Off-Topic Personal Health & Fitness HELP Thread

Holy crap, thanks for the responses y’all. I had a killer day and will respond to these tomorrow, thanks so much for the info!

Advertisement
The advice I offered works.

My advice for you, on the other hand, is to learn how to communicate without constantly insulting and talking down to others.
The advice you offered does not work. I asked you to provide a study and you weren't able to. I am not talking down to anyone. How is asking you to provide a study to support your claim talking down on somebody?

If you eat 1000 calories of grains a day and you stop eating them, you will lose weight since you eat 1000 less calories a day. It has nothing to do with grains. If you cut out 1000 calories of fruit a day and replaced it with 500 calories of grains you also would lose weight. If Inday followed your advice, cut out grains and started eating more of other foods, he wouldn't lose weight unless he actually lowered his calorie intake.

In simple terms. This may have worked for you, not because you cut out grains, but because you ended up eating less. Its simple as that.

A few simple suggestions, Inday.

Tighten up your feeding window. The next logical step is a 6 hour window. Are you training during your feeding window? If not, you "should" be.

Introduce a kettlebell routine to supplement what I assume is bodyweight work. It'll be a minimal investment. A few hundred bucks will get you enough to last you a long time (most kettlebell guys recommend starting with 16kg and 24kg...I'd add in a 30kg too, you'll find that you'll want one sooner rather than later) Start with turkish getups, swings, and adding them to your squats and as you get more comfortable with the form and technique, you can add snatches, cleans, etc. These will help you focus on long-term gainz and focus less on the short term because...

...because, you know you gotta tighten up on the diet and that is probably one of the reasons you've plateau'd a bit.

Random...but don't be afraid to add some yoga to your routine, too. Not every day, but a few times a week. Start with like 30 minutes and over time you'll get to 45...60.

Overall, start thinking long term with the training and not the short term. As you get older diversify and work on mobility, flexibility, functional strength and the rest will take care of itself.
This is good advice. It is very hard to work your lower back and hamstrings with just BW stuff. While lower back and hammys are some of the most important things to train. KBs will allow you train them effectively, plus you will get some good cardio from the HIIT.

I know we have multiple people who are professionals in this area, dozens more who are knowledgeable, and probably a majority who are like me: looking for better results. I’ve been kicking around the idea of submitting my situation, seeing if it sparks a greater conversation, and hopefully helping some people improve their body and life.

Here goes nothing.

Im in the 35-45 year old range. For most of my life I’ve had a pretty light build and have been in and out of gyms on and off throughout adulthood. During my 30-35 years I let myself go, took on a lot of fat and decreased muscle mass, coinciding with the expected drop in metabolism.

In the last 2 years I’ve changed several things to counteract this trend. 1) Intermittent fasting for 16 hours a day (I’ll come back to this in a second). 2) Diet changes (same) 3) Workout consistency. On the whole these changes have produced real results, which has been wonderful, but I’ve hit a wall and that’s where I need helpful direction. My current irritation is that build is the best it’s been in years, it’s just hiding under a layer of fat around my sides and gut that is smaller but still not gone entirely or moving in that direction.

Here’s a more in depth breakdown of each of the three changes I’ve made:

Fasting: I’m keeping to this at least 5 days a week, eating only between 12pm-8pm. The benefits of this is it definitely took fat off and gave me a “consistent maximum” to where I am. It also had multiple side benefits, i have virtually no reflux or gas, and I sleep much better because my stomach isn’t working all night long. However, after 2 years I feel as though it has reached its maximum output for change. I will probably keep it up for the rest of my life because the benefits are so good.

Diet: I have never enjoyed sodas, sweet teas or energy drinks. I like water, coffee alternatives, occasional red wine, tea, and maybe orange juice a couple glasses a month. I don’t often eat sweets, I’ve cut out all “Starbucks drinks”, started eating almonds instead of chips and snacks, etc. One area I can improve on is fast food, it’s a side effect of my profession being on the road nearly every day. Bread I eat probably 3-5 times a week, starches like noodles maybe a little less often.

Workout: I stopped going to the gym but I do a lot of stuff at home. I like body workouts more than weights, so I’m daily doing squats, various push-ups, sit ups, dips, planks, and so forth. My body has responded very well to this regimen, even better than a weight training program I was on prior.

