Off-Topic Personal Health & Fitness HELP Thread

So much for intermittent fasting.

Does this still hold true for the “don’t eat after 8pm” thing? I’ve always heard that eating late at night leads to weight gain. I can’t read it bc it’s paywall, so just wondering if that was part of the study.

Advertisement
I can't read b/c of a paywall but this is interesting to me. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that intermittent fasting was beneficial. That was agreed upon by all nutrition theorists (paleo, keto, plant based, etc).
One of the big problems with data science/scientific studies is that there can be another variable that's not included in the model that is the actual cause of the results. Perhaps the previous studies failed to account for the fact that when people switched to intermittent fasting, they were actually changing the quantity and/or quality of the food they consumed.

It just goes to show that there are very few things that are absolute. Obviously people have done intermittent fasting and had great results.

Does this still hold true for the “don’t eat after 8pm” thing? I’ve always heard that eating late at night leads to weight gain. I can’t read it bc it’s paywall, so just wondering if that was part of the study.
The people in the study were limited to eating between 8 am and 4 pm.

One of the big problems with data science/scientific studies is that there can be another variable that's not included in the model that is the actual cause of the results. Perhaps the previous studies failed to account for the fact that when people switched to intermittent fasting, they were actually changing the quantity and/or quality of the food they consumed.

It just goes to show that there are very few things that are absolute. Obviously people have done intermittent fasting and had great results.

Good point and impossible to tell unless we know the specifics of the study. Doesn't seem like it was a small study and I'm glad that it was a year in duration. Nutrition studies are the hardest to draw a conclusion from because, like you say, so many variabilities and you can't really get a controlled group like you can in mice, for example.

Advertisement
Good point and impossible to tell unless we know the specifics of the study. Doesn't seem like it was a small study and I'm glad that it was a year in duration. Nutrition studies are the hardest to draw a conclusion from because, like you say, so many variabilities and you can't really get a controlled group like you can in mice, for example.
And it was only 139 people. That's not a huge sample size. The two groups were given roughly the same amount of calories daily, so that might also show that there is only a certain rate of weight loss at that reduced calorie level.

It's not by any means conclusive as in shut the book on the subject, IMO.

And it was only 139 people. That's not a huge sample size. The two groups were given roughly the same amount of calories daily, so that might also show that there is only a certain rate of weight loss at that reduced calorie level.

It's not by any means conclusive as in shut the book on the subject, IMO.

Agree. Did they measure success by weight loss or bloodwork and key markers?

Agree. Did they measure success by weight loss or bloodwork and key markers?
From the article:

Both groups lost weight — an average of about 14 to 18 pounds — but there was no significant difference in the amounts of weight lost with either diet strategy. There also were no significant differences between the groups in measures of waist circumference, body fat and lean body mass.

Advertisement
From the article:

Both groups lost weight — an average of about 14 to 18 pounds — but there was no significant difference in the amounts of weight lost with either diet strategy. There also were no significant differences between the groups in measures of waist circumference, body fat and lean body mass.

Not terribly meaningful and it's a bit baffling why they don't add in bloodwork to analyze results as well.

Not terribly meaningful and it's a bit baffling why they don't add in bloodwork to analyze results as well.
It was a study done in China. Not to summarily dismiss it, but you see a lot of studies that grad students do for their PHDs that are not always as stringent as ones done to definitively reach a conclusion.

PSA for everyone: Don't be stupid and don't push through an injury.

Suffered a bruised knee in February, fell on a frozen field and it swole up badly the next day and it was really painful. Took some painkillers and practiced and played anyway (******* idiot). Said "as long as I don't fall on it again, I am good" and of course my *** falls on it again.

Over time I realized something was with my knee cap, as the surface wasnt right. Feels like there is a dent, but there was no pain, so all is good, right?

Now it starts swelling up and producing fluid inside even when I am standing around not doing anything. No pain but I can feel warmth, which is a sign of inflammation (not great) and the fluid, which feels disgusting.

Doctors appointment on Wednesday, if I am lucky my bursa is messed up and I get to rest my knee for a couple of weeks. I am not lucky, I may need surgery.

PSA for everyone: Don't be stupid and don't push through an injury.

Suffered a bruised knee in February, fell on a frozen field and it swole up badly the next day and it was really painful. Took some painkillers and practiced and played anyway (******* idiot). Said "as long as I don't fall on it again, I am good" and of course my *** falls on it again.

Over time I realized something was with my knee cap, as the surface wasnt right. Feels like there is a dent, but there was no pain, so all is good, right?

Now it starts swelling up and producing fluid inside even when I am standing around not doing anything. No pain but I can feel warmth, which is a sign of inflammation (not great) and the fluid, which feels disgusting.

Doctors appointment on Wednesday, if I am lucky my bursa is messed up and I get to rest my knee for a couple of weeks. I am not lucky, I may need surgery.

Feel better and hopefully it isn't something that requires surgery.
But this is a good reminder that time is undefeated. Cojelo suave out there

Advertisement
It doesn't do anything for people, some just benefit from it because their body handles food better that way.

Nutrition is largely about finding what suits best for you.
Pretty much. If you follow fitness and nutrition trends, there will almost always be a study backing one thing and another study debunking it. I've never tried IF, but if it works for you and suits your needs, there really isn't harm in trying it.

That's more bro-science than anything. Quality of food/calorie consumption is more important than timing. If anything, if you tend to have late night snacks that are unhealthy, then yeah, cutting it out will be beneficial but that's not attributed to when you ate it, rather what you ate.

Advertisement
I can't read b/c of a paywall but this is interesting to me. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that intermittent fasting was beneficial. That was agreed upon by all nutrition theorists (paleo, keto, plant based, etc).
It is not a foregone conclusion. Especially not for weight loss like this study was about. If anything, there is more research that shows there is less weight loss when intermittent fasting when compared to eating numerous times throughout the day.

The reason fasting works, is because people generally eat less calories when fasting. If you only eat 1 meal a day, you are more likely to eat less calories than if you ate 8 times a day. But if calories are the same, you won't lose anymore weight with IF.

This is the reason why you will find very few elite athletes, models, etc. that follow IF.

Well, and nutritional content. I'm pretty sure eating 2000 calories of waffles, butter, and syrup daily might kill me.
Yes 100% I was just talking about from a weight loss perspective. If you eat 2000 calories of healthy food and 2000 calories of garbage, you may lose the same amount of weight, but your body composition is going to be vastly different(you may lose 30 lbs of muscle and 20 lbs of fat, with the waffle diet, and 45lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle on the healthy diet based on protein/fat intake) and you will be significantly less healthy on the waffle diet haha.

Yes 100% I was just talking about from a weight loss perspective. If you eat 2000 calories of healthy food and 2000 calories of garbage, you may lose the same amount of weight, but your body composition is going to be vastly different(you may lose 30 lbs of muscle and 20 lbs of fat, with the waffle diet, and 45lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle on the healthy diet based on protein/fat intake) and you will be significantly less healthy on the waffle diet haha.
So order bacon with my waffles, got it.

Advertisement
Back