People need to let go of the idea of Butch

Why schiano? What did he actually accomplish at Rutgers? He is Also Golden at temple with Miami ties.... Plz stop. And that's without being biased about his job here in Tampa... Cut the crap ties or no ties he is Golden pt 2

Except that Schiano welcomes aggression. Golden could be a good coach if he stops being a nice guy. Schiano is not an NFL coach but he did have some success (terms of players having success). David became an All pro, by unleashing him. Schiano kept blitzing the **** out of qb because Tampa didn't have any pass rushers. He isn't my 1st Choice but I will say Schiano isn't afraid to go after a qb. I'll welcome a coach with testosterone

golden reminds me of de la hoya. he's like a boxer than pulls his punches. can't pull the trigger. the times he has been aggressive. The UF game in 2013, duke and the first half of FSU last year. Even that VT game we lost his first year where we made the late comeback. It those instances he coached toe to toe with the best. then he reverts back to this passive crap. FSU might have actually been a career changer for him. at this point I'm done with al golden tho.

Advertisement
Butch Davis was one of my favorite coaches for UM. Jimmy Johnson will always hold the #1 spot for me personally, but Butch was a close second. There is no disputing how great a job he did at UM and his eye for talent is incredible.

However he will never be hired back, and people have to accept that.

Looking a all the things that happened at UM with Shapiro / NCAA and all that (we know our history) there is no way Butch will be brought in to coach after he was let go for all the things happening at UNC. Yes I know the NCAA is full of ****, and are a really corrupt organization, but bringing in Butch puts a target on our back even bigger than it already is, and honestly one we can't afford if the NCAA decides to come seek retribution for not nailing us for Shapiro.

There is no way the administration would do it. I'm definitely not a fan of Golden, but if you are wanting a replacement for him you have to be realistic in who we can get that the admin MIGHT actually hire. They aren't hiring a guy who was connected to academic/athletic scandal to a place that just got through a big scandal. No matter how good of a coach he was.

Posters have to separate what they would love to see happen, versus what is actually going to happen. The OP is right, there is ZERO chance BD will be hired by UM, or any Division I program for that matter.

Advertisement
There is no evidence the Adminsistration is committed to winning either way. They might as well hand the clipboard and play sheet to the janitor.

Other programs playing chess while we are still trying to figure out checkers.

Butch Davis was one of my favorite coaches for UM. Jimmy Johnson will always hold the #1 spot for me personally, but Butch was a close second. There is no disputing how great a job he did at UM and his eye for talent is incredible.

However he will never be hired back, and people have to accept that.

Looking a all the things that happened at UM with Shapiro / NCAA and all that (we know our history) there is no way Butch will be brought in to coach after he was let go for all the things happening at UNC. Yes I know the NCAA is full of ****, and are a really corrupt organization, but bringing in Butch puts a target on our back even bigger than it already is, and honestly one we can't afford if the NCAA decides to come seek retribution for not nailing us for Shapiro.

There is no way the administration would do it. I'm definitely not a fan of Golden, but if you are wanting a replacement for him you have to be realistic in who we can get that the admin MIGHT actually hire. They aren't hiring a guy who was connected to academic/athletic scandal to a place that just got through a big scandal. No matter how good of a coach he was.

Posters have to separate what they would love to see happen, versus what is actually going to happen. The OP is right, there is ZERO chance BD will be hired by UM, or any Division I program for that matter.

No, there will be a full court press to hire Butch back by a few members of the BOT, and buttloads of fans.

The idea has already been introduced to our new President.

Butch will return home to Miami riding a donkey and having rose petals thrown on the ground in front of him.

Deal with it btiches!

Man, all this want for a guy who never won a title and had cheating allegations at UNC.

I don't understand it. Did Butch's players win countless life moments like Al's players do? I think not!

Hogwash! Butch's players win everything!

Yep, his players won participation ribbons at UNC

Butch will return home to Miami riding a donkey and having rose petals thrown on the ground in front of him.

Deal with it btiches!

Man, all this want for a guy who never won a title and had cheating allegations at UNC.

I don't understand it. Did Butch's players win countless life moments like Al's players do? I think not!

Not Butch's deal. UNC had set that up years before Butch ever got there.

It's been investigated six ways to Tuesday, and Butch was clean.

Try again.

Advertisement
butch is proven, hungry for redemption, and has a proven coaching tree. he will leave a successor.

Chud is out the door as soon as an NFL job opens up. alot of the butch bashers including those in the media are secretly pushing for cristobal. cristobal has shown me nothing so far. If not butch, i would go for Mark Stoops. end of story

Nothing wrong with coach looking for NFL. We did very well with those. It is our 3 nesters, Larry, Randy and Al, who have sucked. For Chud to get back to HC in NFL he would have to win here. If we can't have Butch as HC, then maybe NFL hungry Chud hires him as DC/recruiting god. Al has proven you can keep anyone as DC. I could live with that.

Advertisement
I am thinking with Golden't payout UM will be looking for the most bang for the buck that will also have a local Miami tie in, which brings back to Mario Cristabol. Who would probably keep most of current staff minus the Temple crew.

go canes

I like Cristabol, but not quite sue if I would want him as a head coach. He's a good recruiter, and a really great Oline coach, but at FIU they started to sink pretty quickly. Now that program was new and really had nothing an he definitely took him there, but it really deflated quickly.

