Lawrence Cager
Ahmmon Richards
Dionte Mullins
Evidence Njoku
Mike Harley
Jeff Thomas
DJ Dallas

Advertisement
Also i have 11 seniors on the current roster. 11 + 4 open schollies gives us a 15 man class for 2018. We ain't signing no 15 kids for 2018. Not with our huge needs and the stacked WR/CB/S and potentially RB classes.

Correct. Those kids might as well leave now so they can salvage their careers imo.

Golden thought he was doing right by offering lower tier south fla kids but they're getting passed up and will never play here.

Correct. Those kids might as well leave now so they can salvage their careers imo.

Golden thought he was doing right by offering lower tier south fla kids but they're getting passed up and will never play here.

No we need those kids for the spring. Before the rest of the 2017 class shows up. Do you even know how this works?

of the 3 QB's taken in the first round this past year, one was at north dakota st and the other was at memphis tho right?

I know you think you're making your point by using the NFL draft, but you aren't.

Robert Griffin III has proven to himself to be a bad to average NFL QB. But that has NOTHING to do with how well he played in college. The same can be said for Vince Young, and Troy Smith.

NFL teams drafting Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch doesn't really mean anything.

Lynch can't really get on the field for the Broncos, and it's not like they had stellar QB play. And the verdict is still out on Wentz.

But even if he does turn out to be legit, he played high school ball in North Dakota. Shirreffs played high school ball in Georgia ... North Georgia, at that. How many North Georgia kids fly under the radar so much that they only get 1 FBS-P5 offer? And it comes AFTER NSD ...
Well considering he sat behind his brother and then had an injury you know things happen.

Advertisement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqVhi-XM6vo

He had better pocket presence and mobility in high school than Brad Kaaya had last season. In fact, there's more film of Shirreffs avoiding pressure in the first minute of this tape than 3 years of Kaaya at UM. No clue why people knock this kid.

Advertisement
Richt has praised Shirreffs for his consistency multiple times. Apfenny is not the first person with ties into program that believes he has a chance to be the number 1 next year. You can't judge him from the limited snaps in the spring game behind the second string O-Line that got dominated by the second string D-Line, so no one here can definitively say he's not Miami caliber. People will rip on his offers, but there are plenty of QBs with far better ratings and offers that didn't pan out. Say what you will about Coley, but he was a decent recruiter and he saw something in Shirreffs.

I'm not saying he's the guy or anything, but I get the feeling that Shirreffs is going to give the coaches a real headache in the Starting QB battle.

The Shirreff hype has grown to Butch Davis level hype.

And like the BBB posts that started to pick up steam during the coaching search, the "Shirreffs has a real chance to start" posts are the same.

Butch Davis wasn't gonna be the coach at Miami, even if Richt hadn't come available. And Evan Shirreffs won't be the starting QB for Miami.

Anybody remember the QB battle between Heaps and Kaaya? Players thought Heaps would get the job, and were surprised Kaaya was named. So relying on players for feedback on their teammates isn't always the best idea.

Sheriffs will surprise folks in the spring. Guys like Barf and Baloney probably should transfer

The Shirreff hype has grown to Butch Davis level hype.

And like the BBB posts that started to pick up steam during the coaching search, the "Shirreffs has a real chance to start" posts are the same.

Butch Davis wasn't gonna be the coach at Miami, even if Richt hadn't come available. And Evan Shirreffs won't be the starting QB for Miami.

Anybody remember the QB battle between Heaps and Kaaya? Players thought Heaps would get the job, and were surprised Kaaya was named. So relying on players for feedback on their teammates isn't always the best idea.

lulz

Advertisement
I would disagree regarding Shirreffs. Most fans don't realize that he was #2 for the bowl game. If Kaaya went down, Shirreffs was next.
The kid is brilliant. Don't look at the skinny stature. Out of the returning QB's he is the most athletic. I am not saying he will be a star, I just think he is worth keeping. Also, if he doesnt figure in the mix, I doubt he will stay.

Is Rosier in the Richt doghouse? The guy stepped up big against Duke in 2015. Why is he so disregarded?

