Off-Topic Personal Health & Fitness HELP Thread

Interesting. It’s absolutely helped me lose weight, and it’s helped me keep away from ballooning back up again. I also am wary of 1-2 studies that overturn a significant piece of data or belief, specifically in the health and fitness arena. Since I was a kid there have been about a dozen ”worst/best” foods that have switched places entirely.

As for fasting, someone in this thread already highlighted one of the reasons it may be true: eating within a constrained window means you simply eat less food and consume less calories. I cant think of a reason why that alone wouldn’t be beneficial (plus the side benefits I’ve experienced like better sleep and less indigestion).
I know for a fact IF works and not only only for weight loss. My sugar , cholesterol and BP dropped. I’ve been doing it off and on for years and weight falls off. I’ll go by my own data.

Advertisement
I know for a fact IF works and not only only for weight loss. My sugar , cholesterol and BP dropped. I’ve been doing it off and on for years and weight falls off. I’ll go by my own data.
They all dropped, because you were eating less schit and lost weight. Its not because IF is better than restricting calories. If it works for you, great, but it doesn't "prove" that IF is better than other types of diets, all things equal.

They all dropped, because you were eating less schit and lost weight. Its not because IF is better than restricting calories. If it works for you, great, but it doesn't "prove" that IF is better than other types of diets, all things equal.
I’m saying it works , I never said it’s better than other diets. It’s the best diet for me beens i’m always on the go.

I’m saying it works , I never said it’s better than other diets. It’s the best diet for me beens i’m always on the go.
Which is great. I just wanted to point out why it works, for others. The reason you lost weight is, because you are eating less total calories, because you are able to get satiate during that one meal with less calories than it takes for you to be satiated throughout the day. So it works for you, but if someone was to eat only 1x a day, but eat just as many calories as before, they wouldn't lose any weight.

KETO and IF works wonders for me when I'm cutting. My #'s have been amazing as well when doing such. How else can you gorge and eggs and bacon and lose weight.

Advertisement
Which is great. I just wanted to point out why it works, for others. The reason you lost weight is, because you are eating less total calories, because you are able to get satiate during that one meal with less calories than it takes for you to be satiated throughout the day. So it works for you, but if someone was to eat only 1x a day, but eat just as many calories as before, they wouldn't lose any weight.
The process is the reward - if followed.

KETO and IF works wonders for me when I'm cutting. My #'s have been amazing as well when doing such. How else can you gorge and eggs and bacon and lose weight.
Its the only way. Pretty much. Unless you are doing an insane amount of cardio. Like pro boxer level of cardio lol. Nothing wrong with KETO or IF. Anything that gets you to eat less calories will work. Some people do the thing where they will stuff themselves with low calorie foods like Spinach, then eat their regular meal after, and since their stomachs are full they don't eat nearly as much.

Whatever trick you use to lose weight, is great. I just always want to point out, that at the end of the day its all calories in vs calories out. If someone new to fitness read "IF works!" then they may end up not eating all day, then going on a crazy binge, eating more than they usually do and actually end up gaining weight. Its not that IF works. Since if you do IF and not eat less calories you wont lose weight. Its just a restriction technique, that works for some people.

Glad to hear you found a good diet for yourself though and have healthy #s.

Its the only way. Pretty much. Unless you are doing an insane amount of cardio. Like pro boxer level of cardio lol. Nothing wrong with KETO or IF. Anything that gets you to eat less calories will work. Some people do the thing where they will stuff themselves with low calorie foods like Spinach, then eat their regular meal after, and since their stomachs are full they don't eat nearly as much.

Whatever trick you use to lose weight, is great. I just always want to point out, that at the end of the day its all calories in vs calories out. If someone new to fitness read "IF works!" then they may end up not eating all day, then going on a crazy binge, eating more than they usually do and actually end up gaining weight. Its not that IF works. Since if you do IF and not eat less calories you wont lose weight. Its just a restriction technique, that works for some people.

Not sure about IF alone, because I've never done it without KETO. But KETO works because it suppresses your appetitive - it basically destroys it. Its kills your cravings for garbage carbs and junk. I've cut both ways and KETO is my goto to shed fat without a doubt.

Not sure about IF alone, because I've never done it without KETO. But KETO works because it suppresses your appetitive - it basically destroys it. Its kills your cravings for garbage carbs and junk. I've cut both ways and KETO is my goto to shed fat without a doubt.
Bingo. I was amazed how hunger pretty much disappeared in just a day or two of keto.

