Patrick surtain jr

Someone will have to help me better understand him as a prospect and provide official height/weight and any times. There's next to nothing on that film to give proper insight as to his ability to be an elite CB at the next level. I've seen more from watching QB videos than what I got out of these highlights.

Here's what I saw:

- + length, which I expect him to feature at the next two levels
- good enough overall speed
- straight shuffle step most of the time
- doesn't accelerate through his cutbacks when he has the ball (this is a curious thing for a CB)
- plays tall at times
- willing tackler, mostly saw tackles downfield
- playmaker, as he attacks the ball, of course this is a highlight video
- moved like a zone corner in the video linked above

I'd love to know some official times, especially short shuttle, as his short area seemed different in this 3:40 minute video than what I'd expect from the top corner in the state of Florida. If anyone has more video, would be glad to watch. Perhaps this was too limited.

Here you go.

DB Patrick Surtain Jr. (2018) - (6-2/,192) - 4.57 40, 4.55 shuttle, 35 powerball, 35 vertical jump - 92.16 rating
Thank you, 252. Hadn't previously seen of the numbers.

i've constantly heard that Campbell is the best prospect on that team, but his testing numbers are inferior to Surtain's... and he's listed as a lot smaller

(6-0/,162) - 4.67 40, 4.63 shuttle, 35 powerball, 33 vertical jump - 77.37 rating

You do realize that those are numbers that Ty recorded between 8th and 9th Grades. Kid's about 6'3", 6'4" maybe 190 lbs. Once he's the tallest guy in his house, you're looking at 6'5", 6'6" FS/CB with 99th percentile closing speed. Lil cuz told me he clocked a 4.41 at UGA during the summer before the breakout sophomore season. I believe running a kickoff down and recovering it before it went out of bounds against DeMatha confirmed that.The only reason you're not drooling like Corky from Life Goes On over his numbers is because he was injured last camp season. Remember your porst when he gets invited to The Opening this year. Don't get me wrong, P.J. is a helluva player but I've been watching him since he was at PPO, the minute that things aren't perfect, when the opposition doesn't lay down, the kid folded then and he's been folding ever since. Back when Nayquan & the Gang were @ Pasadena Optimist, they played Pat Jr. & PPO and jumped out em early. He was hanging his head from the first score against him and when he got baptized a little later, it was over. No dog in him, straight to the bench tail tucked done for the day. The West game this past season, he checked out mentally after the first time he was beaten for a catch. You know when dem City Boys smell blood in the water it's feeding frenzy time. By the 3rd quarter, kid was crying under a towel on the sideline while the Bulls were tryna pull an FSpew-Ole ****. Anyone in attendance would tell you I ain't bull****ting. That's not the mental makeup of a lockdown DB and Savage in general. Meanwhile after being avoided all night basically, Tyson did get beat for the score to bring the West within 2. They went right back at him with the same kid, PBU, errbody go the **** home!!!! I've said it before, star whores and recruiting site watchers will come to AH games thinking Surtain and leave saying Campbell...
Good **** right here

Advertisement
Just so you all know.. Surtain is like 150% LSU lock.
Barring Orgeron tanking next year and a better coach coming along, Surtain is out of the picture.

That's the conventional wisdom, but I wouldn't put the percentage quite that high.

This is from his 7 on 7 coach and a few others. The relationship with the db coach at LSU and his pops relationship with him is going to be hard to overcome, we can always try though.

They also said Blades had his job taken in HS by a 2019 kid Jayden Davis...who is small, but a baller apparently.

Barring Orgeron tanking next year and a better coach coming along, Surtain is out of the picture.

That's the conventional wisdom, but I wouldn't put the percentage quite that high.

This is from his 7 on 7 coach and a few others. The relationship with the db coach at LSU and his pops relationship with him is going to be hard to overcome, we can always try though.

They also said Blades had his job taken in HS by a 2019 kid Jayden Davis...who is small, but a baller apparently.

This is absolutely true. Jaden was the best cover corner in STA's secondary this year. He wasn't as flashy and didn't play with the same swag as Assante Samuel, Jr., but Jaden will cover you.

Truthfully, Al Blades, Jr. didn't wow me. He has good size and speed, but his coverage skills were just okay and he missed a tackles.

This is absolutely true. Jaden was the best cover corner in STA's secondary this year. He wasn't as flashy and didn't play with the same swag as Assante Samuel, Jr., but Jaden will cover you.

Truthfully, Al Blades, Jr. didn't wow me. He has good size and speed, but his coverage skills were just okay and he missed a tackles.

Just how good is Blades JR,he got beat bad on a deep ball against a white wr from utah a feww weeks back.

Just how good is Blades JR,he got beat bad on a deep ball against a white wr from utah a feww weeks back.