We can debate until the transfer happens.

But I think we can all agree the chances of Rosier, Allison, AND Shirreffs being on the roster with Weldon and Perry at the start of the 2017 season are not very high. One of those 3 is likely to transfer for the opportunity at more PT.

There is no reason to push anyone out. We are under the 85 limit and still have a few slots available for late additions via transfer, late signees etc. Let them stick around another year, and figure out if they can carve out a role on the team. If they can't carve out a role, let them graduate and move on (in rsJR case) or transfer the next year. Pushing guys out now just means less bodies on the practice field

Good point and with Jenkins dismissed we are now at 81.

Advertisement
of the 3 QB's taken in the first round this past year, one was at north dakota st and the other was at memphis tho right?

I know you think you're making your point by using the NFL draft, but you aren't.

Robert Griffin III has proven to himself to be a bad to average NFL QB. But that has NOTHING to do with how well he played in college. The same can be said for Vince Young, and Troy Smith.

Lynch can't really get on the field for the Broncos, and it's not like they had stellar QB play. And the verdict is still out on Wentz.

But even if he does turn out to be legit, he played high school ball in North Dakota. Shirreffs played high school ball in Georgia ... North Georgia, at that. How many North Georgia kids fly under the radar so much that they only get 1 FBS-P5 offer? And it comes AFTER NSD ...

i dont have to make any point.

im only disproving your point, which was that its not possible for a QB to be good in college without being highly ranked or having big time offers.

i used the obvious examples of paxton lynch & carson Wentz being drafted(in the first round no less) because it was a simple and straightforward way to rebuke the clearly invalid premise. how they performed(or will perform) in the NFL has zero relevance to this discussion.

But you're not disproving my premise ... You're invoking a strawman.

Your point only proves lightly recruited QBs can do well enough against lower level competition for NFL teams to take them in the draft.

I'm talking onfield performance for P5 programs ...

Give me examples of lightly recruited QBs who played for top level P5 programs, and performed well.

That's the point of my rant ... Elite teams aren't turning their programs over to QBs who didn't have quality offer lists.

you can label it a strawman if you want to change your position, that's fine with me.

we'll use your definition: "lightly recruited QB" refers to guys like paxton lynch, carson wentz, Evan Shirreffs, etc. guys without bigtime D1 offers and ranked relatively low on the recruiting services.

just as an aside.. evan shirreffs was rated higher than both kids on 247 coming out of high school.

alright so, based on your most recent post it seems that now your argument is that Evan Shirreffs cannot reasonably be considered to even be in the discussion for the starting QB job due to his being at a P5 program and being a lightly recruited/ranked QB.

this argument assumes a few things.

1. P5 programs always start or have successful, talented QB's leading their teams/in their QB races. Further, the coaches at those schools don't make mistakes in their evaluations & thus always have the best possible(for their team) QB's on their team and in their rotation.

2. Despite playing with lower level competition on their own teams, the fact that lightly recruited QB's(like paxton, carson) are performing against lower level competition negates any perceived success/talent they might have. Professional NFL scouts/execs are continuously unaware of this, and thus still spend millions of dollars and risk their livelihoods on kid's like these that clearly are not good enough for the NFL, let alone a P5 program. If paxton or carson were at a P5 program, they'd ride the bench all 4 years, and most likely never see the field

3. Recruiting services like 247 & Rivals are highly accurate when grading high school QB's & projecting their college performance.

now, if you want to change the argument to say something like:

at the time of Shirreffs signing, it's not likely that Shirreffs would ever start at miami, and in the case that he does, we most likely wont be headed towards a great deal of success. I'd be more apt to listen. but your argument was to mock the very idea that he would even be in the discussion for starting given our current situation at QB.

You're asking for a list of lightly recruited QBs who played for top level P5 programs. id ask you instead, to first list the highly recruited QB's at top level P5 programs who either never even won the starting job, or upon doing so, performed poorly.

lastly, you're begging the question. the list for lightly recruited QB's playing for top level P5 programs is of course going to be small due to the very nature of what makes them a lightly recruited QB. if they were lightly recruited, they most likely wont be at P5 programs. all it does is prove it's own definition.

