Off-Topic Personal Health & Fitness HELP Thread

I gotcha. Well if anybody else can answer that question let me know.
I can answer it for you. The theory really isn't that you shouldn't eat at night(like after 8PM) its that you shouldn't eat close to bed time. And for 99% of the population it doesn't matter.

If you were to eat all your calories right before you closed your eyes for sleep or if you ate all your calories in bed the second you woke up. You would lose pretty much the same amount of weight either way. Elite bodybuilders/models/etc. may do it, because over years of time, you may lose a tiny bit more weight doing it this(think a couple lbs over multiple years) because you will have more energy to fuel your workouts if you eat the food pre workout as opposed to right before bed. There are a couple other reasons why it may be a tiny bit better to not eat carbs late at night(water retention), but unless you are an elite athlete trying to go from 7% bodyfat to 6% bodyfat. It really won't have an effect on you.

The reason it got so popular is because eating carbs makes you retain more water, which of course makes you weigh more. So what dieticians often do, is tell their clients to not eat carbs close to bedtime. This doesn't actually make them lose any fat, but now they are retaining less water and "drop weight" which makes them think the diet routine is working. It also allows them to say "my client lost 5lbs in 1 week". Which everyone knows is total BS. They didn't lose 5lbs of muscle, they lost 5 lbs of water.

Edit: I should add that some people sleep better on an empty stomach though(heart burn,etc) so in that case you are certainly better off not eating before bed, since quality of sleep is more important(by far) then meal timing. But pretty much all the "elite"dieticians will have their clients eat a small meal before bed that includes some sort of casein protein, but if it effects sleep they remove it.

Advertisement
I can answer it for you. The theory really isn't that you shouldn't eat at night(like after 8PM) its that you shouldn't eat close to bed time. And for 99% of the population it doesn't matter.

If you were to eat all your calories right before you closed your eyes for sleep or if you ate all your calories in bed the second you woke up. You would lose pretty much the same amount of weight either way. Elite bodybuilders/models/etc. may do it, because over years of time, you may lose a tiny bit more weight doing it this(think a couple lbs over multiple years) because you will have more energy to fuel your workouts if you eat the food pre workout as opposed to right before bed. There are a couple other reasons why it may be a tiny bit better to not eat carbs late at night(water retention), but unless you are an elite athlete trying to go from 7% bodyfat to 6% bodyfat. It really won't have an effect on you.

The reason it got so popular is because eating carbs makes you retain more water, which of course makes you weigh more. So what dieticians often do, is tell their clients to not eat carbs close to bedtime. This doesn't actually make them lose any fat, but now they are retaining less water and "drop weight" which makes them think the diet routine is working. It also allows them to say "my client lost 5lbs in 1 week". Which everyone knows is total BS. They didn't lose 5lbs of muscle, they lost 5 lbs of water.

Edit: I should add that some people sleep better on an empty stomach though(heart burn,etc) so in that case you are certainly better off not eating before bed, since quality of sleep is more important(by far) then meal timing. But pretty much all the "elite"dieticians will have their clients eat a small meal before bed that includes some sort of casein protein, but if it effects sleep they remove it.
Carbs right before bed can mess around with your blood sugar as well. If one is diabetic or insulin resistant, that could come into play.

Advertisement
Carbs right before bed can mess around with your blood sugar as well. If one is diabetic or insulin resistant, that could come into play.
100%, I was speaking about normal healthy individuals. If one has some sort of disease or similar, then they are going to need to follow specific dietary plans.
For instance Spinach is one of the best things you can eat for weight loss, since its so low calorie while being very filling, but if someone is allergic to spinach, its not good for that particular individual.

So much for intermittent fasting.

Interesting. It’s absolutely helped me lose weight, and it’s helped me keep away from ballooning back up again. I also am wary of 1-2 studies that overturn a significant piece of data or belief, specifically in the health and fitness arena. Since I was a kid there have been about a dozen ”worst/best” foods that have switched places entirely.

As for fasting, someone in this thread already highlighted one of the reasons it may be true: eating within a constrained window means you simply eat less food and consume less calories. I cant think of a reason why that alone wouldn’t be beneficial (plus the side benefits I’ve experienced like better sleep and less indigestion).

Interesting. It’s absolutely helped me lose weight, and it’s helped me keep away from ballooning back up again. I also am wary of 1-2 studies that overturn a significant piece of data or belief, specifically in the health and fitness arena. Since I was a kid there have been about a dozen ”worst/best” foods that have switched places entirely.

