Players ****ed at D'Nofrio

theyre not gonna say what they really feel to the media when NFL scouts will ask their coaches how these kids were at the school. the duke and dorsett tweets during Duke was all you need to know

And you really think if the entire team hates this guy that the supposed leaders of the D would be compelled to go out and say crazy things like he's a defensive genius? I could see if it was some muted praise of the guy but these kids are coming off as full on KoolAid drinkers. Just not seeing the dissent a lot of people are wishing for.
I think an argument can be made that the dissent is occurring on the field. Players came ready to play against UL and the coaches snatched that game away from them. These guys have not been the same since the VT game last year. I think they've tuned the coaches out. They came out for UL for vengeance, coaches snatched that from them. These kids hate this scheme and I believe don't like their coaches and it's evident by their play on the field.

I'd give some credence to this. The dissent could also just be frustration as it was mentioned by a few players that there was a lot of "freelancing" going on. These kids are still blaming themselves for not running the system properly though and resorting to the freelancing as opposed to blaming the actual system.

so did u believe Saban when he said he wasn't going to be Alabamas HC in 2006?

You should be ashamed of yourself for even comparing our dear kids on this team to the devil incarnate. Our children are pure of heart. Lil Nicky is the antichrist.

Advertisement
For better or worse, you guys can't actually point to one current player (brainwashed or not) that has said anything remotely critical of D'onofrio. You can't even point to anything a kid said that later was claimed to be taken out of context. I know A LOT of us WISH this was the case but it's simply not- no matter what "inside" info Syracuse Kup and UiF Crowder claim to have. If anything, players rush to defend the guy in an almost unreasonable fashion.

Btw, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is not always a wise course of action. I'm not ever getting in bed with agenda driven Kuperstein or complete idiot Crowder no matter how much I may think their drivel is helping my cause.

I know for a fact that plenty of players on the team don't like Golden or D'onofrio.

That very well may be the case (as it probably is on every team) but that doesn't negate the fact that guys that don't have to worry about playing time being taken away run to the guy's defense very publicly in an almost over the top fashion. There are guys openly saying things like "Coach (D'onofrio) is a great football mind. Maybe the greatest football mind." with a straight face. Again, we might wish for mass team dissent or hatred or this guy but there simply are no real signs of it.

Did they "run" to the press, or did the press ask them questions when they were made available for interviews? Big difference, sport. I've never once seen a college player say anything remotely critical of a coach in an interview. They're invariably effusive in their praise.

I'll never forget Tracy Howard's interview his freshmans year and the effusive praise he was spewing about Duh'Nofrio at the same time that everyone who knew him knew he hated Duh' and that they were clearly at odds.

Sport, these kids again are saying with a straight face that D'onofrio is "the greatest football mind" as they repeatedly throw themselves and their own teammates under the bus. These kids aren't THAT media savy to take it to that level all for show. If so, we must be the only program in the country with kids so willing to do so for a guy they hate with a passion.

And please don't take this as a defense of the D'onofrio from me. I just don't believe that these kids hate him as much as we may wish they would.
Here is what kids hate. Losing, getting embarrassed over and over. Playing and getting throttled since the day No D and Golden arrived. They may well be likeable guys but to sit there in your lala lala love fest you are seeing means nothing. If they love them so much why is their philosophy not taking hold, why do we keep losing over and over and over? No one cares about your personal feelings and who is a nice guy. The performance is saying everything to the contrary.

I know for a fact that plenty of players on the team don't like Golden or D'onofrio.

That very well may be the case (as it probably is on every team) but that doesn't negate the fact that guys that don't have to worry about playing time being taken away run to the guy's defense very publicly in an almost over the top fashion. There are guys openly saying things like "Coach (D'onofrio) is a great football mind. Maybe the greatest football mind." with a straight face. Again, we might wish for mass team dissent or hatred or this guy but there simply are no real signs of it.

Did they "run" to the press, or did the press ask them questions when they were made available for interviews? Big difference, sport. I've never once seen a college player say anything remotely critical of a coach in an interview. They're invariably effusive in their praise.

I'll never forget Tracy Howard's interview his freshmans year and the effusive praise he was spewing about Duh'Nofrio at the same time that everyone who knew him knew he hated Duh' and that they were clearly at odds.