I am not trying to become Mr. Universe. I am a middle aged dad who wants to shave off the last tire around his belly and continue to work hard at keeping myself in good shape into the next phase of my life. Any strategy or thoughts to improve any or all of these areas would help me (and I assume others) tremendously.

Thanks to anyone who reads and responds!

80S Reaction GIF

In addition to what else has been offered here, here are a few other things to consider -

1). If you're doing bodyweight only exercises, do you do every exercise to full failure? Not just X number of reps but, I literally cannot do one more pushup/squat/jump squat/etc? Are you doing multiple compound exercises for each muscle group? Jeff Cavaliere at AthleanX has a great body weight workout on his youtube channel (you can just google it) that pushes till failure and is also a cardio exercise.

2). Shocked I'm saying this, given his insufferable football opinions, but I agree with @OriginalGatorHater that tracking what you eat will help. You cannot outrun/outlift your diet. There are lots of apps for it, I think I used MyFitnessApp last time I was trying to cut weight since it has a lot of data entered in by users for common foods.

3). I agree partially with the cutting out grains thing. I think @OriginalGatorHater is correct about overall calories, but when you eat carbs limiting it to complex carbs like oats, sweet potato, whole grains (actual whole grains, not the ones that are marketed like that at Publix) actually will make a difference.

4). Have you tried jumping rope? I hate running and found it to be more engaging since you need to get good at it, and also you can do it in a confined space. It's also less impact, which is nice as you get older.

5). Think about testosterone production. Things that improve it naturally are getting good sleep, weightlifting, and not drinking. That could help with overall energy and muscle growth.

Best of luck!

In addition to what else has been offered here, here are a few other things to consider -

1). If you're doing bodyweight only exercises, do you do every exercise to full failure? Not just X number of reps but, I literally cannot do one more pushup/squat/jump squat/etc? Are you doing multiple compound exercises for each muscle group? Jeff Cavaliere at AthleanX has a great body weight workout on his youtube channel (you can just google it) that pushes till failure and is also a cardio exercise.

2). Shocked I'm saying this, given his insufferable football opinions, but I agree with @OriginalGatorHater that tracking what you eat will help. You cannot outrun/outlift your diet. There are lots of apps for it, I think I used MyFitnessApp last time I was trying to cut weight since it has a lot of data entered in by users for common foods.

3). I agree partially with the cutting out grains thing. I think @OriginalGatorHater is correct about overall calories, but when you eat carbs limiting it to complex carbs like oats, sweet potato, whole grains (actual whole grains, not the ones that are marketed like that at Publix) actually will make a difference.

4). Have you tried jumping rope? I hate running and found it to be more engaging since you need to get good at it, and also you can do it in a confined space. It's also less impact, which is nice as you get older.

5). Think about testosterone production. Things that improve it naturally are getting good sleep, weightlifting, and not drinking. That could help with overall energy and muscle growth.

Best of luck!
I agree with what you posted. Jeff catches a lot of flack for the fake weights and his clickbait, but his BW workout is good enough for someone who just wants to get into decent shape. He also generally has pretty good, free advice.

The thing is the user I was arguing with recommended that he cut out all grains including oats or real whole grains(I agree with you that most of the "whole grain schit" on the market is trash). Which is fine, if that is what he wants to do. Lots of people make good gains on low carb diets with most of their carbs coming from fruit or veggies, but if you cut out grains and replace that with more fats or something. You won't end up losing any weight. However, there is a lot of research that shows good grains like oats, rice, whole grains, etc. are great sources of carbs. So I don't recommend he cuts out all grains.

I agree with jumping rope. Great exercise and very cheap. If he doesn't like that he could always do BW HIIT exercises. Like a burpee chinup ladder. 20 burpees. 20 chins 19 burpees 19 chins etc.

Advertisement
I'll step into the fray regarding whole grains. Avoiding whole grains, oats and other similar foods is advice that's controversial. Me personally, I say you have to strike a balance b/w health benefits AND weight loss. And for those reasons, cutting out things like oats, whole grains, complex carbs like sweet potato is bad advice. Oats especially has SO many health benefits (gut health, lowers blood sugars, etc) that it would be foolish to give that up. If you want to go hardcore and lose a little from your waist, fine, go keto and intermittent fast and amp up the workouts. But, I don't believe this is a long term goal and it shouldn't be imo. I always balance long term health with functional mobility and strength training. I don't have much to offer in terms of strength training b/c I'm in the same boat as Indy (same age range, roughly, busy life with kids, etc) but one piece of advice I can give is to amp up the functional mobility training the older you get - especially hip mobility. Hip mobility drives everything (knees, back, etc.,).

