Votes: 11 2.4%
  • Coral Gables Senior High School

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • Tropical Park

Votes: 300 64.5%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 71 15.3%

• Total voters
I do agree with you on cost, generally speaking. I also think that the ramshackle collection of craptastic industrial to the east of 826 is not as nice as the GE Defense campus that ISC purchased in Daytona, though this was decades ago. And if the Ruiz SPAC goes through, he's going to have more money than the France family has. Let's not forget, Ruiz supposedly already owns land where he wants to move CGHS.

I fully acknowledge, my visits to Tropical and Barnes ended in the late 90s (except for a trip to Santa's Enchanted Forest in the 00s).

The eminent domain powers, in my opinion, would not need to be utilized if you had market-value purchase of the industrial land, and there would be no residential displacement. The infrastructure improvements could be funded with municipal bonds.

From an overall standpoint, the area around Tropical is not unlike Golden Glades, with the Palmetto and Shula expressways merging between Bird and Sunset. That area is the bottleneck for South Dade in much the same way that Golden Glades is the bottleneck for North Dade.

Everyone would benefit from elevating Palmetto and Shula, not just for stadium purposes, but for the future. And for traffic flow.

I don't see anything south of 41st Street that couldn't easily relocate. I'd be willing to bet that most of that industrial space is rented, not owned by the actual businesses (except for CubeSmart). Probably the "nicest" stuff in that area is the CubeSmart along 826 and the NAPA Auto Parts on SW 72nd Avenue. And imagine a linear bike and/or horse-riding park that loops SW 41st Street, then goes along the railroad tracks, and comes back north along the Palmetto.
View attachment 177899
i think it would be difficult if not almost impossible to get everyone to sell, hence the need for eminent domain.

you are talking about hundreds of properties, not one obsolete GE Defense campus.

municipal bonds? **** NO. the county residents are already saddled with $2.5 BILLION in bonds from the Marlins Park. why should the taxpayer pay for this stadium or infrastructure. f@ck no!

Advertisement
i think it would be difficult if not almost impossible to get everyone to sell, hence the need for eminent domain.

you are talking about hundreds of properties, not one obsolete GE Defense campus.

municipal bonds? **** NO. the county residents are already saddled with $2.5 BILLION in bonds from the Marlins Park. why should the taxpayer pay for this stadium or infrastructure. f@ck no!

I hear you. I don't think it is hundreds of PROPERTIES, it might be hundreds of tenants/businesses. The actual numbers of landowners in that area is a smaller and more manageable number. The total number of acquirable properties that I see on the map would be under 100.

As for bonds...that's how the sausage is made. I understand your concerns about Marlins Park, and I've been very clear that whole thing was a disaster (including the FRAGRANT violation of rules on the municipal parking lots, which caused them to temporarily lose their property tax exemption, until the Dade County Property Appraiser was basically threatened to reinstate the tax exemption). And I'm not talking about munis for the building of the stadium, just for whatever roads would need to be altered.

You can't deny, ANY improvements along Palmetto, Shula, Bird, and Sunset would be very helpful to the area, particularly if those roadway improvements would only be stressed for 49 hours per year (7-hour window for 7 gamedays).

That's simply not true. I remember once when I had a disagreement with a coworker about whether to use blue or black pens and he said black was better. Well, I argued blue was better because if you signed something, people could tell if it was an original. He countered by telling me that the pens they give out at City National Bank are black and produced one as proof. Well, I accused him of theft because that wasn't his to take and he tried to argue that's why they had so many in the cup. He told me the entire story about how they buy them wholesale and use them as an advertising expense. If he hadn't done that, I'd have never known that anything a business leaves out is free to take, regardless of what the security guard or grocery store manager has to say about it.

Sir we simply disagree. Just the other day, I was looking at my pen collection, see I collect pens. All kinds of pens. When I was a child I used to take pens from banks. My Dad called it stealing and tried to make me stop. One time, he got so fed up that he made me go back to the bank and return the pen. The cashier was so nice she told me I could take all the pens I wanted. So I took all that my little hands could carry and haven't looked back since. It got to the point that it became an obsession. So instead of just taking pens from banks I became a pen collector. Loss a bit of respect for the old man that day he tried to make me return them, because I suddenly realized that my pen collection could have been enormous if he hadn't held me back. Now I've got EVERY color in the rainbow in that collection.

