Perspective on Mario start

rascon

Sophomore
Premium
Look,I know - we all see the issues we currently have. Plain to see.

But we haven’t been good in a number of years. It was never going to be an immediate turnaround,

For perspective, Nick Saban went 6-6 his first year, including losing to Louisiana-Monroe before winning a lowly bowl game. Secind year made the conference championship but lost.

The U is a bigger reclamation project, as the culture here was worse. The previous coaches were lazy with their evals and the results have shown. it’s going to take a minute to cleans the team of those players. Even with the portal.

i honestly don’t care about w/l record this year. I want to see signs of improvement. I have seen that with the lines. I want to see the freshmen play their way into the lineup. We are starting to see that. I want us to put more focus on national recruiting and not be so loyal to local hs kids and missing out on our plan a, plan b, plan c options. And we are seeing that.

I hear how we should always pursue local kids, but we need to truly understand the game and how it’s played. Just as much as we need to weed out the lazy players in the program, you need to weed out the 7v7 teams coached by f*ckboys of other schools. Don’t tell me winning changes that. BS. You don’t see this level of grooming anywhere else in the country. We need to rid ourselves of that cancer and then can truly start reaping the benefits of local products. So I’m glad the staff is recognizing this and shifting more emphasis and resources nationally.

It‘s going to take a minute. It’s going to be frustrating watching the games this year. But if you look closely, there is still reason for future optimism.

Have a good day everyone!

Advertisement
I haven’t seen those, my bad. I’m only on here once or twice a day and the threads trashing Mario, Gattis or Ivey are always at the top.

Personally I think the local 7v7 circuit run by other teams fans is the biggest culture change that needs to happen. But how? Is that even possible? Winning doesn’t trump grooming imo.

Advertisement
Look,I know - we all see the issues we currently have. Plain to see.

But we haven’t been good in a number of years. It was never going to be an immediate turnaround,

For perspective, Nick Saban went 6-6 his first year, including losing to Louisiana-Monroe before winning a lowly bowl game. Secind year made the conference championship but lost.

The U is a bigger reclamation project, as the culture here was worse. The previous coaches were lazy with their evals and the results have shown. it’s going to take a minute to cleans the team of those players. Even with the portal.

i honestly don’t care about w/l record this year. I want to see signs of improvement. I have seen that with the lines. I want to see the freshmen play their way into the lineup. We are starting to see that. I want us to put more focus on national recruiting and not be so loyal to local hs kids and missing out on our plan a, plan b, plan c options. And we are seeing that.

I hear how we should always pursue local kids, but we need to truly understand the game and how it’s played. Just as much as we need to weed out the lazy players in the program, you need to weed out the 7v7 teams coached by f*ckboys of other schools. Don’t tell me winning changes that. BS. You don’t see this level of grooming anywhere else in the country. We need to rid ourselves of that cancer and then can truly start reaping the benefits of local products. So I’m glad the staff is recognizing this and shifting more emphasis and resources nationally.

It‘s going to take a minute. It’s going to be frustrating watching the games this year. But if you look closely, there is still reason for future optimism.

Have a good day everyone!
I’ve also seen a lot of regression too. One improvement by the ol doesn’t Instill confidence when the rest of the team is falling apart

One thing you touched on I agree with is the reliance on local recruiting and the necessity to branch out more consistently. A few years back Urban Meyer mentioned his strong preference recruiting Texas over Florida as the players there were better coached, more fundamentally sound. We've seen lots of our highly rated SoFla kids struggle lining up properly, tackling, etc. Maybe more Tejas, Louisiana, Georgia kids will mitigate it at least somewhat as long as the coaches do their part (you know, the coaches on the highest paid staff in the ACC 🙄). Major solutions to decades old problems are never too simple but this could be a big factor. Luckily, recruiting is what MC does best. We look on track to quickly turn over the o line & LB rooms, but major help is needed at RB, WR, and CB.

I hear a lot of what you're saying and agree that we need to be patient. But I disagree with you on a few things.

Losses to MTSU show regression and deteriorate trust and patience.

After we lost to a&m, most Cane fans were optimistic and hopeful. Just some adjustments on offense and some upgrades on talent and we could start making some big wins.

That all went out the window when we didn't even show up against MTSU. I was optimistic after A&M that our line play would still help us go 10-2. Then we got run over on both sides of the ball by MTSU.

That and Alabama was in much worse shape when Saban took over than Miami was when Mario took over. They were on probation and hadn't qualified for a bowl game 4 times in their previous 10 years with either 4 or 3 win seasons. They were 2-6 in the SEC in 2006, the year before he took over.

Advertisement
It’s funny how no one told us while we were winning the off-season that this program needed a huge turnaround. 90%+ of the site thought we would win at least 9 games. Its only after we lose to mighty mtsu that the rebuild is so obvious…

That's your fault for listening to people on a message board. How hard was it to notice that we were 7-5 and 20 years removed from a title?

We all know this is a work in progress. We’ve still got too many Manny’s on this team who never should have donned a Canes uniform.

But - We lost to MTSU because our coaches did a poor job preparing the team, and the players had no desire to win that game.

It wasn’t about talent, and it wasn’t about scheming. It was about heart and that’s what troubles me the most.

That loss was unacceptable all the way around.

It’s funny how no one told us while we were winning the off-season that this program needed a huge turnaround. 90%+ of the site thought we would win at least 9 games. Its only after we lose to mighty mtsu that the rebuild is so obvious…
Because even claims of an 8 win season got you negged into oblivion. No one wanted to hear this was a rebuild during the off season.

We all know this is a work in progress. We’ve still got too many Manny’s on this team who never should have donned a Canes uniform.

But - We lost to MTSU because our coaches did a poor job preparing the team, and the players had no desire to win that game.

It wasn’t about talent, and it wasn’t about scheming. It was about heart and that’s what troubles me the most.

That loss was unacceptable all the way around.
Both are certainly true. Too many Richt/Diaz holdovers that got the additional Covid year has really hurt us. But, what we've seen so far schematically on O is unacceptable. MC has been around too long with too much success thus far to think otherwise. The rest of the season will be telling for him and his assistants.

Advertisement
I expected better, but knew that serious struggles were possible between depth and having the right personnel.

What I didn't ever imagine was a loss like MTSU and a supposedly decent offensive staff failing to produce throughout A&M and most of MTSU. I also didn't expect the defense to allow huge pass plays.

I'm sure it's just a hiccup, but **** if it doesn't cut deep.

Advertisement
I’ve also seen a lot of regression too. One improvement by the ol doesn’t Instill confidence when the rest of the team is falling apart
That’s on the coaches. That means they ain’t putting guys in the right scheme to succeed. A bunch of guys don’t just regress bro

Advertisement
Back