Check out Ben Patrick, too, if you get a chance. There is more investment if you want to use his program(s) and he might not be for the dad on the go...but his approach is sound and people rave about the results. Might not fit into your lifestyle, but check it out.

kneesovertoesguy on Instagram.

I think you’ve gotten a lot of great advice in this thread. The main determination you need to make however is “health” vs “body composition”. Learning which one you prioritize more is important to determine whose advice to follow.

If the goal is to shred a nagging layer of fat to reveal the work you’ve put into the gym, @OriginalGatorHater has offered the best advice as to calorie management.

There’s also been a lot of great advice in here as to improving health - some things I now will look into incorporating myself! Really cool suggestions with regard to tracking health markers and body functionality.

I need to come to the Off-topic board more.

The advice you offered does not work. I asked you to provide a study and you weren't able to. I am not talking down to anyone. How is asking you to provide a study to support your claim talking down on somebody?

If you eat 1000 calories of grains a day and you stop eating them, you will lose weight since you eat 1000 less calories a day. It has nothing to do with grains. If you cut out 1000 calories of fruit a day and replaced it with 500 calories of grains you also would lose weight. If Inday followed your advice, cut out grains and started eating more of other foods, he wouldn't lose weight unless he actually lowered his calorie intake.

In simple terms. This may have worked for you, not because you cut out grains, but because you ended up eating less. Its simple as that.
Still condescending. And still just wrong.

Amazon product ASIN 1400033462

Advertisement
I'll step into the fray regarding whole grains. Avoiding whole grains, oats and other similar foods is advice that's controversial. Me personally, I say you have to strike a balance b/w health benefits AND weight loss. And for those reasons, cutting out things like oats, whole grains, complex carbs like sweet potato is bad advice. Oats especially has SO many health benefits (gut health, lowers blood sugars, etc) that it would be foolish to give that up. If you want to go hardcore and lose a little from your waist, fine, go keto and intermittent fast and amp up the workouts. But, I don't believe this is a long term goal and it shouldn't be imo. I always balance long term health with functional mobility and strength training. I don't have much to offer in terms of strength training b/c I'm in the same boat as Indy (same age range, roughly, busy life with kids, etc) but one piece of advice I can give is to amp up the functional mobility training the older you get - especially hip mobility. Hip mobility drives everything (knees, back, etc.,).
The bolded part.^

Inday asked for advice on how to get rid of that last stubborn bit of excess body fat. That’s what it often takes to accomplish that. I never said anything about advising him on what he should eat everyday for the rest of his life.

All of them.

Wheat
Corn
Oats
Etc

Forget about counting calories. Just remove sugar and grains from your diet and you will see the last of the spare tire. That means no bread, no pasta, no cereal, no bagels. Also, replace white potatoes with sweet potatoes.
This doesn’t work. I mean it works if you don’t replace them with other calories but it’s calories in calories out, adjusted for the fact that proteins are more thermogenic.

I don’t eat bread or pasta. Maybe 2 times a week and I’m large because I pound protein and power lift. I’m going to try and shave fat April - the summer and will update you all but calories really matter.

An restriction diet works short term but eventually it’s calories consumed * metabolic rate.

OP- Do as much as you can to keep your metabolism UP. It will want to shut down once you go into deficit.

Advertisement
Keto is great IME for burning off that last 10lbs. When you're never hungry it's easy to be in a caloric deficit.

This doesn’t work. I mean it works if you don’t replace them with other calories but it’s calories in calories out, adjusted for the fact that proteins are more thermogenic.

I don’t eat bread or pasta. Maybe 2 times a week and I’m large because I pound protein and power lift. I’m going to try and shave fat April - the summer and will update you all but calories really matter.

An restriction diet works short term but eventually it’s calories consumed * metabolic rate.

OP- Do as much as you can to keep your metabolism UP. It will want to shut down once you go into deficit.
It doesn’t work, but it does. You don’t eat bread or pasta, but you do eat it 2 times a week.

“An restriction diet works short term but eventually it’s calories consumed * metabolic rate.”

Around and around we go.

It doesn’t work, but it does. You don’t eat bread or pasta, but you do eat it 2 times a week.

