Player Attrition

Walsh5

Recruit
I know I may be beating a dead horse... This is from a Barry Jackson article that's a week old but I think it's so pertinent to our talent gap.

It doesn't matter how well we recruit if we can't keep/develop our dang players. Call me crazy, but I have a feeling, had Hightower stayed, he would've been a lot better last night than the clown show of receivers we witnessed last night.

Ross, their best receiver wasn't even suited up.

Why are Clemson's best players on the field in the 4th quarter when they could've opted out and been a lock for #1 overall (Lawrence) and #1 taken at his position (Etienne) in the draft? Meanwhile Rousseau our best player who isn't even a 1st round lock, opts out and Deejay Dallas leaves to be a 4th round pick. Bama has tons of guys come back for their senior year.

Until we fix that mentality we won't compete with the big dogs. Or maybe we just need to find another Nevin Shapiro to pay our players.

God, I hope Bolden and Phillips stay another year.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article246253045.html

In 2017, Rivals rated UM’s class 11th and Clemson’s 22nd, and it’s fair for Canes fans to cite that and ask why the heck the Canes have been stratospheres away from Clemson’s level in 2018 and 2019.

But here’s why that 2017 ranking will be of no help to UM this week: Of the 24 players in that highly-rated UM class, 13 aren’t on the team and three more are sitting out this season.

The 13 gone include players who regrettably left early (rookies Jeff Thomas and Trajan Bandy, neither of whom is employed by an NFL team); Packers backup defensive end Jon Garvin; Seahawks No. 4 tailback DeeJay Dallas; a top defensive recruit (Deonte Johnson) who left for Oregon; and several disappointments (Jhavonte Dean, Kai -Leon Herbert among them). Herbert, a backup, opted out of playing this season.

Conversely, 10 of the 14 players signed by Clemson that year have either been high NFL draft picks or are contributing for the Tigers this season, including A.J. Terrell and Tee Higgins (the 11th and 33rd picks in April’s draft); Rodgers; and Travis Etienne, who has gone from a three-star back unranked in Rivals’ top 250 to perhaps the best running back in America.

So even in a year that recruiting services say UM had a better class, Clemson ends up ahead.

Same, to a lesser extent, with 2018. Rivals ranked UM’s class sixth and Clemson’s eighth.

But UM saw four blue-chippers from that class transfer: five-star running back Lorenzo Lingard, four-star receivers Brian Hightower and Marquez Ezzard and quarterback Jarren Williams.

Advertisement
We are in position to be loaded for 2021. But all of the players that *should* come back, won’t. Then we are behind the eight ball in 2021. Our secondary for 2021 should be- Bolden, Hall, Blades, Ivey. Only half of those 4 will be back.

GR15 will be a first round pick. His opting out was COVID. His mother is a frontline nurse. I was disappointed but don’t blame him.

DJ had no reason to stay. A running back’s shelf life can be rather short and he isn’t going to improve. Same for Homer.

We are in position to be loaded for 2021. But all of the players that *should* come back, won’t. Then we are behind the eight ball in 2021. Our secondary for 2021 should be- Bolden, Hall, Blades, Ivey. Only half of those 4 will be back.
Depending on how the season goes, I could see Blades staying. Bolden is gone. LOL @ Ivey/Hall thinking they're ready for the pros

Advertisement
GR15 will be a first round pick. His opting out was COVID. His mother is a frontline nurse. I was disappointed but don’t blame him.

DJ had no reason to stay. A running back’s shelf life can be rather short and he isn’t going to improve. Same for Homer.
Actually our corching of keeping Patchan starting should of stayed the same and leave Rousseau on bench.. he would be here today instead

In their defense, the players leaving early the past dozen years or so had nothing to play for. Why come back to another mediocre season with average coaching?

Clemson’s returning players saw a NC in their future. There is the risk of injury, but a NC is why you’re playing at Clemson. That’s why Ed Reed came back for his senior season.

Advertisement
Blades is gone. Bolden is gone. Harris is gone. Jordan is gone

I'm not convinced Blades will go, given his family ties here. Bolden and Jordan will probably be second rounders so I can't blame them - not saying I'd do it, but also not a Bandy/JT4 situation. As a RB I can't blame Harris either.

The real question is someone like Phillips, who has virtually no tape. It'd be a typical Miami move for him to declare, bank on testing well, and end up as a 3rd rounder in 2020 than a 1st rounder in 2021.

Guys like Nesta shouldn't even think about leaving.

I'm not convinced Blades will go, given his family ties here. Bolden and Jordan will probably be second rounders so I can't blame them - not saying I'd do it, but also not a Bandy/JT4 situation. As a RB I can't blame Harris either.

The real question is someone like Phillips, who has virtually no tape. It'd be a typical Miami move for him to declare, bank on testing well, and end up as a 3rd rounder in 2020 than a 1st rounder in 2021.

Guys like Nesta shouldn't even think about leaving.
Phillips too

1602431235041.png

1602431261401.png

Settle on a coaching staff and the attrition problems will solve themselves, potentially (although nothing is guaranteed in the Portal Age).

We've had three head coaching regimes in six seasons. That breeds attrition.

Listen I’m not going to speculate who leaves and who doesn’t and dudes have the free year of eligibility.

but as it stands right now.

