Players who should move on

Redshirt freshman Evan Shirreffs, Jon Richt said, is “one of the smartest guys we’ve got” and picked up the offense “faster than everybody else.” Richt said Shirreffs, a redshirt freshman, is “Steady Eddie. He’s doing what he’s supposed to be doing every play. He’s a very trustworthy guy.” Mark Richt praised his footwork.

Another thing to note: Jon Richt said the 6-foot-6 Shirreffs, a “big ol’ tall goofy dude,” is “actually our best athlete” among the quarterbacks. “He’s the most explosive, he’s the fastest. He’s the hardest worker in the weight room. That guy’s work ethic is unreal.

Evan Shirreffs?

Jon Richt: “Evan is steady Eddie. He’s very reliable. From day one he’s been the same guy that he’s going to be at the end of his career. He’s a very consistent, reliable.”

You can read that as a positive, you're entitled to your opinion.

I read that to mean the kid is capped. And if he is anywhere close to being the starter for this team, it won't be a good thing, in my opinion.

Read more here: A look at the Miami Hurricanes quarterbacks in line to battle for starting spot | Miami Herald

Advertisement
Consistent, reliable are things typically said about a backup QB.

of the 3 QB's taken in the first round this past year, one was at north dakota st and the other was at memphis tho right?

I know you think you're making your point by using the NFL draft, but you aren't.

Robert Griffin III has proven to himself to be a bad to average NFL QB. But that has NOTHING to do with how well he played in college. The same can be said for Vince Young, and Troy Smith.

NFL teams drafting Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch doesn't really mean anything.

Lynch can't really get on the field for the Broncos, and it's not like they had stellar QB play. And the verdict is still out on Wentz.

But even if he does turn out to be legit, he played high school ball in North Dakota. Shirreffs played high school ball in Georgia ... North Georgia, at that. How many North Georgia kids fly under the radar so much that they only get 1 FBS-P5 offer? And it comes AFTER NSD ...

i dont have to make any point.

im only disproving your point, which was that its not possible for a QB to be good in college without being highly ranked or having big time offers.

i used the obvious examples of paxton lynch & carson Wentz being drafted(in the first round no less) because it was a simple and straightforward way to rebuke the clearly invalid premise. how they performed(or will perform) in the NFL has zero relevance to this discussion.

blake bortles
Jimmy Garoppolo
David Fales
Keith Wenning

Brad Sorensen
Zac Dysert

all Qb's taken in last few drafts. its not so absurd that it required the above rant. not to mention, you have someone on the team that played with sherrifs every day speaking up for him. relax

Bortles also had a better offer list. Purdue, Tulane, Colorado State, and Western Kentucky are ALL better offers than Shirreffs had.

if this is truly what you want to base your argument on, i wont argue on this point.

Shirreffs
Langham
Mahoney
McCray
Henley

the list is dwindling

You do realize were already under the scholaship limit and will not sign 8+ trnsfers to fill the void right?...nvm of course you dont understand.

Advertisement
of the 3 QB's taken in the first round this past year, one was at north dakota st and the other was at memphis tho right?

I know you think you're making your point by using the NFL draft, but you aren't.

Robert Griffin III has proven to himself to be a bad to average NFL QB. But that has NOTHING to do with how well he played in college. The same can be said for Vince Young, and Troy Smith.

NFL teams drafting Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch doesn't really mean anything.

Lynch can't really get on the field for the Broncos, and it's not like they had stellar QB play. And the verdict is still out on Wentz.

But even if he does turn out to be legit, he played high school ball in North Dakota. Shirreffs played high school ball in Georgia ... North Georgia, at that. How many North Georgia kids fly under the radar so much that they only get 1 FBS-P5 offer? And it comes AFTER NSD ...

i dont have to make any point.

im only disproving your point, which was that its not possible for a QB to be good in college without being highly ranked or having big time offers.

i used the obvious examples of paxton lynch & carson Wentz being drafted(in the first round no less) because it was a simple and straightforward way to rebuke the clearly invalid premise. how they performed(or will perform) in the NFL has zero relevance to this discussion.

But you're not disproving my premise ... You're invoking a strawman.

Your point only proves lightly recruited QBs can do well enough against lower level competition for NFL teams to take them in the draft.

I'm talking onfield performance for P5 programs ...

Give me examples of lightly recruited QBs who played for top level P5 programs, and performed well.

