Players who should move on

I would disagree regarding Shirreffs. Most fans don't realize that he was #2 for the bowl game. If Kaaya went down, Shirreffs was next.
The kid is brilliant. Don't look at the skinny stature. Out of the returning QB's he is the most athletic. I am not saying he will be a star, I just think he is worth keeping. Also, if he doesnt figure in the mix, I doubt he will stay.

If he's more athletic then Rosier & as brilliant as you say & as big as he is then he must be the worst throwing QB ever. Because those other things would describe first overall pick material.

Advertisement
I would disagree regarding Shirreffs. Most fans don't realize that he was #2 for the bowl game. If Kaaya went down, Shirreffs was next.
The kid is brilliant. Don't look at the skinny stature. Out of the returning QB's he is the most athletic. I am not saying he will be a star, I just think he is worth keeping. Also, if he doesnt figure in the mix, I doubt he will stay.

This follows along with everything that I had heard from the staph back in fall camp.

I don't know why it rustles so many jimmies around these parts.

lol at the legend of the Backup Quarterback. It's clear that the coaches aren't high on ANY of the 3 backups right now.

The further away from the Golden years we get, the more I hope to not see threads like this.

Even if a kid is a JAG, quality depth through the roster is something we've lacked over the last decade+. One of the things that's killed us is a 3rd, and scout, team made up of 5'9" 175 pounds kids from New Jersey. Anyone that suggests kicking a kid to the curb for being a JAG, especially when we haven't utilized all 85 scholarship spots in years, is a moron. Wait until Richt brings in another class or two, then suggestions that we mercilessly roster trim, ala Nick Saban, won't be so laughable.

The further away from the Golden years we get, the more I hope to not see threads like this.

Even if a kid is a JAG, quality depth through the roster is something we've lacked over the last decade+. One of the things that's killed us is a 3rd, and scout, team made up of 5'9" 175 pounds kids from New Jersey. Anyone that suggests kicking a kid to the curb for being a JAG, especially when we haven't utilized all 85 scholarship spots in years, is a moron. Wait until Richt brings in another class or two, then suggestions that we mercilessly roster trim, ala Nick Saban, won't be so laughable.

We only have 12 graduating seniors for 2018. We aint signing a 12 man class and we aint getting 10 early NFL departures. So that leaves attrition. Unless you want to keep holding on to kids who have no business on this team.

We have needs EVERYWHERE at RB, OL, TE, DT, CB, and S. We need to make space with kids who could contribute.

Advertisement

This follows along with everything that I had heard from the staph back in fall camp.

I don't know why it rustles so many jimmies around these parts.

Because it's a fallacy.

Duke was the final regular season game of the year. Shirreffs was fully healthy at that point. If he was the number 2 QB, why didn't he finish the game for Kaaya?

And nothing would have happened between the Duke game and the bowl game to change the QB depth chart.

It's ridiculous to keep reading about this kid being a viable option, in my opinion.

lol at the legend of the Backup Quarterback. It's clear that the coaches aren't high on ANY of the 3 backups right now.

Most likely the case.

I'm just hoping Allison makes a big jump, or Weldon is game ready early.

I keep reading about Perry being a stud, but dude looks way too skinny to take any hits next season.

But who knows? Maybe he gains 20 pounds, and is ready by game 2!

Most likely the case.

I'm just hoping Allison makes a big jump, or Weldon is game ready early.

I keep reading about Perry being a stud, but dude looks way too skinny to take any hits next season.

But who knows? Maybe he gains 20 pounds, and is ready by game 2!

Jesus wept

There is no reason to push anyone out. We are under the 85 limit and still have a few slots available for late additions via transfer, late signees etc. Let them stick around another year, and figure out if they can carve out a role on the team. If they can't carve out a role, let them graduate and move on (in rsJR case) or transfer the next year. Pushing guys out now just means less bodies on the practice field

Advertisement
The fact that some posters believe a kid who was considering Georgetown, Columbia, and VMI before Miami showed up with an offer MAY be a viable candidate to lead this team next season (or at any time) speaks volumes about how far this team is from winning anything significant, IMO.