EDIT: i just want to be clear. im not saying that Evan is going to start or be successful at miami. im only arguing that it's not absurd that he's being mentioned in the QB race as a legit contender.

Last edited:
You were better off not responding.

None of your long rebuttal actually answers, or even addresses, my question.

We'll agree to disagree, and see how things play out.

But I'll admit to being petty enough to tag you in the thread where Shirreffs transfers. You can feel free to tag me in the one where he's announced as the starter.

i dont have to make any point.

im only disproving your point, which was that its not possible for a QB to be good in college without being highly ranked or having big time offers.

i used the obvious examples of paxton lynch & carson Wentz being drafted(in the first round no less) because it was a simple and straightforward way to rebuke the clearly invalid premise. how they performed(or will perform) in the NFL has zero relevance to this discussion.

But you're not disproving my premise ... You're invoking a strawman.

Your point only proves lightly recruited QBs can do well enough against lower level competition for NFL teams to take them in the draft.

I'm talking onfield performance for P5 programs ...

Give me examples of lightly recruited QBs who played for top level P5 programs, and performed well.

That's the point of my rant ... Elite teams aren't turning their programs over to QBs who didn't have quality offer lists.

you can label it a strawman if you want to change your position, that's fine with me.

we'll use your definition: "lightly recruited QB" refers to guys like paxton lynch, carson wentz, Evan Shirreffs, etc. guys without bigtime D1 offers and ranked relatively low on the recruiting services.

just as an aside.. evan shirreffs was rated higher than both kids on 247 coming out of high school.

alright so, based on your most recent post it seems that now your argument is that Evan Shirreffs cannot reasonably be considered to even be in the discussion for the starting QB job due to his being at a P5 program and being a lightly recruited/ranked QB.

this argument assumes a few things.

1. P5 programs always start or have successful, talented QB's leading their teams/in their QB races. Further, the coaches at those schools don't make mistakes in their evaluations & thus always have the best possible(for their team) QB's on their team and in their rotation.

2. Despite playing with lower level competition on their own teams, the fact that lightly recruited QB's(like paxton, carson) are performing against lower level competition negates any perceived success/talent they might have. Professional NFL scouts/execs are continuously unaware of this, and thus still spend millions of dollars and risk their livelihoods on kid's like these that clearly are not good enough for the NFL, let alone a P5 program. If paxton or carson were at a P5 program, they'd ride the bench all 4 years, and most likely never see the field

3. Recruiting services like 247 & Rivals are highly accurate when grading high school QB's & projecting their college performance.

now, if you want to change the argument to say something like:

at the time of Shirreffs signing, it's not likely that Shirreffs would ever start at miami, and in the case that he does, we most likely wont be headed towards a great deal of success. I'd be more apt to listen. but your argument was to mock the very idea that he would even be in the discussion for starting given our current situation at QB.

You're asking for a list of lightly recruited QBs who played for top level P5 programs. id ask you instead, to first list the highly recruited QB's at top level P5 programs who either never even won the starting job, or upon doing so, performed poorly.

lastly, you're begging the question. the list for lightly recruited QB's playing for top level P5 programs is of course going to be small due to the very nature of what makes them a lightly recruited QB. if they were lightly recruited, they most likely wont be at P5 programs. all it does is prove it's own definition.

I appreciate the post. Every offseason we see 3-5 kids transfer out. Rok is just stating the ones he would prefer to see go, as opposed to a key contributor like Courtel should have been.

If we're at 81, that's 4 + the 11 senior + 2-3 early departures for the NFL, or 17-18 spots. We'll need 25 for sure. I believe no one will complain if the bottom 2 QBs on the depth chart after summer transfer out. That's 19-20 and we still need 5-6 more to open up.

I will take Rok's 4 non-QBs of Langham, Mahoney, McCray, Henley and add two more in Jahir Jones and Mayes to top us off. Then we'll be ready to add the right kids in 2018.

Advertisement
Back