2021 Upperclassmen with at least 3 years in the program.
QB: Nkosi Perry, Peyton Matocha,
RB: Robert Burns, Cam Harris,
WR: Jeremiah Payton, Mark Pope, Dee Wiggins,
OL: Navaughn Donaldson, Jakai Clark, John Campbell, Zion Nelson, Cleveland Reed, Ousman Traore, Corey Gaynor, Adam El Gamal, DJ Scaife,
TE: Will Mallory, Larry Hodges, Brevin Jordan,
DL: Jordan Miller, Jaelean Phillips, Jahfari Harvey, Cam Williams, Jared Harrison-Hunte, Jason Blissett, Jalar Holley, Nesta Silvera,
LB: Sam Brooks, Ryan Ragone, Patrick Joyner William Steed, Bradley Jennings, Avery Huff,
DB: Tecoury Couch, Bubba Bolden, Al Blades, DJ Ivey,
Striker: Keontra Smith, Gilbert Frierson,

Like I said I won get into speculation on who declares or stays.

We don’t know anything for certain until dudes actually declare.

so as of today Oct 11th, 2020.

We could have 39 players that will open 2021 with at least 3 years in the program. It’s been a long time since we have had this many upperclassmen returning for a season.

Experience is also a factor in college football and actually sets Miami up for a **** of a 2021 season. We would win 10 games with that many upperclassmen.

Advertisement
This falls under Manny's recruiting failures. He can't win in recruiting and struggles to win in regards to keeping his recruits those extra year (s) on the back end.

The transfer portal isn't a cure all. Even if you hit on all your transfers (which is rare), last night shows you what happens when your team isn't built the right way.

Last edited:
I know I may be beating a dead horse... This is from a Barry Jackson article that's a week old but I think it's so pertinent to our talent gap.

It doesn't matter how well we recruit if we can't keep/develop our dang players. Call me crazy, but I have a feeling, had Hightower stayed, he would've been a lot better last night than the clown show of receivers we witnessed last night.

Ross, their best receiver wasn't even suited up.

Why are Clemson's best players on the field in the 4th quarter when they could've opted out and been a lock for #1 overall (Lawrence) and #1 taken at his position (Etienne) in the draft? Meanwhile Rousseau our best player who isn't even a 1st round lock, opts out and Deejay Dallas leaves to be a 4th round pick. Bama has tons of guys come back for their senior year.

Until we fix that mentality we won't compete with the big dogs. Or maybe we just need to find another Nevin Shapiro to pay our players.

God, I hope Bolden and Phillips stay another year.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article246253045.html

In 2017, Rivals rated UM’s class 11th and Clemson’s 22nd, and it’s fair for Canes fans to cite that and ask why the heck the Canes have been stratospheres away from Clemson’s level in 2018 and 2019.

But here’s why that 2017 ranking will be of no help to UM this week: Of the 24 players in that highly-rated UM class, 13 aren’t on the team and three more are sitting out this season.

The 13 gone include players who regrettably left early (rookies Jeff Thomas and Trajan Bandy, neither of whom is employed by an NFL team); Packers backup defensive end Jon Garvin; Seahawks No. 4 tailback DeeJay Dallas; a top defensive recruit (Deonte Johnson) who left for Oregon; and several disappointments (Jhavonte Dean, Kai -Leon Herbert among them). Herbert, a backup, opted out of playing this season.

Conversely, 10 of the 14 players signed by Clemson that year have either been high NFL draft picks or are contributing for the Tigers this season, including A.J. Terrell and Tee Higgins (the 11th and 33rd picks in April’s draft); Rodgers; and Travis Etienne, who has gone from a three-star back unranked in Rivals’ top 250 to perhaps the best running back in America.

So even in a year that recruiting services say UM had a better class, Clemson ends up ahead.

Same, to a lesser extent, with 2018. Rivals ranked UM’s class sixth and Clemson’s eighth.

But UM saw four blue-chippers from that class transfer: five-star running back Lorenzo Lingard, four-star receivers Brian Hightower and Marquez Ezzard and quarterback Jarren Williams.

This is a problem miami has for sure. Way too many juniors leave too early. At the end of the day it is the difference between a program that has a buy in from the guys on the team and how they recruit that they are there to win championships.

our team and recruit culture is that miami is a stepping stone to the nfl. Kids don’t come to Miami to be here 4 years. It’s a 3 and gone Mentality from the start. Clemsons RB is a first rd running back and he came back. The year they won they had 3 d lineman all come back for their senior years who were first rd picks. It’s insane and absolutely creates a talent gap to a Miami team that always loses 5-6 juniors it shouldn’t.

it will happen again this year.

Bolden
Phillips
Blades
Harris
Jordan

are all leaving. Imagine if all of them stayed plus king came back for a 6th year. This type of stuff happens at other programs. Not at Miami.

View attachment 133468

View attachment 133469

Settle on a coaching staff and the attrition problems will solve themselves, potentially (although nothing is guaranteed in the Portal Age).

We've had three head coaching regimes in six seasons. That breeds attrition.
This 1000%.

We aren't in a position like Bama to have coaches to one year layovers and move on.

It's crazy folks were even talking about Lashlee moving on after only one year here... tells you how much we've been burned by people leaving this program and how we've come to expect it. We're like the side chick who's been so conditioned to have dudes hit it and quit it that we can't expect someone good to stay for awhile.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back