And anyone who thinks Shirreffs has a real shot at winning the QB job better be one of the people ok with winning 7-9 games next year.

If Allison can't separate from Shirreffs this spring, then is says more about Captain Jack than it does about Shirreffs.

Allison and Shirreffs are the same QB, physically ... But one was a 4-star and the other a 3-star. 1 guy was a top 200 player in the country, the other was rated in the 1,500s in his class. One guy was rated as top-10 at his position, the other was rated 61st ...

I know recruiting ratings aren't an exact science, but someone give me a recent example of where a guy was underrated that significantly.

The legend of Evan Shirreffs being some play-maker continue to frustrate the **** out of me.

Can't wait to see this guy transfer, or prove to be the talent I keep reading he is on this board.

#EndRant

:braveheart2:

i honestly dont know the answer to this yet, but

can someone list the quarterbacks taken in the draft the last handful of years?

I'm working on a list of poRsters who need to move on.

of the 3 QB's taken in the first round this past year, one was at north dakota st and the other was at memphis tho right?

blake bortles
Jimmy Garoppolo
David Fales
Keith Wenning

Brad Sorensen
Zac Dysert

all Qb's taken in last few drafts. its not so absurd that it required the above rant. not to mention, you have someone on the team that played with sherrifs every day speaking up for him. relax

Advertisement
Redshirt freshman Evan Shirreffs, Jon Richt said, is “one of the smartest guys we’ve got” and picked up the offense “faster than everybody else.” Richt said Shirreffs, a redshirt freshman, is “Steady Eddie. He’s doing what he’s supposed to be doing every play. He’s a very trustworthy guy.” Mark Richt praised his footwork.

Another thing to note: Jon Richt said the 6-foot-6 Shirreffs, a “big ol’ tall goofy dude,” is “actually our best athlete” among the quarterbacks. “He’s the most explosive, he’s the fastest. He’s the hardest worker in the weight room. That guy’s work ethic is unreal.

A year from now, yes, but there's no reason to get rid of anyone right now. By my count, we're at 82, so we have a few spots for late signees or transfers. Any of these guys leaving now just means they're replaced on the practice squad with walk-ons. Don't see how that helps us.

This is the thing I don't get. Posters always talking about booting players like were low on scholies and there's a line of top dudes outside waiting to get in. If they want to stay, there's no reason to ask any of these guys to move on this year. Hopefully next year we're so full of talent we can look around at who to drop.

Advertisement
of the 3 QB's taken in the first round this past year, one was at north dakota st and the other was at memphis tho right?

I know you think you're making your point by using the NFL draft, but you aren't.

Robert Griffin III has proven to himself to be a bad to average NFL QB. But that has NOTHING to do with how well he played in college. The same can be said for Vince Young, and Troy Smith.

NFL teams drafting Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch doesn't really mean anything.

Lynch can't really get on the field for the Broncos, and it's not like they had stellar QB play. And the verdict is still out on Wentz.

But even if he does turn out to be legit, he played high school ball in North Dakota. Shirreffs played high school ball in Georgia ... North Georgia, at that. How many North Georgia kids fly under the radar so much that they only get 1 FBS-P5 offer? And it comes AFTER NSD ...

blake bortles
Jimmy Garoppolo
David Fales
Keith Wenning

Brad Sorensen
Zac Dysert

all Qb's taken in last few drafts. its not so absurd that it required the above rant. not to mention, you have someone on the team that played with sherrifs every day speaking up for him. relax

None of those QBs have proven to be all that good ...

Garoppolo has attempted 94 passes in 3 years ... Not 3 games ... 3 Years.

Bortles also had a better offer list. Purdue, Tulane, Colorado State, and Western Kentucky are ALL better offers than Shirreffs had.

Advertisement
Back