Speaking of rainbows, have you ever seen a circular rainbow? I have. Do you even know what a circular rainbow is called? Exactly, see you're making my point for me. No, I'm not a pen thief Sir. I'm a pen collector. Come to think of it, a circular rainbow should be a misnomer. Later I actually looked it up. It is a misnomer. They're actually called "a glory". Can you believe that. I found out that very same day, that there are 12 types of rainbows. It made me want to become a meteorologist. So I looked it up and found out later that the best meteorologist school was at Penn State. I've always hated Penn State but I love the Univ. of Pennsylvania so went there instead but not to become a meteorologist. They wouldn't allow me to bring my pen collection so I stayed off campus. When I got married my wife threw out my entire pen collection can you believe that!!? She said, I'd learn to love other things...and I did. She made sure of it. But I secretly started a new collection anyway. Do you like pens? I do

I've got too much time on my hands today

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm a bit confused by this, and I'm not arguing, I'm just providing another perspective.

I've been going to the UM-F$U games since 1986. Maybe the last couple have not been bad, due to both teams sucking, but the vast majority of traffic for the games in Tallahassee comes from the east. Most people exit at US 90, and there is usually slow traffic that starts AT the exit, and extends for over 5 miles. Maybe the rise of Waze/Google Maps has convinced people to get off at the US 319 exit now. Regardless, there's only one major east-west road (Tennessee Street) and one major north-south street (Monroe) once you get within a mile or two of the stadium. There are usually a ton of cops around (it IS the state capital), and if you know where you are going, you can take side streets to get to your parking complex more quickly. Getting INTO Doak isn't terrible, as people arrive at a wide variety of times, but exiting Doak and the surrounding areas is a DISASTER. There aren't many hotels in the area, so people are desperately trying to get back to civilization on I-10, which is nowhere near as wide as it needs to be for gameday traffic, though it is GREAT when you are simply trying to avoid exiting in Tallahassee because you are super-focused on getting to Jacksonville or Pensacola.

I've been going to the UM-UiF games since 1986, plus I have a graduate degree from UiF. While I-75 is one lane wider in each direction than I-10, you still have similar issues with gameday traffic. Most of the Hogtown gameday traffic comes from the south (Orlando/Tampa/Miami), though there has been a growing flow from Jacksonville which can access Hogtown from the backside, on 24, 26, or 20. Even though there are three main roads you can take to get towards the campus (Williston, Archer, and Newberry), we all know that nearly everyone takes Archer, due to the high concentration of national chain restaurants and stores that fill both sides of the road. ****, I recently got off at Archer (to gas up at Wawa) in the mid-afternoon on a weekday, and it was a DISASTER. Expansion of the area around Shands, as well as ongoing construction, turned a 2.5 mile errand into a 25 minute suicide-contemplation. I can only imagine the 2022 gameday traffic. The only thing that makes EXITING Florida Field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium tolerable is that Hogtown has SLIGHTLY more hotels, and the fact that the Gaytor fans like to try to recapture their drunken/rapey college glory days by spending a few hours in their favorite local name-changed-since-they-were-there bars as they silently pray that someone recognizes them and shouts out their name in a postive fashion.

UCF might just be the best of the bunch, largely because it has the smallest stadium of the three (though the largest student population, the vast majority of which cannot get into the games due to the disparity between enrollment and stadium capacity). I've been to many games there, and one of my nephews currently lives in Tower 1, just blocks from the stadium. UCF has fairly close proximity to toll roads such as the East-West Expressway and the Beltway. However, it cannot be denied that Alafaya and University are dual ****-shows on gameday. Part of the problem is that there is a lot of pedestrian and bike traffic, because so much of the housing (and restaurants) are located nearby on Alafaya or University. UCF would greatly benefit from about 10 or 12 pedestrian bridges. UCF has the weird distinction of possibly being worse for PRE-GAME traffic than post-game, as there are HUGE numbers of students who show up to tailgate in the Memory Mall "green" area, and then go home to watch the game on teevee, because there just aren't enough seats to accommodate them.

Overall, I believe that F$U and UCF are better-equipped to utilize police to assist with gameday traffic, while UiF just has to rely on a lot of people just knowing where they are going. Recent "poor performance" has probably helped the gameday traffic situation, but if UiF or F$U ever get good again, or UCF expands the stadium, then it will get bad again. Keep in mind, I have years of experience with the largest sports venue in Florida (Daytona International Speedway), and I cannot emphasize how helpful it is to have a HUGE police presence, potential "one-direction" flow on certain roadways, shuttles, and pedestrian bridges in place. Even then...it takes a while to get into (but especially out of) Daytona on race days.
Hard Rock is 10 Times yes 10 Times better than all those you mentioned. From Tailgating to Stadium atmosphere.