Sport, these kids again are saying with a straight face that D'onofrio is "the greatest football mind" as they repeatedly throw themselves and their own teammates under the bus. These kids aren't THAT media savy to take it to that level all for show. If so, we must be the only program in the country with kids so willing to do so for a guy they hate with a passion.

And please don't take this as a defense of the D'onofrio from me. I just don't believe that these kids hate him as much as we may wish they would.
Here is what kids hate. Losing, getting embarrassed over and over. Playing and getting throttled since the day No D and Golden arrived. They may well be likeable guys but to sit there in your lala lala love fest you are seeing means nothing. If they love them so much why is their philosophy not taking hold, why do we keep losing over and over and over? No one cares about your personal feelings and who is a nice guy. The performance is saying everything to the contrary.

Because Gold'onofrio have them believing that if they'd just run the scheme right that all that we'd win these games. Look, I'm with you. Even if the scheme is sound, then their ability to get the kids they picked to run it properly is lacking. They can't have it both ways and blame execution as if they're not the ones responsible for teaching execution as well. I'm just not with the rest of ya yet in believing that these kids are blaming the staff en masse yet. They're probably to commended for that.

Because Gold'onofrio have them believing that if they'd just run the scheme right that all that we'd win these games. Look, I'm with you. Even if the scheme is sound, then their ability to get the kids they picked to run it properly is lacking. They can't have it both ways and blame execution as if they're not the ones responsible for teaching execution as well. I'm just not with the rest of ya yet in believing that these kids are blaming the staff en masse yet. They're probably to commended for that.
These are good kids, and maybe that's a problem. They Are Never Going to make it public what they really feel. That's career suicide.....especially those who have pro aspirations. If they don't make a U turn as in the next two games. People will be canned and stuff will start coming out.

Kuperstein just mentioned on QAM that defense was ****ed No D threw them under bus. He'll be gone after GT.

this is what some of us were hoping. Donofrio's comments threw the players under the bus when he said we don't have enough talent and guys were messing up. That has to continue in order to force Al's hand.

I want no d fired but you guys need to do your own research and not believe everything u read on these sites. No D didn't say we don't have talent. He said " talent is not enough". Comprehension skills concludes this to mean thy being talented alone doesn't get the job done. A matter of fact if you go read the whole quote not the chopped up narrative edition on these boards. He continued to say that you can have all the talent but if u are responsible for a gap and leave it wide open the offense will have success regardless of how good u are. Makes sense but he still sucks

Dude. he said our talent is not enough.What Don't you understand?
Asked why the team can’t win big games with the amount of talent it has on defense, D’Onofrio responded: “At the end of the day, talent is not enough.”

“Execution is what you need to have,” he continued. “I’ve been talking about that here for a long time. You have to execute. If you don’t have a guy in his gap, it doesn’t matter how talented he is. The gap’s open and somebody runs through it. That has nothing to do with talent.”

Yes, that's what I said, the talent's not enough, we need more.

Advertisement
this is what some of us were hoping. Donofrio's comments threw the players under the bus when he said we don't have enough talent and guys were messing up. That has to continue in order to force Al's hand.

I want no d fired but you guys need to do your own research and not believe everything u read on these sites. No D didn't say we don't have talent. He said " talent is not enough". Comprehension skills concludes this to mean thy being talented alone doesn't get the job done. A matter of fact if you go read the whole quote not the chopped up narrative edition on these boards. He continued to say that you can have all the talent but if u are responsible for a gap and leave it wide open the offense will have success regardless of how good u are. Makes sense but he still sucks

Asked why the team can’t win big games with the amount of talent it has on defense, D’Onofrio responded: “At the end of the day, talent is not enough.”

“Execution is what you need to have,” he continued. “I’ve been talking about that here for a long time. You have to execute. If you don’t have a guy in his gap, it doesn’t matter how talented he is. The gap’s open and somebody runs through it. That has nothing to do with talent.”

And that's not what No D was getting at. He wasn't saying we didn't have enough talent, he was saying the talented guys can't just be talented guys, they have to execute.

Kuperstein just mentioned on QAM that defense was ****ed No D threw them under bus. He'll be gone after GT.

Could that be cause for Gorlden's odd comments pointing out that when he says we did not execute he doesn't mean just the players (paraphrased)?

