Perspective on Mario start

6-6 should not be disappointing if you were realistic. 10-1 was possible bc the ACC is just that bad, but we gotta remember, we're THAT bad too.

Roster is at least 3 seasons away.

Advertisement
Teams have bad, unexplainable, unexpected losses all the time. Unfortunately, it happened to us when we least expected it. I called it a trap game coming off the A&M game where our kids were being pat on the back nationally after a loss....and the ramifications of that reared it's ugly head vs MTSU.

I agree with OP that hopefully this will wake our kids up and show them that the culture of "I've arrived" because of one week of decent football, has got to go if they want to be successful.

Mario/Gattis/Ponce needs to change the offensive scheme until they get a full class or two...needs to be QB/WR friendly so we can put points on the board.

Our team isn't built to be the team that Oregon had when they beat OSU in Columbus....IIRC they had 4 rushing TDs, zero passing TDs. They mauled OSU and played stout DEF. Same thing that Gattis/Mich did last year vs OSU....so conceptually I get what Mario/Gattis were thinking....but our roster doesn't fit that, and our kids aren't mentally tough enough yet to handle that style of play.

I expect to see RPOs and pushing the pace on Saturday. TVD getting the ball out his hands quickly. Deep passes to Ladson and KeySmitty and slants to Brashard. Play Skinner at WR and let his athleticism help us as a pass catcher, forget about his run blocking weakness, use him for his strengths.

That's your fault for listening to people on a message board. How hard was it to notice that we were 7-5 and 20 years removed from a title?
The point is there was no rebuilding talk in the off-season, or even two months ago…now people like you are saying it’s obvious and should be expected after a terrible loss. What was your off-season prediction ? He’ll even the media and polls had us winning the coastal and being a top20 team. I didn’t hear anyone arguing with those predictions either

Me: "Now that we agree that it happened..."
ddann: "does that mean it didn’t happen?"

CIS gonna CIS.
Funny. But not really.

Your argument is that it wouldn’t make sense for the coach who went on the road last year and beat Ohio State* to not have his players prepared to beat MTSU. Therefore, he and his staff can’t be at fault for the loss to MTSU.

It’s an illogical argument that requires us to completely disregard what we witnessed with our own eyes.

No, it doesn’t make sense for him to not have his team ready to beat lowly MTSU. But, at the same time, he didn’t have his team ready to beat MTSU. That’s reality.

I put the claim in BIG FONT so you can read it this time…
and yet you predicted an 8-4 record this year…so an improvement in wins over last year is a rebuild ? Ok. Was mtsu one of your 4 predicted losses? Just curious if we’re still on schedule to hit your 8 win prediction.

Advertisement
The point is there was no rebuilding talk in the off-season, or even two months ago…now people like you are saying it’s obvious and should be expected after a terrible loss. What was your off-season prediction ? He’ll even the media and polls had us winning the coastal and being a top20 team. I didn’t hear anyone arguing with those predictions either

I wasn't here in the off-season, so don't lump me in with this board.

Even the media falls for the "new coach" thing.

That's your fault for listening to people on a message board. How hard was it to notice that we were 7-5 and 20 years removed from a title?
Apparently very hard to notice, even for you, the guy who predicted 9-3 this year. Happy to see you were the sole voice of reason around here😂

All of the sudden we're fsu with a rotten culture blah blah blah blah....

All of the Mario defenders out here doing mental gymnastics trying to rationalize a corch. Mario sets the tone, mario hired his coaches, mario chose the direction.

All of you saying we are a rebuilt really aren't being honest with yourselves. How many 1 score games did we lose last year? We were a bonked FG, interception interception at UNC in the redzone on the road, and a let down against FSU from being a 10 win team. We had a legit Heisman contender at QB (the most important position on the field) and our WRs were playing good outside of drops. now our QB sucks and our WRs can't get open??????? Who is coaching them?

