Players maturing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading on Canespace in 2010 that a NFL scout said that Miami had the worst coached roster in CFB. Player development has been an issue for while - I remember the vaunted 2008 class looking more impressive in 2008 than they did in 2010.
In the last 20 years, how many players were significantly better in their senior season than in their freshman season?

Advertisement
A lot of these guys have gotten by on talent alone and their asses have been kissed for far too long

The guys that make it in college and the NFL have superior talent and non stop work ethic

That’s what made Miami great

You’re 100% correct.

That’s why it still baffles me that Mario got hoodwinked by Gattis. Gattis is a byproduct of his environment…. His teams and players don’t get better because of him….

Gattis has proven he has great intuition when to hop to the next job. Aside from that, and being at Bama with Mario, and that stupid @ss award last year, what did Mario see from a tangible in field development standpoint
Really makes you wonder who the other finalists were.

In the last 20 years, how many players were significantly better in their senior season than in their freshman season?
A handful at best , one of the greatest football speeches I heard was The Playmaker and the responsibilities the U on the helmet brings and how it’s almost crushing in trying to live up to what past players had worked to accomplish for the players coming after them .

I don’t think he’s done that speech lately because he sees what I’ve seen and you’d be lucky to keep there attention so why waste your breath.

I saw it tried to bring it out and very few listened to experience, I was raised with the forefathers of the U broke bread countless times let alone training with them.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Braxton Berrios. Stephen Morris. Philip Dorsett. Leonard Hankerson. DeeJay Dallas. Travis Homer. That’s all that I can think of.
Morris was actually better junior year. He was going to have a big senior year until his ankle/Achilles injury against Savannah State. Homer was better as a soph. If numbers would have been better if he got more touches earlier in the year.

The fact that Mario has to have "sit downs" with our 5-star player and his mommy just shows what kind of pathetic state this program is in.
And this is just the **** that makes the paper.
There's even more crap going on behind the scenes.

This dude Manny left us with no talent, no balls, no work ethic, no accountability and no character. The culture within the program was a complete **** show.
Hey leader of the restrpo fan club, can you just not chime in on this and appreciate he's making the changes and learning. Appreacite that a teenager has taking a step in the right direction. Part of the problem in the culture is your old players, you were their coach.... some leadership you showed them huh macho..

Basically more of the same type of narrative here...

WHY?!
THE?!
****?!
Is this even a thing?!

Why the fvck do we have "elite" highly ranked contributors talking about finally taking football seriously?!
(by the way, these aren't our only stars who take football as a joke. there's more)

This is why I'm trying to tell people that this **** is gonna take (1) time and (2) a purge.
This roster is full of cancer.

I used to work at a global brand well known for product excellence and innovation at velocity. I now work for a brand known for its financial strength but that unfortunately is not a product leader. I can tell you no matter how motivated I am (and I am motivated), the change in pace and culture has negatively affected my personal productivity. It's impossible to be at your best when you're sitting around waiting for others to get their job done that you depend on. It's also demotivational to always be the most committed guy in the room, pushing everyone else while not being pushed reciprocally.

So, yeah, I could easily see a naturally self-motivated guy like TS get his head up his *** and need Steele and Cristobal to pull it out for him.

Advertisement
A thread was started a while ago about a former player at alabama (amari cooper?) visiting practice and seeing an incoming freshman acting a fool, then approached him and said "We don't do that here" and coached him up a bit. Now contrast that with our older players, supposed leaders on the team, seeing X come in as a freshman putting in extra work, then they approach him and say "We don't do that here" and dog him for it.
This. I believe Mario is installing a “System”, which includes all of the components that make a program successful (this is one reason why he has this job), and have been talked about here ad nauseam. But just focusing on the culture, what exactly does that entail? A way of thinking by the players? A way of behavior by the players? A certain way to be bought into by the players? Personal motivation and responsibility by the players? When all said and done, who’s gonna enforce it? Who’s gonna keep the culture alive and lived by? I believe once it leaves the coaches’ presence (who must do their job extremely well), your reference above is 100% essential. Outside of coaches, senior players must become their voice off the field, in social interactions, and sometimes on the field. We used to have this prior to early 2000s, we lost it somehow.

Basically more of the same type of narrative here...

WHY?!
THE?!
****?!
Is this even a thing?!

Why the fvck do we have "elite" highly ranked contributors talking about finally taking football seriously?!
(by the way, these aren't our only stars who take football as a joke. there's more)

This is why I'm trying to tell people that this **** is gonna take (1) time and (2) a purge.
This roster is full of cancer.

Purge #1:

2021-22 class
Transfers/Commits - 26 in / 16 out

2022-23 class should be even more dramatic. The expectation is we take around 30 HS commits and that we will be VERY active in the portal, both bringing in and sending out.

If the transfer rate only mirrors last year, you turnover 15-16.

My guess is turnover will be around 20-25 in the portal.

Suddenly you go from 85 Mannys to about 50 Mario’s to 35 Mannys.

The character influence alone should do wonders for the entire locker room and drastically change the programs direction.

Advertisement
Hey leader of the restrpo fan club, can you just not chime in on this and appreciate he's making the changes and learning. Appreacite that a teenager has taking a step in the right direction. Part of the problem in the culture is your old players, you were their coach.... some leadership you showed them huh macho..
This gotta be a troll job. 🤣

This gotta be a troll job. 🤣
No lol. I dont like you, i think people let you get away with saying some really absurd things on here just because your a south florida highschool assistant coach (which means absolutely nothing) to people outside of canesinsight. You show nepotism in your evaluations and opinions and are hypocritical. your mother delivered a anencephalic child in you.

Leonard Taylor is 20 years old.

Advertisement
If your splitting hairs fine. He's still young and becoming one of our best players. He's one of the only few kids on the team to admit he needed to step up. I'm not disagreeing it's a problem throughout the team but to bash him for this is not right
This is not splitting hairs, I can expect a 20 year old to sit in a meeting with the head coach without his mom being around.

Yup, yet so many act like these upperclassmen didn't just spend three years under Manny Diaz and his broken culture; no repercussions for actions, soft beta who wanted to be liked / afraid his best players would bail if he cracked down on them. letting J-Williams start against FIU after missing curfew, etc.

Mario and staff might be able to save some of these kids, but there are a lot that are too far gone—not ready to roll up their sleeves to work and lay a foundation as their days at Miami are almost done and they've just spent two to three years mailing it in.
Man Williams didn’t just kiss curfew lol. It was more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back