Hard Rock is 10 Times yes 10 Times better than all those you mentioned. From Tailgating to Stadium atmosphere.

I agree. I'm just not happy with how Hard Rock prioritizes (or doesn't) my Hurricanes, and I'm not thrilled with our revenue split.

But a nice stadium where they keep destroying the parking lots.

Advertisement
Sir we simply disagree. Just the other day, I was looking at my pen collection, see I collect pens. All kinds of pens. When I was a child I used to take pens from banks. My Dad called it stealing and tried to make me stop. One time, he got so fed up that he made me go back to the bank and return the pen. The cashier was so nice she told me I could take all the pens I wanted. So I took all that my little hands could carry and haven't looked back since. It got to the point that it became an obsession. So instead of just taking pens from banks I became a pen collector. Loss a bit of respect for the old man that day he tried to make me return them, because I suddenly realized that my pen collection could have been enormous if he hadn't held me back. Now I've got EVERY color in the rainbow in that collection.

Speaking of rainbows, have you ever seen a circular rainbow? I have. Do you even know what a circular rainbow is called? Exactly, see you're making my point for me. No, I'm not a pen thief Sir. I'm a pen collector. Come to think of it, a circular rainbow should be a misnomer. Later I actually looked it up. It is a misnomer. They're actually called "a glory". Can you believe that. I found out that very same day, that there are 12 types of rainbows. It made me want to become a meteorologist. So I looked it up and found out later that the best meteorologist school was at Penn State. I've always hated Penn State but I love the Univ. of Pennsylvania so went there instead but not to become a meteorologist. They wouldn't allow me to bring my pen collection so I stayed off campus. When I got married my wife threw out my entire pen collection can you believe that!!? She said, I'd learn to love other things...and I did. She made sure of it. But I secretly started a new collection anyway. Do you like pens? I do

I've got too much time on my hands today
The pen is mightier than the sword, but it's no match for a jealous woman.

I agree. I'm just not happy with how Hard Rock prioritizes (or doesn't) my Hurricanes, and I'm not thrilled with our revenue split.

But a nice stadium where they keep destroying the parking lots.
Great points. I will never forgive Ross for the Gayturd honor day. I never booed so loud in my life.

Advertisement
Not exactly sure what your point is but their proposal will include 2 high school stadiums additionally to the Hurricanes stadium.
My point is that people aren't going to be happy about losing a huge chunk of a very popular park... I just don't see how anybody would build up the political will for a proposal like that, no matter how much money they threw at it

I have never been to another CFB stadium besides ours, unless I was completely trashed, so I don't remember. How do these little SEC towns handle this sort of traffic on gameday? I can imagine 55k people driving into the middle of Athens or Tuscaloosa would wreak even more havoc on their infrastructure than it would in Miami.
On Campus? The students walk to the game, Faculty too.
It's the visitors that use cars.
Actually, at an Iron Bowl, found accommodations 30 miles away..

My point is that people aren't going to be happy about losing a huge chunk of a very popular park... I just don't see how anybody would build up the political will for a proposal like that, no matter how much money they threw at it
Let’s see what the actual proposal is before assuming anything. Have you been to Tropical Park? I played Baseball there as a kid for 10 years and softball as an adult. Been there a million times. A great deal of the park isn’t really used and there is a lot of dead space. If remodeled correctly, it would work.

Advertisement
bingo. this is not Melreese Park that will be rebuilt even better than it currently exists and the impact and required acreage for a stadium at Tropical is significantly larger.

Last edited:
Let’s see what the actual proposal is before assuming anything. Have you been to Tropical Park? I played Baseball there as a kid for 10 years and softball as an adult. Been there a million times. A great deal of the park isn’t really used and there is a lot of dead space. If remodeled correctly, it would work.

the only part of the park that isnt regularly used are the lakes. other than that the entire park is used regularly

the only part of the park that isnt regularly used are the lakes. other than that the entire park is used regularly
Not true. A lot of space closer to bird that isn't used all the time. Certainly, nothing that can't be moved if redesigned correctly. Like i said previously, let's see what the plans show to see if it makes sense.

Folks; what’s this news that Ross may be forced to sell The Dolphins & reports being Tom Brady likely to become a minority owner if this happens?

Advertisement
Back