Doesn't matter if he said talent or execution or both.
He keeps throwing players under the bus.
Players don't trust coaches = FAILURE

Advertisement

That's what you said. That's not, however, what he said. I'll paraphrase it for you in context. "Talent is not enough. You need to have execution, too. It doesn't matter the talent level if we don't execute." Nowhere is the guy saying we don't have ENOUGH talent. Of all the things you guys canlegitimately criticize, you're reaching on this one.

Doesn't matter what he said, or players understood. Due to his defensive scheme, he doesn't put players in position to best use their talent.

We can talk about this tangential stuff all day long, but the whole system is rotten to the core.

These are good kids, and maybe that's a problem. They Are Never Going to make it public what they really feel. That's career suicide.....especially those who have pro aspirations. If they don't make a U turn as in the next two games. People will be canned and stuff will start coming out.

That's why i say every team need a few goons it makes for a perfect balance.. close mouths dont get fed they need to let the coaches know this scheme is not working...

Advertisement
All you need to do is watch games for the truth. The team freelances because they don't believe in what they're doing. They get demoralized and give up in long stretches--again because they don't have faith in what they're doing. I don't know whether the defensive players like the coaches or not. I actually don't care. Whatever the case, there is plenty of evidence that they don't believe in the plan.

All you need to do is watch games for the truth. The team freelances because they don't believe in what they're doing. They get demoralized and give up in long stretches--again because they don't have faith in what they're doing. I don't know whether the defensive players like the coaches or not. I actually don't care. Whatever the case, there is plenty of evidence that they don't believe in the plan.
Agreed. The point has been made in several threads but it bears repeating -- let's assume for a moment that the scheme is sound and that the reason we are getting gashed routinely is because players are ******** up -- well who's fault is it that year 4 into this system, players are still caught out of position, blowing coverages, taking bad angles, missing tackles, and looking lost when the ball is in the air? Do the coaches bear no responsibility for not teaching the players how to execute this "brilliant" defense?

And that's not what No D was getting at. He wasn't saying we didn't have enough talent, he was saying the talented guys can't just be talented guys, they have to execute.

Can't this same logic be applied to D'Onofrio?? Maybe he is talented with respect to his defensive knowledge but he certainly fails in the execution of his job.

Advertisement
Kids have been told since Day One, "Trust the Process."

Well, "The Process" isn't really a process at all. It's an empty sack. A delusion.

Perpetuated by two damned Yankees who know as much about football, as an amoeba knows about fornicating.

That's why i say every team need a few goons it makes for a perfect balance.. close mouths dont get fed they need to let the coaches know this scheme is not working...

I'd pay a ridiculous amount of money to sit in on a defensive film session following one of these type losses. Everyone wants to frame Alfred as the slickest used car salesman they've ever seen. Maybe D'onofrio is even better and just hides it publicly as I still believe he's able to sell the belief that the scheme will work if you just stop effin it up to these kids every Monday or Tuesday. And as has been established long before this, the scheme might actually be an excellent one(that obviously has been debated as nauseam) but at some freakin' point you have to be a good judge of your "employees" and what they're capable of executing to maximize their results. Having high expectations of the aptitude of your guys is one thing, setting the bar so high that you repeatedly sacrifice current success for some delusion of grandeur down the line of these kids running it how you see fit is another.

The players need to get together and set up their own defensive scheme. A 4-3. When Dorito calls the defense, they just ignore him and play their way. What is Golden going to do; bench the whole starting defense?

if they did that then yes, any coach would have to bench the players. you can't openly defy a coach that brazenly - even an inept one - and keep playing. but who knows, that might have the desired effect of hastening a coaching change.

This is interesting! If the players can be convinced to unify maybe they can force the issue. Remember the Grambling Football Boycott last year. Although it was for a different reason, they got the desired effect. It's a reach but at this point I will do anything!

Agreed. The point has been made in several threads but it bears repeating -- let's assume for a moment that the scheme is sound and that the reason we are getting gashed routinely is because players are ******** up -- well who's fault is it that year 4 into this system, players are still caught out of position, blowing coverages, taking bad angles, missing tackles, and looking lost when the ball is in the air? Do the coaches bear no responsibility for not teaching the players how to execute this "brilliant" defense?

Whether talent, execution or whatever, after four years of the same thing, it is on the staff.

Advertisement
Back