“An restriction diet works short term but eventually it’s calories consumed * metabolic rate.”

Around and around we go.
It works when you don’t replace the calories and you burn more energy than you eat. Cutting grains is a good way to manage insulin spikes. Low carb is a very easy way to manage down calories in. It also helps people eat foods that are more satiating so they feel less hungry.

What people are arguing with you about is that calories don’t matter. They do and the matter the most.

Advertisement
It works when you don’t replace the calories and you burn more energy than you eat. Cutting grains is a good way to manage insulin spikes. Low carb is a very easy way to manage down calories in. It also helps people eat foods that are more satiating so they feel less hungry.

What people are arguing with you about is that calories don’t matter. They do and the matter the most.
I never said “calories don’t matter.” What I said was that, with this approach, you don’t need to count calories.

I know we have multiple people who are professionals in this area, dozens more who are knowledgeable, and probably a majority who are like me: looking for better results. I’ve been kicking around the idea of submitting my situation, seeing if it sparks a greater conversation, and hopefully helping some people improve their body and life.

Here goes nothing.

Im in the 35-45 year old range. For most of my life I’ve had a pretty light build and have been in and out of gyms on and off throughout adulthood. During my 30-35 years I let myself go, took on a lot of fat and decreased muscle mass, coinciding with the expected drop in metabolism.

In the last 2 years I’ve changed several things to counteract this trend. 1) Intermittent fasting for 16 hours a day (I’ll come back to this in a second). 2) Diet changes (same) 3) Workout consistency. On the whole these changes have produced real results, which has been wonderful, but I’ve hit a wall and that’s where I need helpful direction. My current irritation is that build is the best it’s been in years, it’s just hiding under a layer of fat around my sides and gut that is smaller but still not gone entirely or moving in that direction.

Here’s a more in depth breakdown of each of the three changes I’ve made:

Fasting: I’m keeping to this at least 5 days a week, eating only between 12pm-8pm. The benefits of this is it definitely took fat off and gave me a “consistent maximum” to where I am. It also had multiple side benefits, i have virtually no reflux or gas, and I sleep much better because my stomach isn’t working all night long. However, after 2 years I feel as though it has reached its maximum output for change. I will probably keep it up for the rest of my life because the benefits are so good.

Diet: I have never enjoyed sodas, sweet teas or energy drinks. I like water, coffee alternatives, occasional red wine, tea, and maybe orange juice a couple glasses a month. I don’t often eat sweets, I’ve cut out all “Starbucks drinks”, started eating almonds instead of chips and snacks, etc. One area I can improve on is fast food, it’s a side effect of my profession being on the road nearly every day. Bread I eat probably 3-5 times a week, starches like noodles maybe a little less often.

Workout: I stopped going to the gym but I do a lot of stuff at home. I like body workouts more than weights, so I’m daily doing squats, various push-ups, sit ups, dips, planks, and so forth. My body has responded very well to this regimen, even better than a weight training program I was on prior.

I am not trying to become Mr. Universe. I am a middle aged dad who wants to shave off the last tire around his belly and continue to work hard at keeping myself in good shape into the next phase of my life. Any strategy or thoughts to improve any or all of these areas would help me (and I assume others) tremendously.

Thanks to anyone who reads and responds!

80S Reaction GIF

You've made an incredible commitment to yourself and kept to it and then you go and eat fast food? That's like bragging about giving up pot and beer while still snorting heroin every other day.

That should have been #1 on your list. Please try to figure out a way around it.

I can be a really indulgent eater, and it's hard for me to be good. That said, the first rule of being serious about your diet is to absolutely eliminate fast food, soda and sweet drinks, high fructose corn syrup, and really, really try to cut out as much fried food as you can, and also potatoes (bye bye fries) to the extent that you can. Spuds are incredibly high on the hypoglycemic index (I hope I said that right). Fried spuds, aka fries, is about as bad as it can get.

I am not going hardcore or anything right now, but trying to lower carbs, increase protein, eat as organic as possible, eat anti-inflammatory foods (pineapple!) and avoid inflammatory foods (dairy!). It ain't easy, I miss the cheesy. Also lowering alcohol consumption, saving it for "big nights" and events.

But seriously, no more drive through bud. You got this.

I want the meds that Kanya West [aka:ye] is taking.
We can make a whole thread on him alone.

Advertisement
Back