Please rank our assistant and position coaches in order of their quality.

I'm sorry but how can Rumph be a "wild card" and in anybody's Top5 considering he cannot close any of his top DB targets (yet alone his old HS), Dean & Delaney never really did anything, and his NFL claim-to-fame Adrian Colbert got moved to Safety. Good dude and a True Cane, but not an elite coach yet on a staff with some elite coaches.

Rumph himself was moved to safety when he reached the NFL as well. He couldn't cover anybody in the NFL. He hit like a truck though.

Advertisement
Ron Dugans - Elite coach and recruiter
Thomas Brown - Elite coach and recruiter
Manny Diaz - If only he's 3rd defensive conversion rate was good as his TALK GAME
Todd Hartley Good recruiter but Special Team needs a major improvement
Mike Rumph - Avg. coach and horrible recruiter
Ephriam Banda - There is' nothing about his coaching or recruiting that can't easily replace by another coach
Jess Simpson - Unknown
Stacey Searels - It' time to produce or get shown the door
Jon Richt - He wouldn't even be here if father wasn't the HC and Lil Jon's coaching/recruiting is DIII level at best
Jonathan Patke - Has absolutely no exp coaching and his greatest claim to fame was almost getting a Texas DT recruit to sign to Miami

Hard for me to say without knowing exactly what they do. (it's not fair to base coaching ability simply off on-field performance, some coaches are working with a different cupboard)

If I'm going off of what I see on the field, nobody's unit shines like Dugan's. [pause]
You constantly see those guys display great technique. It's blatantly obvious that they're being coached-up. The way they block, the way they run their routes, etc. IMO they're easily the best coached unit on the team.

I've seen Simpson and Searels coach in person. I like the intensity from both of them, particularly Simpson. Tons of fire. Quintessential DL coach. I like Rumph and Hartley too. Hartley gets on the TE's asses.

Agree, well put.

I'm sorry but how can Rumph be a "wild card" and in anybody's Top5 considering he cannot close any of his top DB targets (yet alone his old HS), Dean & Delaney never really did anything, and his NFL claim-to-fame Adrian Colbert got moved to Safety. Good dude and a True Cane, but not an elite coach yet on a staff with some elite coaches.
Rumph may indeed be the worst recruiter on the team. I am not saying that he is, but I can definitely see how that argument could be made. However, he has been nothing short of a great CB coach. Corn Elder looked like an All-American under Rumph. Michael Jackson has literally gone from and unknown to a potential 1st round draft pick under Rumph's tutelage and coaching. Bandy looked like an upperclassman during his freshman year and Malik Young was becoming an All-conference type of corner prior to his injury.

Also, even though they are yet to play a game in college,...Ivey, Freirson, and Blades, have all received high praise from both the Defensive Coordinator and the Head Coach. Rumph is the common denominator regarding the above mentioned players.

Rumph deserves his fair share of criticism, considering his apparent deficiencies on the recruiting trail. However, to insinuate that he is not a good coach, is completely unwarranted, in my humble opinion.

Advertisement
Where are all these corners he missed? He missed 2 guys that were never coming here.

1. Dugans
2. Brown
3 - rest TBD

Everything, technical coaching acumen, recruiting wise, factor it all in. Thanks for your input.

I wont pollute the answers with my opinion. Here they are as they are listed on hurricanesports.com

Thomas Brown
Manny Diaz
Ron Dugans
Todd Hartley
Ephriam Banda
Jonathan Patke
Jon Richt
Mike Rumph
Stacey Searels
Jess Simpson

(really want to hear what @rokulika thinks)

Where are all these corners he missed? He missed 2 guys that were never coming here.
Not to mention he’s brought in the most blue chip recruits out of any position coach the last 2 years. People know these schools are throwing bags the most at that position in south Florida but still want to blame coach rumph for it.

1. Thomas brown #1 excellent coaching and excellent recruiting. Great personality and doesn’t sugar coat sh*t.

2. Ron Dugans great coaching, excellent recruiting. Our level of play at receiver has improved especially with blocking. Need to keep working with the receivers with their hands making them more consistent.

3. Manny Diaz- he gets it plain and simple and I’m estastic with the strides we are making on our defense. But that doesn’t mean it’s perfect. We definitely have things we got to work on for our defense to be an elite top 10 defense.

4.Mike Rumph , good recruiter not great, great coach imo.Needs to continue to work with the corners on their awareness. Has shown that he can develop guys.

5. Coach Banda- our safety play the last 2 years has been great, good recruiter(he’s missed on guys too). Can relate well to recruits.

6. Todd Hartley- excellent recruiter, pretty good coach but I need to see more from his special teams units especially at kick return.