Also I'll be honest I'm not the biggest fan of getting an alum to be HC after Shannon. I love all the UM players but as a head man I think it's not a smart move. I still have no idea why but alumni HC never really do well. If anyone can think of an alumni HC that coaches his school to a national title? Urban Meyer was from Cincinnati so that's kind of close, Saban is from West Viginia, Same with Jimbo, we just need a great coach.

The guy I think it will be is Greg Schiano. He has a proved track record that is clean in the NCAA, coached under Butch at UM, built Rutgers up and put a bunch of players into the league. He's like getting Butch without the dirty laundry and Cristobal coached under him at Rutgers so you know he would come back to UM and work for him. Don't be surprised if Schiano is our new coach.

Wasn't the dude that beat Dennis in the Sugar Bowl NC game a Bama alum? I do agree that Randy makes a strong case to think twice about alum player as HC, but we do have some with a little more grey matter out there.

UM will always be a target. So, basing coaching hires on what looks good to the NCAA? Glad you're not part of the admin.

Putting the program in the crosshairs of the NCAA is not a good idea we already forfeited bowl games recently. Another round of that and scholarships lost and we are dead. Kids want to play for teams that can compete in the post season. But hey if you think bringing someone in tied to a program that just had a bowl ban imposed is a good idea be my guest, but don't cry for one second if it ends up leveling the program to even worse than where it is now.

The BOT has left us as road will already. ncaa will always be looking at us, but that last shot at us cost them dearly. Getting in bed with nevin resulted in most of their tail feathers being plucked - they are getting told what to do by players' lawyers now. Howard got us into ncaa trouble, Dennis almost got us killed, Butch got us out. Is there some risk with Butch, sure but the reward side is huge. Right now the risk of death is much higher with Al (They do not plan on firing him next year either.) than it would ever be with Butch. Al's reward side is, well, zero.

Try again.

Archer, we know that Pete Garcia was Butch Davis brain when it came to recruiting. We saw the teams he had at UNC and they were 3rd in the ACC at best. What are his players doing in the NFL?

As far as coaching, the guy is the definition of mediocre. Guy had a roster full of first rounders and they could not get to the national title in 2000. You people need to stop with trying to make it sound like rainbows and puppydogs when Butch was here.

If butch was a great coach, why is he sitting in an ESPN office? He might be exonerated but he will always have the UNC stinch.

Advertisement

Try again.

Archer, we know that Pete Garcia was Butch Davis brain when it came to recruiting. We saw the teams he had at UNC and they were 3rd in the ACC at best. What are his players doing in the NFL?

As far as coaching, the guy is the definition of mediocre. Guy had a roster full of first rounders and they could not get to the national title in 2000. You people need to stop with trying to make it sound like rainbows and puppydogs when Butch was here.

If butch was a great coach, why is he sitting in an ESPN office? He might be exonerated but he will always have the UNC stinch.

Agree.

It's the question I always ask, and the answers are so ridiculous, people have to be joking.

Stuff like:

"He wants/wanted to make UNC pay the full buyout he's owed to stick it to them"

Or

"He only wants to coach at Miami"

LOL

It really is laughable!

As I commented on this subject before, he built the greatest team in the history of college football. But he didn't coach them to any titles. He left before the job was done.

People can blame the UM admin for him leaving, but the truth is the NFL paid better than college back then. He made a bunch more money with Cleveland than Miami was ever gonna pay. Y'all can hang the issue on the buyout, if you want ... But that's just the excuse that sounds good. He went to Cleveland because they paid him a ton of money, and he knew he could always come back to college if it didn't work in the NFL.

He missed his chance at being a college football legend by leaving the team he built. And he's not going to be able to re-capture "lighting in a bottle" 16 years later!

Try again.

Agree.

It's the question I always ask, and the answers are so ridiculous, people have to be joking.

Stuff like:

"He wants/wanted to make UNC pay the full buyout he's owed to stick it to them"

Or

"He only wants to coach at Miami"

LOL

It really is laughable!

As I commented on this subject before, he built the greatest team in the history of college football. But he didn't coach them to any titles. He left before the job was done.

People can blame the UM admin for him leaving, but the truth is the NFL paid better than college back then. He made a bunch more money with Cleveland than Miami was ever gonna pay. Y'all can hang the issue on the buyout, if you want ... But that's just the excuse that sounds good. He went to Cleveland because they paid him a ton of money, and he knew he could always come back to college if it didn't work in the NFL.

He missed his chance at being a college football legend by leaving the team he built. And he's not going to be able to re-capture "lighting in a bottle" 16 years later!

He's always going to have the stigma of the cheating scandl. You can say he is exonerated all you want. But the question will always come up in a job interview.

And its absolutely laughable that he would get an interview with Miami since that bridge was burned in 2001.

And don't forget the **** he pulled at a Canes funeral.

Last edited:

Try again.

Until this past winter, Butch was getting his coaching pay.

Someone has to be a dumbass to not know UNC was paying Butch, and he was ****ed enough to let them pay it all.

Another lie of yours is that Garcia was the brain of Butch''s recruiting.

Do yourself a favor. Quit repeating things you learned by rote.

I'd like to say you have a valid point. But then I'd be lying my *** off.

Advertisement
Back