Player Attrition

Advertisement
Clemson is playing with 80-85 kids
Miami is playing with 70ish kids

We are still fighting off probation years and 2021 could be the year we get to 85 due to the ncaa giving everyone an extra year. We can sign 25, have 10 leave and just get to 85. Those at 85 will not be able to sign many kids without the ncaa changing the limits from 85.

It’s a big issue. We can’t have guys leaving to be Day 3 picks.

D, how is Miami helping these kids make money off of their name allowing them to stay for a fourth year while also paying the bills for kids, family...?

If Miami can crack the early departure issues, 2021 and beyond will be pretty good looking. It starts with Bolden, Phillips, King, Cam, Williams, Ford, Nesta...

Tell that to etienne
Etienne has a NC to play for this season, and claims to want to get his degree. And, if you believe the Bag Game, he is already getting paid. He’s an outlier for a program of outliers not declaring. See Bag Game reference.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know I may be beating a dead horse... This is from a Barry Jackson article that's a week old but I think it's so pertinent to our talent gap.

It doesn't matter how well we recruit if we can't keep/develop our dang players. Call me crazy, but I have a feeling, had Hightower stayed, he would've been a lot better last night than the clown show of receivers we witnessed last night.

Ross, their best receiver wasn't even suited up.

Why are Clemson's best players on the field in the 4th quarter when they could've opted out and been a lock for #1 overall (Lawrence) and #1 taken at his position (Etienne) in the draft? Meanwhile Rousseau our best player who isn't even a 1st round lock, opts out and Deejay Dallas leaves to be a 4th round pick. Bama has tons of guys come back for their senior year.

Until we fix that mentality we won't compete with the big dogs. Or maybe we just need to find another Nevin Shapiro to pay our players.

God, I hope Bolden and Phillips stay another year.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article246253045.html

In 2017, Rivals rated UM’s class 11th and Clemson’s 22nd, and it’s fair for Canes fans to cite that and ask why the heck the Canes have been stratospheres away from Clemson’s level in 2018 and 2019.

But here’s why that 2017 ranking will be of no help to UM this week: Of the 24 players in that highly-rated UM class, 13 aren’t on the team and three more are sitting out this season.

The 13 gone include players who regrettably left early (rookies Jeff Thomas and Trajan Bandy, neither of whom is employed by an NFL team); Packers backup defensive end Jon Garvin; Seahawks No. 4 tailback DeeJay Dallas; a top defensive recruit (Deonte Johnson) who left for Oregon; and several disappointments (Jhavonte Dean, Kai -Leon Herbert among them). Herbert, a backup, opted out of playing this season.

Conversely, 10 of the 14 players signed by Clemson that year have either been high NFL draft picks or are contributing for the Tigers this season, including A.J. Terrell and Tee Higgins (the 11th and 33rd picks in April’s draft); Rodgers; and Travis Etienne, who has gone from a three-star back unranked in Rivals’ top 250 to perhaps the best running back in America.

So even in a year that recruiting services say UM had a better class, Clemson ends up ahead.

Same, to a lesser extent, with 2018. Rivals ranked UM’s class sixth and Clemson’s eighth.

But UM saw four blue-chippers from that class transfer: five-star running back Lorenzo Lingard, four-star receivers Brian Hightower and Marquez Ezzard and quarterback Jarren Williams.
Been tellin yinz for years, neother HS ratings nor down the road nfl kids tell you a complete story in what you bring to the field in college. Lack of depth, lack of experience, lake of maturity, lack of power, these things all matter. Coupla marginal nfl players doesn’t mean as much as folks wanna think.

We need to evaluate better, address our needs better, keep kids in the program better, find real QBs better, and combine all that with S&C, scheme, game planning, play calling and disciplined execution. There ain’t a part of the game we ‘there’ at yet.

Correct. And if those guys in 5 years are fringe nfl players, we shouldn’t look back in their barely existent UM careers with nostalgia.
We used to be ‘First Round U’, now we’re ‘Day 3 UDFA U’. Definitely not the same thing.