Advertisement
I have done keto before in HS when I needed to quickly cut a ton of weight for wrestling. You drop a TON of water weight because you don't retain nearly as much water without carbs. I am like you, in that i get more satiated from fat than carbs, so it did work for me as well in that aspect. But some people don't respond in the same manner as us in regards to fat vs carb satiety.

But at the end of the day its still about calories in vs calories out. If you eat the same amount of calories on Keto vs off Keto, you will still lose the same amount of fat(not weight, since at first you will drop a lot more weight, since you won't be retaining water).

You are 100% right though regarding sugars. Its addicting and once you cut out sugar for a period of time you don't crave it.

Correct, there’s no magic trick to losing weight. It’s all about calories in and calories out. If I cheat one day I’ll do more cardio as punishment or at least push my fast to 18-22 hours. IF , watching calories and doing cardio will make weight fall off and fast. It makes sense , smaller eating window means less time to consume calories.

Advertisement
I know we have multiple people who are professionals in this area, dozens more who are knowledgeable, and probably a majority who are like me: looking for better results. I’ve been kicking around the idea of submitting my situation, seeing if it sparks a greater conversation, and hopefully helping some people improve their body and life.

Here goes nothing.

Im in the 35-45 year old range. For most of my life I’ve had a pretty light build and have been in and out of gyms on and off throughout adulthood. During my 30-35 years I let myself go, took on a lot of fat and decreased muscle mass, coinciding with the expected drop in metabolism.

In the last 2 years I’ve changed several things to counteract this trend. 1) Intermittent fasting for 16 hours a day (I’ll come back to this in a second). 2) Diet changes (same) 3) Workout consistency. On the whole these changes have produced real results, which has been wonderful, but I’ve hit a wall and that’s where I need helpful direction. My current irritation is that build is the best it’s been in years, it’s just hiding under a layer of fat around my sides and gut that is smaller but still not gone entirely or moving in that direction.

Here’s a more in depth breakdown of each of the three changes I’ve made:

Fasting: I’m keeping to this at least 5 days a week, eating only between 12pm-8pm. The benefits of this is it definitely took fat off and gave me a “consistent maximum” to where I am. It also had multiple side benefits, i have virtually no reflux or gas, and I sleep much better because my stomach isn’t working all night long. However, after 2 years I feel as though it has reached its maximum output for change. I will probably keep it up for the rest of my life because the benefits are so good.

Diet: I have never enjoyed sodas, sweet teas or energy drinks. I like water, coffee alternatives, occasional red wine, tea, and maybe orange juice a couple glasses a month. I don’t often eat sweets, I’ve cut out all “Starbucks drinks”, started eating almonds instead of chips and snacks, etc. One area I can improve on is fast food, it’s a side effect of my profession being on the road nearly every day. Bread I eat probably 3-5 times a week, starches like noodles maybe a little less often.

Workout: I stopped going to the gym but I do a lot of stuff at home. I like body workouts more than weights, so I’m daily doing squats, various push-ups, sit ups, dips, planks, and so forth. My body has responded very well to this regimen, even better than a weight training program I was on prior.

I am not trying to become Mr. Universe. I am a middle aged dad who wants to shave off the last tire around his belly and continue to work hard at keeping myself in good shape into the next phase of my life. Any strategy or thoughts to improve any or all of these areas would help me (and I assume others) tremendously.

Thanks to anyone who reads and responds!

80S Reaction GIF
This is interesting

Advertisement
I just want to say that everyone who said "you need to cut the fast food AND start walking/running" was on point and I appreciate it so, so very much. Just took me awhile to get there.
I can't take credit for that, since I didn't mention that, but cutting out fast food is a really good idea. Just for some context. A whopper and medium fries is 1100 calories. A hamburger, same size at home, made with 90% lean ground beef with homemade fries of similar size. Would be about 500 calories. So you could eat double the amount of food. Or in other words you would get satiated with only half the amount of calories.

To put it even further into perspective a whopper meal is 1600 calories. You could eat 10 whole potatoes. Or 8 4 oz chicken thighs. Or 16 apples. or 15 4 oz chicken *******. or 15 lbs of spinach. or 1.25 lbs of mozarella cheese. etc. For the same amount of calories.

Its very easy to get fat on fast food because it is much less filling than any of those other options. Anyone could eat a whopper meal 3x a day, if they wanted to.

No one is eating 15lbs of spinach 3x a day. or 10 whole potatoes 3x a day. or 8 4oz chicken thighs 3x a day. etc.

Its much easier to overeat on fast food than it is on regular whole foods.

Advertisement
Back