As for fasting, someone in this thread already highlighted one of the reasons it may be true: eating within a constrained window means you simply eat less food and consume less calories. I cant think of a reason why that alone wouldn’t be beneficial (plus the side benefits I’ve experienced like better sleep and less indigestion).

The study just says, if all else equal, you won't lose more weight fasting than eating the normal multiple meals per day style. There are actually a lot of studies that have shown this. There are a handful of studies that show the opposite, regarding optimal fat loss through eating more meals, mainly because of increased protein synthesis, but the gains are so minimal its not worth worrying about unless you are an elite athlete. Also, most of those "best worst foods" things weren't backed up by much scientific data, if any. Where as total calories consumed, being the best determinant of weight loss is backed up by a ton of scientific data.

If eating less often helps you eat less calories over all, then that is all that matters. Since you will be eating less calories, which is the end goal for losing weight. The benefit of eating less calories, far outweighs the minor benefit of increased protein synthesis.

And yes, better sleep and less indigestion, which are most likely caused from eating further away from your bedtime as usual, also far outweigh any sort of benefits from increased protein synthesis.

Bingo. There are so many factors that go into statistical models and it's very easy to reach an incorrect conclusion. That study may have held true for that particular sample group under those conditions, but that doesn't necessarily scale up.

If it works for you, science can't tell you it doesn't.

Advertisement
It's all about your caloric deficit. Eating and drinking fewer calories than you burn.

No more than 150 grams of carbs per day (with daily workouts). Sometimes I'll cut down to 50 grams per day. And only water after 8pm.

Last edited:

Also, intermittent fasting is about a lot more than just weight loss. Autophagy and other factors are involved. Let’s see some blood work on these study subjects. Stepping on the scale doesn’t tell the real story.

I know we have multiple people who are professionals in this area, dozens more who are knowledgeable, and probably a majority who are like me: looking for better results. I’ve been kicking around the idea of submitting my situation, seeing if it sparks a greater conversation, and hopefully helping some people improve their body and life.

Here goes nothing.

Im in the 35-45 year old range. For most of my life I’ve had a pretty light build and have been in and out of gyms on and off throughout adulthood. During my 30-35 years I let myself go, took on a lot of fat and decreased muscle mass, coinciding with the expected drop in metabolism.

In the last 2 years I’ve changed several things to counteract this trend. 1) Intermittent fasting for 16 hours a day (I’ll come back to this in a second). 2) Diet changes (same) 3) Workout consistency. On the whole these changes have produced real results, which has been wonderful, but I’ve hit a wall and that’s where I need helpful direction. My current irritation is that build is the best it’s been in years, it’s just hiding under a layer of fat around my sides and gut that is smaller but still not gone entirely or moving in that direction.

Here’s a more in depth breakdown of each of the three changes I’ve made:

Fasting: I’m keeping to this at least 5 days a week, eating only between 12pm-8pm. The benefits of this is it definitely took fat off and gave me a “consistent maximum” to where I am. It also had multiple side benefits, i have virtually no reflux or gas, and I sleep much better because my stomach isn’t working all night long. However, after 2 years I feel as though it has reached its maximum output for change. I will probably keep it up for the rest of my life because the benefits are so good.

Diet: I have never enjoyed sodas, sweet teas or energy drinks. I like water, coffee alternatives, occasional red wine, tea, and maybe orange juice a couple glasses a month. I don’t often eat sweets, I’ve cut out all “Starbucks drinks”, started eating almonds instead of chips and snacks, etc. One area I can improve on is fast food, it’s a side effect of my profession being on the road nearly every day. Bread I eat probably 3-5 times a week, starches like noodles maybe a little less often.

Workout: I stopped going to the gym but I do a lot of stuff at home. I like body workouts more than weights, so I’m daily doing squats, various push-ups, sit ups, dips, planks, and so forth. My body has responded very well to this regimen, even better than a weight training program I was on prior.

I am not trying to become Mr. Universe. I am a middle aged dad who wants to shave off the last tire around his belly and continue to work hard at keeping myself in good shape into the next phase of my life. Any strategy or thoughts to improve any or all of these areas would help me (and I assume others) tremendously.

Thanks to anyone who reads and responds!

80S Reaction GIF
One very important exercise regimen that should be done 5 times a week is some type of intense cardio workout. Start with stretches to loosen up ... back, shoulders, hamstrings. Simple ab exercises ... but always executed. I used to swim 1 mile every morning before going to work. Lived in Miami and went to LA Fitness at 6:30 am 5 days a week. One mile, 35 minutes non stop, and that kept me in shape (stretches, 3 ab exercises, 20 minutes on an exercise bike, then swim 1 mile).

