Pete tweet: Butch X Dorsey

Butch & Dorsey...Dorsey waiting in the wings to take the keys. Oh life can be so wonderful if that happens.

Advertisement
mustnotfap.jpg

Butch has spent the past 4 years preparing for this opportunity.

He is much wiser and probably a better coach than he was when he left after the 2000 season.

He knows Dorsey better than anyone and if he thinks Dorsey is ready for the OC role, then that's fine with me.

Dorsey is young, innovative but will keep us grounded in a pro style offense that prepares QB's for the NFL.

I'm as big of a Dorsey fan as there is, but what's the evidence for his innovative nature? Not being an *** - just would like to know. I'm not a Panthers fan and do not follow them closely. In my view, there is some risk with Dorsey. There's risk with any first time playcaller. Playcalling is as much timing and feel as it is preparation.

Instead of innovative i think the right word here should be cerebral. Dorsey had the poise and smarts to figure things out. If you can pair him with a decent QB (much less a very good QB like Jack Allison) I think great things can happen.

This offense doesn't need to be innovative in the sense of being some TCU-style quick strike offense. Dorsey is working in an offense featuring one of the more dynamic QB talents in the NFL and getting results to the tune of an undefeated record this year.

I agree and wasn't insinuating it needed to be innovative. I was asking about someone, who may know something I do not, making a statement.

What Dorsey would need to do with the offense is make it reliable, consistent and adaptable. He's seen different styles, so I like that. Listen, he's a QB coach on the rise. If he doesn't get his shot here, it'll be somewhere else.

So many different issues that this potential pairing could have. If Dorsey isn't ready for the job, could Butch fire a UM legend? As a first time OC would Butch allow Dorsey to have full control?(as much as an OC actually does have full control). Is Dorsey capable of designing game plans? Is he capable of calling plays?

So many people want Butch because he's done it at Miami before but are ok with his biggest hire being a guy who has never done it because his name is Ken Dorsey. No learning on the job at that position. Not right now.

Advertisement

He is much wiser and probably a better coach than he was when he left after the 2000 season.

He knows Dorsey better than anyone and if he thinks Dorsey is ready for the OC role, then that's fine with me.

Dorsey is young, innovative but will keep us grounded in a pro style offense that prepares QB's for the NFL.

I'm as big of a Dorsey fan as there is, but what's the evidence for his innovative nature? Not being an *** - just would like to know. I'm not a Panthers fan and do not follow them closely. In my view, there is some risk with Dorsey. There's risk with any first time playcaller. Playcalling is as much timing and feel as it is preparation.

Lu, can he be worse than Coley? I am thinking a OC who actually played QB on NC team and coached NFL is worth a shot.

Advertisement
Maybe Cristobal could come as ol coach/assitant hc. Dorsey be oc only or would he be oc/qb coach. Wouldn't mind Coley or even steve Walsh being qb coach. But you would think Dorsey would have to be qb coach also

So many different issues that this potential pairing could have. If Dorsey isn't ready for the job, could Butch fire a UM legend? As a first time OC would Butch allow Dorsey to have full control?(as much as an OC actually does have full control). Is Dorsey capable of designing game plans? Is he capable of calling plays?

So many people want Butch because he's done it at Miami before but are ok with his biggest hire being a guy who has never done it because his name is Ken Dorsey. No learning on the job at that position. Not right now.

Exactly..... No one should get the job or any job based off who you know?

Running an offense is more than, calling plays. Especially when you start going up against Defensive minds who have been doing it for 10-20 years. And when I say doing it, I mean game planning, calling plays, making in game adjustments etc.

I'm okay with Butch, but I don't know about Dorsey as OC.

The way I see it, if butch gets the job he's bringing in chud as the OC, Dorsey as the QB coach, schiano/Cristobal as defensive guys. When butch leaves chud takes reign, after chud take the HC job Dorsey steps in as the OC

Advertisement
I don't want them to get rid of coley he's done right by us he's willing to adapt and learn just look at the last game had rosier under center used the fb more I think losing coley will be big

nobody loves KD anymore than I do, but I don't think we're in a position to have a rookie OC (especially when paired w/ a defensive head coach).

Noli said it perfectly.

1. So many different issues that this potential pairing could have. If Dorsey isn't ready for the job, could Butch fire a UM legend?
2. As a first time OC would Butch allow Dorsey to have full control?(as much as an OC actually does have full control).
3. Is Dorsey capable of designing game plans?
4. Is he capable of calling plays?
5. So many people want Butch because he's done it at Miami before but are ok with his biggest hire being a guy who has never done it because his name is Ken Dorsey. No learning on the job at that position. Not right now.

Answers:
1. It's a great question.

2. Why wouldn't he? If he thinks he's talented, and Dorsey shows he has a plan, what's the difference between Dorsey and Fisch?

3. Why wouldn't he be? Again, there are NFL QB coaches who often become NFL OCs. This is an NFL QB coach becoming a college OC. There is a difference.

4. Why wouldn't he be? This is for Butch to assess. Dorsey has been around good playcallers with similar, but diverse enough concepts. He's been around some spread elements. He's been around power running. The biggest variable is his timing and feel. The good news is that's what he lived off as a player. The bad news is we won't know how that translates to in-game coaching till we see it. That goes for any coach rising to coordinator level.

5. Your general statement isn't completely accurate. Some people want Dorsey because of his name. Other people, including myself, are intrigued by Dorsey because of his coaching resume.

Advertisement

Lu, can he be worse than Coley? I am thinking a OC who actually played QB on NC team and coached NFL is worth a shot.

As a playcaller, my gut feeling is that there's almost no way Dorsey is worse than Coley. As a play designer, I trust Dorsey's experience and what he's been exposed to over what Coley came in with.

Now, can he identify talent? He did work as an advanced scout. Can he lock in that talent? We don't know. Coley's done those things. However, if Dorsey can show that he makes QBs better (and his entire professional career, including time as a player provides a solid track record), that's a pretty ******* good recruiting pitch.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back