Players who should move on

of the 3 QB's taken in the first round this past year, one was at north dakota st and the other was at memphis tho right?

I know you think you're making your point by using the NFL draft, but you aren't.

Robert Griffin III has proven to himself to be a bad to average NFL QB. But that has NOTHING to do with how well he played in college. The same can be said for Vince Young, and Troy Smith.

NFL teams drafting Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch doesn't really mean anything.

Lynch can't really get on the field for the Broncos, and it's not like they had stellar QB play. And the verdict is still out on Wentz.

But even if he does turn out to be legit, he played high school ball in North Dakota. Shirreffs played high school ball in Georgia ... North Georgia, at that. How many North Georgia kids fly under the radar so much that they only get 1 FBS-P5 offer? And it comes AFTER NSD ...

i dont have to make any point.

im only disproving your point, which was that its not possible for a QB to be good in college without being highly ranked or having big time offers.

i used the obvious examples of paxton lynch & carson Wentz being drafted(in the first round no less) because it was a simple and straightforward way to rebuke the clearly invalid premise. how they performed(or will perform) in the NFL has zero relevance to this discussion.

But you're not disproving my premise ... You're invoking a strawman.

Your point only proves lightly recruited QBs can do well enough against lower level competition for NFL teams to take them in the draft.

I'm talking onfield performance for P5 programs ...

Give me examples of lightly recruited QBs who played for top level P5 programs, and performed well.

That's the point of my rant ... Elite teams aren't turning their programs over to QBs who didn't have quality offer lists.

While there are exceptions to every rule that prove/disprove nothing, I'm surprised no one has brought up the ultimate exception to yours. Aaron Rodgers wasn't recruited at all coming out of high school, and only went JuCo to try to get noticed before lighting it up at Cal, and the rest is history.

Obviously, that means **** when it comes to Shieriffs, as it neither proves or disproves anything really. Just because it has happened before, doesn't mean it'll happen again; and if it had never happened, it doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the future.

Yes, the odds are against Sherieffs based on history. But the best QB will earn the job, and other people's history will have no actual effect on whether that person is successful or not.

Advertisement
[MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] you have seen QB's in spring the last 2 season. What is your thoughts on the race and how has it changed with Richt's offense compared to Coley's?

We'll agree to disagree, and see how things play out.

But I'll admit to being petty enough to tag you in the thread where Shirreffs transfers. You can feel free to tag me in the one where he's announced as the starter.

we'll know by the end of spring if he's going to be a factor at QB. he's entering his 3rd season. if he cant separate himself from rosier, allison, & weldon ...at least by taking a decent share of the 1st team reps, then i cant imagine he'll ever be the guy as its only going to get more competitive from there.

but im biased. i happen to like having a sharp, reliable, low turnover type kid at QB in college. big arms arent as important to me. kid hit around 70% in high school, 39 Td's with only 4 int's. won a lot of games. he's clearly bright, has the size you want, and the coaches claim he's the best athlete of the bunch(maybe weldon will be now).

definitely feel free to call me out if the kid never does anything & ends up transferring. but, i knew very little about him until i heard Pfenninger mention him as being someone to look out for. i read up on him, watched his film, and now because of this thread, i have someone to pull for in the QB race. so i at least thank you for that. makes it more fun.

if you had to call it now, who's your pick to get the job this fall?

I think Allison and Rosier finish 1 and 2 (not sure who is 1, though) after spring. I think Weldon will be number 3.

I think Perry redshirts.

Assuming Rosier never starts next year, or he loses the job next spring, I think he becomes a grad transfer.

And our QBs for 2018 are Allison, Weldon, Perry, and a Freshman. 2018 is "suppose" to be the year the roster expects to be fully loaded. Any 1 of the 3 can own the position, by then.

I feel you about your preference for being reliable. Especially at QB. I get it.

But I also think the stats you listed are EXACTLY why I question how so many D1 coaches could miss that kid. Stats and measurables for a kid in GA don't fly under the radar, in my opinion. And the UGA QB depth chart was a mess when that kid came out. South Carolina, too. Those 2 schools heavily recruit north Georgia. It would seem to me, schools like Memphis, Kentucky, or Vandy should have been in the mix for him.

But I could be wrong ... won't be the first or last time. Lol

IF Allison is a bust, then I think they keep Shirreffs as the 3rd QB behind Rosier and Weldon. I think Weldon and Rosier are the same QB, so I think they'll both be on the roster because the offense can be the same.

But I think Allison and Shirreffs are competing for the same roster spot, and I think Allison gets it. Totally based on high school rankings, and nothing else.

We'll agree to disagree, and see how things play out.

But I'll admit to being petty enough to tag you in the thread where Shirreffs transfers. You can feel free to tag me in the one where he's announced as the starter.

we'll know by the end of spring if he's going to be a factor at QB. he's entering his 3rd season. if he cant separate himself from rosier, allison, & weldon ...at least by taking a decent share of the 1st team reps, then i cant imagine he'll ever be the guy as its only going to get more competitive from there.

but im biased. i happen to like having a sharp, reliable, low turnover type kid at QB in college. big arms arent as important to me. kid hit around 70% in high school, 39 Td's with only 4 int's. won a lot of games. he's clearly bright, has the size you want, and the coaches claim he's the best athlete of the bunch(maybe weldon will be now).

definitely feel free to call me out if the kid never does anything & ends up transferring. but, i knew very little about him until i heard Pfenninger mention him as being someone to look out for. i read up on him, watched his film, and now because of this thread, i have someone to pull for in the QB race. so i at least thank you for that. makes it more fun.

if you had to call it now, who's your pick to get the job this fall?

Last edited:
Advertisement
yea, after reading about his senior year, im very confused as to why bigger schools never gave him much time. extremely odd. his mechanics and release are a lil goofy. at least they were in high school.

but hey, may the best man win.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back