Look at us now, we're blaming the players (which was taboo with every staff since butch). now we are a rebuild because our HC has **** the bed with his OC hire (shout out to LCE who called it) and his culture.

Funny. But not really.

Your argument is that it wouldn’t make sense for the coach who went on the road last year and beat Ohio State* to not have his players prepared to beat MTSU. Therefore, he and his staff can’t be at fault for the loss to MTSU.

It’s an illogical argument that requires us to completely disregard what we witnessed with our own eyes.

No, it doesn’t make sense for him to not have his team ready to beat lowly MTSU. But, at the same time, he didn’t have his team ready to beat MTSU. That’s reality.

That's been the thing that has divided message boards since the invention of the internet.

You think it's 100% on the coach to "have his team ready". I understand motivation and know that you don't get a group of people ready when they don't care. And you can't just instantly replace the people. That part takes time.

Advertisement
All of the sudden we're fsu with a rotten culture blah blah blah blah....

All of the Mario defenders out here doing mental gymnastics trying to rationalize a corch. Mario sets the tone, mario hired his coaches, mario chose the direction.

All of you saying we are a rebuilt really aren't being honest with yourselves. How many 1 score games did we lose last year? We were a bonked FG, interception interception at UNC in the redzone on the road, and a let down against FSU from being a 10 win team. We had a legit Heisman contender at QB (the most important position on the field) and our WRs were playing good outside of drops. now our QB sucks and our WRs can't get open??????? Who is coaching them?

Look at us now, we're blaming the players (which was taboo with every staff since butch). now we are a rebuild because our HC has **** the bed with his OC hire (shout out to LCE who called it) and his culture.

We were also four bounces away from being 3-9.

Again, if it's all about bad coaching, how did the exact same guy win 10 games and win in Columbus with what you think are lesser players?

6-6 should not be disappointing if you were realistic. 10-1 was possible bc the ACC is just that bad, but we gotta remember, we're THAT bad too.

Roster is at least 3 seasons away.
6-6 if you were realistic? with a potential Heisman candidate and top 10 NFL pick? with a brand new highest paid staff in the conference? with the resources we dumped into the program and the transfers we got? with the massive improvement we were expecting just because of the massive improvement in coaching?

NOBODY expected Miami to be anything less than 8-4. even Vegas gave us 9 wins... we were favored in 10 games before the season began.. that's "realistic"..

anybody who expected 6-6 before the season was being a pessimist. not a realist... i think anywhere from 8-4 to 9-3 was "realistic" before the season began.. 10-2 or better was optimistic...

Advertisement
The three best coaches in college football had
Yep, it’s obvious a 7-5 team going to 9-3 is a complete rebuild and overhaul…thanks for so blatantly revealing your hypocrisy to everyone

Yeah, it is a complete overhaul. Watch us play. The talent is not there.

Advertisement
That's been the thing that has divided message boards since the invention of the internet.

You think it's 100% on the coach to "have his team ready". I understand motivation and know that you don't get a group of people ready when they don't care. And you can't just instantly replace the people. That part takes time.
No, I never gave a percentage.

But the idea that Mario has to redo the whole roster before he can motivate the team to beat MTSU is laughable.

We were also four bounces away from being 3-9.

Again, if it's all about bad coaching, how did the exact same guy win 10 games and win in Columbus with what you think are lesser players?
Because the pac 12 is horrendous, especially the north. Their crossover games were Utah, Arizona, Colorado and ucla. and the win in Columbus, while a great win, was an outlier. That same coach lost to 3-9 Stanford a couple weeks later
829E2324-C9A2-457E-82C9-416B75E4A89C.jpeg

Shannon went 5-7 his first year. Manny lost to FIU, Duke, and La Tech his first year. Golden lost to a 2 win Maryland team his first year. Your point is?
and they had fabulous success here?
I wish Mario success here, but i never bet against a trend..

Advertisement
Back