomings that have been rehashed over and over on this site: no motion, poor route concepts (all verts), underutilization of our weapons, etc.

It seems that EVERYBODY sees what needs to be done on that side of the ball except the two men with the power to impact change: James and Richt. I'm really worried nothing happens at OC this off-season.

Also, I forgot all about Rousseau. Somebody tell me this Dr. Kaplan fellow didn't jack him up too.

I'm worried the defense takes a big step back next year. We're not only losing starters, but leaders as well. Even with a vintage Miami defense its recruiting has still been outpaced by the offense somehow.

I have more of an issue with the execution than the playcalling obviously im in the minority. The OL wasn't that good and our receivers dropped too many ball and thats when they would get an accurate pass. Players just have to get better before i start getting on the playcalling

Mark this down and bump it when I’m right: Our defense will take a big dive next year. Diaz puts a ton on his Safeties, and we’re losing 2 veteran starters who played the majority of the game. Willis will also be a huge loss because he ate up blockers and disrupted offenses up the middle.

Advertisement
I have more of an issue with the execution than the playcalling obviously im in the minority. The OL wasn't that good and our receivers dropped too many ball and thats when they would get an accurate pass. Players just have to get better before i start getting on the playcalling
The two things are not mutually exclusive, do the players have execution issues yes, but this Is STILL the worst offensive performance and playcalling I’ve ever seen since I’ve been old enough to watch Miami football (2000 was my first season when I was 6) and actually know what’s going on and it’s not even close....

I'm not sure if all the blame belongs on the O line. If the defense knows that on the RPO, the running back is getting the ball, it's pretty tough to block.

Mark this down and bump it when I’m right: Our defense will take a big dive next year. Diaz puts a ton on his Safeties, and we’re losing 2 veteran starters who played the majority of the game. Willis will also be a huge loss because he ate up blockers and disrupted offenses up the middle.

Chise just think about it, it’s no different than when we lost 3 out of our 4 secondary starters after the 2016 season. Redwine started a few games that year and had some experience. Jaquan was the backup safety and played but didn’t play nearly as much as Amari carter has the last 2 years. Have to think he will be a starter next year, gurvan Hall will take a spot and we have other talented defensive backs. Our defense will probably take a step back but it will still be a talented unit especially if shaq and pickney comeback as people are predicting lately

Depends on what your definition of big dive. If you're thinking we go from a statistically ranked #2 defense in the nation to like #50, I'll disagree there. But to go from #2 to somewhere around #25, I could see that. We're relying on a lot of unproven players on the D-line next year. And everyone is brokering everything on Nesta (whom I think is legit), but Willis played like a bonafide 5-star player.

And yeah, Redwine and JJ as our starting safeties was a thing of beauty. Hopefully Carter and Hall continue that trend of great leadership. But there's a lot of hope that I just put out there.

Advertisement
I’m 10 minutes into this and this is the best podcast, richt **** the bed on what could have been a very good season!!!

Advertisement
@DMoney nailed it at the 10 minute mark in regards to talent discussion with this line. Glad he pointed out how bad OL development has been here.
I think the ol development isn’t what it should be, most of the young lineman outside of Donaldson and scaife hasn’t played much in the last 2 classes where we signed 7 lineman. BUT richt playcalling is making the group overall look worse imo, anyone would look bad if the defense knows exactly what we are going to do and no deception to throw them off track. These teams know exactly what we are going to do on most plays due to the simplicity and predictive nature of richts offense do in turn the oline play is absolutely affected by that greatly imo.

The strongest indicator of success on defense from one year to the next in college football is returning production from the defensive backfield. We have very little of it coming back next year.

Combined with our sinkhole of a recruiting class, 2019 has radioactivity written all over it.

I think the ol development isn’t what it should be, most of the young lineman outside of Donaldson and scaife hasn’t played much in the last 2 classes where we signed 7 lineman. BUT richt playcalling is making the group overall look worse imo, anyone would look bad if the defense knows exactly what we are going to do and no deception to throw them off track. These teams know exactly what we are going to do on most plays due to the simplicity and predictive nature of richts offense do in turn the oline play is absolutely affected by that greatly imo.

There's truth to this. But in terms of overall pass and run blocking, you see miscommunication issues and just overall bad play.

The strongest indicator of success from one year to the next in college football is returning production from the defensive backfield. We have very little of it coming back next year.

Combined with our sinkhole of a recruiting class, 2019 has radioactivity written all over it.

In terms of regular rotation players we return Bandy at corner, along with Carter and Hall. I think Derrick Smith slides back to safety to crack the 2-deep. Ivey, Blades and Frierson are going to have to take the next step.

Advertisement
Back