That's the point of my rant ... Elite teams aren't turning their programs over to QBs who didn't have quality offer lists.

Consistent, reliable are things typically said about a backup QB.

correct. because this was said early last fall, as he was competing to be the backup to kaaya as a freshman.

No. The quote I linked is from February 2, 2017.

Evan Shirreffs?

Jon Richt: “Evan is steady Eddie. He’s very reliable. From day one he’s been the same guy that he’s going to be at the end of his career. He’s a very consistent, reliable.”

Read more here: A look at the Miami Hurricanes quarterbacks in line to battle for starting spot | Miami Herald

Advertisement
lol at the legend of the Backup Quarterback. It's clear that the coaches aren't high on ANY of the 3 backups right now.

Most likely the case.

I'm just hoping Allison makes a big jump, or Weldon is game ready early.

I keep reading about Perry being a stud, but dude looks way too skinny to take any hits next season.

But who knows? Maybe he gains 20 pounds, and is ready by game 2!

Jesus wept

Simple. WWBD?

What would Butch do?

Needs to make a pretty good step forward to be the guy. This is a different era, we used to maybe have 1 guy we had some faith in. if all these kids stick around, we'll have at least 5 guys who you could still win games with. Spring will tell us a lot about how much ground Shireffs and Allison have made up. The backup job was Shireffs to take from Rosier, and he did not do that. I do love this competition, can't wait to see these guys sling it in the spring.

QB: 5
RB: 4
WR: 9
TE: 4
OL: 16
DL: 15
LB 11
DB: 14
K/P: 2

I got us at 80 scholarship players currently

Advertisement
Redshirt freshman Evan Shirreffs, Jon Richt said, is “one of the smartest guys we’ve got” and picked up the offense “faster than everybody else.” Richt said Shirreffs, a redshirt freshman, is “Steady Eddie. He’s doing what he’s supposed to be doing every play. He’s a very trustworthy guy.” Mark Richt praised his footwork.

Another thing to note: Jon Richt said the 6-foot-6 Shirreffs, a “big ol’ tall goofy dude,” is “actually our best athlete” among the quarterbacks. “He’s the most explosive, he’s the fastest. He’s the hardest worker in the weight room. That guy’s work ethic is unreal.

Evan Shirreffs?

I read that to mean the kid is capped. And if he is anywhere close to being the starter for this team, it won't be a good thing, in my opinion.

A hater is what you are. You can say that you don't think the kid should start without totally obliterating him. We have the worst fan base.

Shirreffs
Langham
Mahoney
McCray
Henley

the list is dwindling

You do realize were already under the scholaship limit and will not sign 8+ trnsfers to fill the void right?...nvm of course you dont understand.

We're 4 under now and there's always 4-5 that leave in the off season.Golden used the excuse of loss of scholarships and not been at full strength and even Richt has said it will be nice to finally be at 85 but every year we fail to close on targets and are always well below 85.Even if Richt can find 2 or 3 decent GTs we will again be in the 70s while most our opponents are at full strength.

Advertisement
I do think at least one, if not two qbs will transfer at some point.

agreed

have been similar thoughts. if the sheriff moves on, id say place like famu where he can play right away would be smart. and depending on style of offense i could see Allison reconsidering his options if he doesn't start.

Evan Shirreffs?

A hater is what you are. You can say that you don't think the kid should start without totally obliterating him. We have the worst fan base.

We have the worst fan base because my position is that we shouldn't be considering, let alone relying on, a kid who had no other P5 offers at the QB position to be our QB?

Is that how I should interpret your post?

... I'd actually argue we have the worst fan base if people really think that could/should be an acceptable proposition.

We've got a 4th year junior on the roster, who's 1-0 as a starter. We've got a 2nd-year 4-star recruit. We've got a EE 3-star recruit. And we've got a 4-star recruit who's rumored to have been the number 1 recruit for this staff in this recruiting cycle.

I think my position is actually pretty logical.

All of that noted ... I apologize for "obliterating" the kid.

Go Canes

QB: 5
RB: 4
WR: 9
TE: 4
OL: 16
DL: 15
LB 11
DB: 14
K/P: 2

I got us at 80 scholarship players currently

Which validates why you're entire thread is irrelevant. We're not cutting 5 players, that would mean we'd need 10 transfers to get back to 85. We'd be lucky to sign 5 quality transfers much less 10.

Advertisement
Back