Rotator cuff issues eliminated swimming ... but I do 30 minutes on an elliptical trainer (simulated jogging) and then 30 on an exercise bike ... along with 30 minutes of stretching, ab work, and 3-4 machines (leg lifts, abduction/adduction. hamstrings). I cut out alcohol during the week ... just weekends ... beer / wine with dinner. Works for me. For me the cardio workouts are the secret. Keeps everything in balance ... good blood pressure numbers, good cholesterol numbers, excellent BMI (body mass index). FOR ME the cardio is necessary to get the metabolism cranking, and then you also have to be sure you aren't downing ice cream / cookies / cake etc. Water is a great beverage with a bit of cranberry juice added ... my beverage of choice during the week. I'm doing this regimen now ... turned 75 in December .... no medicines, no health issues whatsoever. Just take multi vitamins, vitamin D etc.

Last edited:

I think your last point is the main reason skipping a meal works with weight loss. If you are disciplined and space all day I think the study is probably right but how many people have that discipline?

Advertisement
PSA for everyone: Don't be stupid and don't push through an injury.

Suffered a bruised knee in February, fell on a frozen field and it swole up badly the next day and it was really painful. Took some painkillers and practiced and played anyway (******* idiot). Said "as long as I don't fall on it again, I am good" and of course my *** falls on it again.

Over time I realized something was with my knee cap, as the surface wasnt right. Feels like there is a dent, but there was no pain, so all is good, right?

Now it starts swelling up and producing fluid inside even when I am standing around not doing anything. No pain but I can feel warmth, which is a sign of inflammation (not great) and the fluid, which feels disgusting.

Doctors appointment on Wednesday, if I am lucky my bursa is messed up and I get to rest my knee for a couple of weeks. I am not lucky, I may need surgery.
Theres some good and bad news.

The good news is that the fall in February doesn't appear to have caused significant bone damage or bursa damage.

The bad news is that my patella appears to be displaced due to growth in my youth, with the possibility that my fall has aggrevated something. An MRI will provide details, but the condition is not good.

A displaced patella causes unequal pressure on the cartilage underneath it. The result would be accelerated wear in that area, leading to osteoarthritis (something I dont want to have looking at my dad, who has it). Since I play soccer, that wear would be even worse.

After the MRI my doctor will tell me what to do, since additional strengthening and stretching of that muscle will help with stabilizing the knee. I also will try to get my weight further down.

I endorse this. A long, long time ago when I tried to put on some mass by eating every waking hour, I'd have a small meal before bed and I developed acid reflux. So, yeah, that's not a habit you want to get into for that reason alone.

I endorse this. A long, long time ago when I tried to put on some mass by eating every waking hour, I'd have a small meal before bed and I developed acid reflux. So, yeah, that's not a habit you want to get into for that reason alone.
It depends on the person too. For instance, I eat every night before bed. Not because I am trying to "speed up my metabolism" or prevent going into a catabolic state at night. I just do it because its easier for me to get all my calories in throughout the day like that and because I do enjoy the benefit of slightly increased protein synthesis by eating my protein more spread out through the day. If my metabolism speeds up a tiny bit and if I do stop catabolism at night, that is just a bonus.

However, those tiny benefits don't outweight poor sleep. Since poor sleep will noticeably effect your gains as will acid reflux. So as you said, if it causes acid reflux/poor sleep. You are much better off not eating before bed.

Advertisement
Theres some good and bad news.

The good news is that the fall in February doesn't appear to have caused significant bone damage or bursa damage.

The bad news is that my patella appears to be displaced due to growth in my youth, with the possibility that my fall has aggrevated something. An MRI will provide details, but the condition is not good.

A displaced patella causes unequal pressure on the cartilage underneath it. The result would be accelerated wear in that area, leading to osteoarthritis (something I dont want to have looking at my dad, who has it). Since I play soccer, that wear would be even worse.

After the MRI my doctor will tell me what to do, since additional strengthening and stretching of that muscle will help with stabilizing the knee. I also will try to get my weight further down.
Swelling has reduced since cooling the knee greatly.

Just touched both knee caps... my left is really different from the right, I dont need an MRI to figure that out. The difference is bad.

I'll give you a few off the wall things

1. eat popcorn, filling and will help you lose fat quickly

2. not a fan of video series, but do the insanity warmup over and over and over again. You don't have to do his whole series, you don't even have to do the rest of the video. If you just do the warm up 3 times, you'll get done what needs to be done. Do the whole video for slightly better results.

3. basketball will trim you up better than anything

Advertisement
Back