He must be god awful if he got beat by a white WR. No good black DB ever gets beat by a white WR.

Advertisement
I think Blades and Asante are better but I'd gladly take Surtain.

I'm glad to hear you're so high on Blades. Only game I've seen him, he got beat by a white dude from Utah on tv in crunch time. I'm sure that was just an outlier play (it happens at CB to the best of em).
Alabaga got beat the fck down by a two star white guy the last two times they played Clemson. That "white guy" **** is a nonstarter.

**** got me rollin my ni99a,... ALABAGA!!! Lmao!!

was the lack of PBUs because surtain doesn't get thrown at or.......

[MENTION=6030]Ibis Wingz[/MENTION] can you give me the run down on the heritage dbs?

[MENTION=6030]Ibis Wingz[/MENTION] can you give me the run down on the heritage dbs?

In the four games that I caught live, all I can say is the ball went where #8 wasn't. Marco definitely got tried the most....

Advertisement

Kyle, I saw three AH games live this year. I don't recall a lot of passes in Pat's direction in those games. The opponents threw the ball to Marco Wilson's man and Will Allen, Jr.'s man most frequently. That might explain the lack of PBUs.

I believe that AH had the best secondary of the schools I saw play, including STA. I don't think AH had the depth STA had, but AH was better than STA at three spots. I think Marco Wilson, Tyson Campbell and Pat, Jr. are all better than their counterparts at STA.The AH secondary was better in coverage and was an excellent tackling group.

It's interesting that nobody ever talks about Blades. Everyone is always talking about Surtain and Campbell; We've had threads on Frierson, Hall, even Asante Samuel.

I guess it's just cause he's a lock to come here, but nobody ever mentions him skill-wise. Where does he rank out of the DBs we're looking at?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's interesting that nobody ever talks about Blades. Everyone is always talking about Surtain and Campbell; We've had threads on Frierson, Hall, even Asante Samuel.

I guess it's just cause he's a lock to come here, but nobody ever mentions him skill-wise. Where does he rank out of the DBs we're looking at?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No one can question Al Blades, Jr.'s size, speed or attitude on the field. He is a great prospect and might wind up being the best player out of all the players being mentioned. While he is not the best player I saw at CB, it's not because he's bad, it's because the other players are so good.

Which one's Campbell? #8 ?

I didn't see them throw his way much at all in the State Championship game. They attacked #5 all day and #2 a couple times.

Advertisement
No problem, I'd be just as proud of cuz if he were a math or chess prodigy so my opinion of him as player is 100% objective. But I grew up with guys like Willis & Dre(one name guys on this board) and played against enough ELITE football talent to know that Ty is SPECIAL, a real 1 percenter. As far as him and Rumph, unless things have changed between and I don't know it, he loves Rumph. I can't answer for the other AH targets but scratch Tyson from the list of them that may hate Rumph. Rumph doesn't have to sell himself to his parents and the rest of our family. I like Rumph personally and his demeanor doesn't strike me as one of a hard-assed coach that players would hate, but then again I've never played for him.

I am in the same boat with Rumph. I've only met him once, but he seemed like a great guy. I can't imagine why a player would have a problem with him, but I've never seen him coach in practice.

Rumph is an awesome dude.

Advertisement
Someone will have to help me better understand him as a prospect and provide official height/weight and any times. There's next to nothing on that film to give proper insight as to his ability to be an elite CB at the next level. I've seen more from watching QB videos than what I got out of these highlights.

Here's what I saw:

- doesn't accelerate through his cutbacks when he has the ball (this is a curious thing for a CB)
- plays tall at times

I'd love to know some official times, especially short shuttle, as his short area seemed different in this 3:40 minute video than what I'd expect from the top corner in the state of Florida. If anyone has more video, would be glad to watch. Perhaps this was too limited.

Curious, what is a good shuttle time?

Here's what I saw:

- + length
- plays tall at times

Depends on the year it was tested, firstly. If those times are from when the kid was in 9th grade, that's another thing altogether. Also, have to look at context, so I look at other shuttle times during that same testing period. For instance, Trajan Bandy ran the 3rd fastest short shuttle while weighing 175 pounds and Al Blades ran a sub 4, somehow. Those things stand out to me if I'm confident in my ability to mold players.

Here's what I saw:

- plays tall at times

Depends on the year it was tested, firstly. If those times are from when the kid was in 9th grade, that's another thing altogether. Also, have to look at context, so I look at other shuttle times during that same testing period. For instance, Trajan Bandy ran the 3rd fastest short shuttle while weighing 175 pounds and Al Blades ran a sub 4, somehow. Those things stand out to me if I'm confident in my ability to mold players.

didn't Berrios run the fastest shuttle in the nation?

Advertisement
Back