7. Stacy Searels- I really like His recruiting and he’s definitely reshaping the talent level of our oline. He’s a solid coach imo and has a hard task of developing lineman. Our oline has improved since he’s been here.

8. Jon Richt- he has recruited very well (outside of this year). Honestly I think He had a great relationship with Michael Johnson jr but not everyone is a fit in Miami’s locker room and you can take that however you want it.. I like the play overall of our qbs the last 2 years and the Young guys are developing .

9. Jess Simpson, coaching at this level remains to be seen. However he was an excellent coach at Buford knows how to bring things out of kids for sure. Seems like he resonates well when recruiting kids. Will see how he does this year. People talk a lot about coach Kool, but a lot of the draft scouts Who evaluate Miami’s dline always say how raw our dlineman were even with coach kool teaching them for two years. Always thought that was interesting to say the least given kools reputation. The dline can certainly improve though and I’m excited to see what happens.

10. Jon patke- coaching ultimately remains to be seen obviously but I know He worked a lot with our linebackers last year and imo while they were really solid they didn’t take the jump I expected They would. Remains to be seen. I really like his recruiting though.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I have seen Rumph turn Corn Elder and Adrian Colbert into NFL players. Malik Young was well on his way there and Michael Jackson has gone from "we have a guy named Michael Jackson?" to one of the top corners in the nation. Him and Dugans are at the top of the list. Thomas Brown is an OC who doesn't call plays but he does a great job with the running backs. Diaz is great but he can be his own worst enemy sometimes. I can't say I'm happy with how the offensive line has performed for the first two seasons so I'd probably put Searles near the bottom.

Mods, please change @OBLIVION
Name to
@OBLOBVIOUS
Waaka Waaka.gif

I already see easy votes. Richt Jr close to the bottom even though we’re 100% on our top QB targets and most would agree Rosier outplayed his expectations. We’ll see the development this year though because it’ll be the first time we’ve had the same starting QB two years in a row
This excuse is dead with Johnson Jr committing elsewhere

Manny Diaz - If only he's 3rd defensive conversion rate was good as his TALK GAME
Ephriam Banda - There is' nothing about his coaching or recruiting that can't easily replace by another coach
Jess Simpson - Unknown
Jon Richt - He wouldn't even be here if father wasn't the HC and Lil Jon's coaching/recruiting is DIII level at best
Jonathan Patke - Has absolutely no exp coaching and his greatest claim to fame was almost getting a Texas DT recruit to sign to Miami

First off, what basis do you have to say Rumph is an average coach? How have you not seen great development from our DB’s the last two years?

Second, when did a DIII coach recruit guys like N’Kosi, Cade, and Jarren? All of whom Coach Richt is saying have developed nicely heading into their... get this.... (redshirt in some cases) freshmen season

Advertisement
Jess Simpson - Unknown

giphy.gif

Advertisement

Lol and I'm sure Mark Pope was never coming if Dugans did not get him or Brevin was never coming, but Hartley snagged him. Relationships are a huge X factor and Rumph seems to suck in that department.

Guess I’m out of the loop for the 2019 class but if you’re a top QB recruit the Miami QB room is looking crowded these days
Kev my man, give it a rest bruh... Lil Jon is not some elite QB coach that is unfairly receiving criticism.

He's the coaches son, that's his best quality thus far. He does a great job extolling out Papa Richt's philosophy to the targets. Mark is a very busy man, so he has tasks to delegate down to Jon, but it's not like Jon is out there on his own making evals & handing out offers. Everything is run through Mark, but Jon does the grunt work.

He's not even 30 yet, if he wasn't Mark's son he would be a GA, he's literally learning on the job. Let him get a little more dirt on his hands for a few years before Secret Service style diving in front of bullets for him.

First off, what basis do you have to say Rumph is an average coach? How have you not seen great development from our DB’s the last two years?

Second, when did a DIII coach recruit guys like N’Kosi, Cade, and Jarren? All of whom Coach Richt is saying have developed nicely heading into their... get this.... (redshirt in some cases) freshmen season

Cade is the result of CMR prior relationship not Jon’s and Perry can’t even beat out Noiser but back to Rumph. Do really want to defend a dude that has more misses than hits on the recruiting trial and DBs who couldn’t turn their fuqin heads and play the ball in the air

Good coaches put a good product on the field.where we were at 2 yrs ago and where are we at today.to rank these coaches from best to worst would be disservice to any of them.they have all put a better product on the field today verses 2 years ago.dynasty wimp,loosebutt cannon and others can bash me but these assistants will move on and you'll be the first ones to have your panties in an uproar about it while your crying they are gone.

Advertisement
Back