Advertisement
In their defense, the players leaving early the past dozen years or so had nothing to play for. Why come back to another mediocre season with average coaching?

Clemson’s returning players saw a NC in their future. There is the risk of injury, but a NC is why you’re playing at Clemson. That’s why Ed Reed came back for his senior season.
Sorry man but there is no defense. Nothing is guaranteed even a championship. But it is guarantee that if they stay the team will be better will be deeper and can withstand injury suspensions etc. etc. having another receiver like Jeff Thomas out there would’ve helped a lot. Or maybe it wouldn’t cause his head would be in the wrong place so I don’t know how much he would help. Having a veteran that’s quick that’s aggressive and has a high football like you like bandy would be huge. Having another defensive and liquor so would be tremendous. We could go on over the past years how this has been one of the biggest if not the biggest problems that’s affected Miami. Look how bad our D tangle position has been for the past few years. RJ and Kendrick staying for one more year would’ve helped this defense tremendously.
The reason Clemsons defense has been so dominant the past few years it’s just the people they put on a defense of line to put so much pressure on the quarterback no one can even develop a **** play. The guards get no leverage on anything with the guys they’ve had upfront.
Nesta wouldn’t start or be back up on that team.

It's comical that people talk about the failure of MIA coaching to develop talent, but fail to acknowledge that in many instances player development is a product of player retention. At least it is when it comes to successful programs. Player development then ultimately affects recruiting

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sorry man but there is no defense. Nothing is guaranteed even a championship. But it is guarantee that if they stay the team will be better will be deeper and can withstand injury suspensions etc. etc. having another receiver like Jeff Thomas out there would’ve helped a lot. Or maybe it wouldn’t cause his head would be in the wrong place so I don’t know how much he would help. Having a veteran that’s quick that’s aggressive and has a high football like you like bandy would be huge. Having another defensive and liquor so would be tremendous. We could go on over the past years how this has been one of the biggest if not the biggest problems that’s affected Miami. Look how bad our D tangle position has been for the past few years. RJ and Kendrick staying for one more year would’ve helped this defense tremendously.
The reason Clemsons defense has been so dominant the past few years it’s just the people they put on a defense of line to put so much pressure on the quarterback no one can even develop a **** play. The guards get no leverage on anything with the guys they’ve had upfront.
Nesta wouldn’t start or be back up on that team.
Huh?

If you were phillips would you stay with his history of injuries?if he stays healthy he should go get what he can while he can.jordan is another one that keeps getting injured as much as we would like to keep them probably better for them to leave.

As of right now Phillips might be a Day 3 pick on potential alone. He just got his first sack vs Clemson. Wouldnt be surprising based on our past but I dont see him having the resume to leave

GR15 will be a first round pick. His opting out was COVID. His mother is a frontline nurse. I was disappointed but don’t blame him.

DJ had no reason to stay. A running back’s shelf life can be rather short and he isn’t going to improve. Same for Homer.

I dont know this for a fact, but I'd bet good $ GR15 used Covid as an excuse. And thats fine. At his age and health, he is more likely to face career threatening injuries driving to practice than from Covid.

Advertisement
I dont know this for a fact, but I'd bet good $ GR15 used Covid as an excuse. And thats fine. At his age and health, he is more likely to face career threatening injuries driving to practice than from Covid.
Perhaps.

Miami sold their soul as NFL U and now kids are all three and done regardless of draft predictions. Guys who are locks for the first or second round should leave. What Clemson has managed to do with getting first round locks to stay in school isn’t something that happens anywhere else. Miami needs to work on keeping these 4th-7th rounders around for a senior season. It’s something that needs to be emphasized with players and recruits alike

Etienne has a NC to play for this season, and claims to want to get his degree. And, if you believe the Bag Game, he is already getting paid. He’s an outlier for a program of outliers not declaring. See Bag Game reference.
But can Clemson get away with paying him for a 5th season?

Advertisement
Back