Patrick surtain jr

Advertisement
If everything else about him was the same but his name was Pat Ondeback he wouldn't be so highly regarded. Looks like a good prospect, but I don't see the type of athleticism that would make him the #1 CB in the country.

Sometimes, hype can do weird things to people. Makes them see stuff that might not be there.

I'd like to be at the table with this guy though.

Someone will have to help me better understand him as a prospect and provide official height/weight and any times. There's next to nothing on that film to give proper insight as to his ability to be an elite CB at the next level. I've seen more from watching QB videos than what I got out of these highlights.

Here's what I saw:

- + length, which I expect him to feature at the next two levels
- good enough overall speed
- straight shuffle step most of the time
- doesn't accelerate through his cutbacks when he has the ball (this is a curious thing for a CB)
- plays tall at times
- willing tackler, mostly saw tackles downfield
- playmaker, as he attacks the ball, of course this is a highlight video
- moved like a zone corner in the video linked above

I'd love to know some official times, especially short shuttle, as his short area seemed different in this 3:40 minute video than what I'd expect from the top corner in the state of Florida. If anyone has more video, would be glad to watch. Perhaps this was too limited.

Here you go.

DB Patrick Surtain Jr. (2018) - (6-2/,192) - 4.57 40, 4.55 shuttle, 35 powerball, 35 vertical jump - 92.16 rating
Thank you, 252. Hadn't previously seen of the numbers.

i've constantly heard that Campbell is the best prospect on that team, but his testing numbers are inferior to Surtain's... and he's listed as a lot smaller

(6-0/,162) - 4.67 40, 4.63 shuttle, 35 powerball, 33 vertical jump - 77.37 rating

You do realize that those are numbers that Ty recorded between 8th and 9th Grades. Kid's about 6'3", 6'4" maybe 190 lbs. Once he's the tallest guy in his house, you're looking at 6'5", 6'6" FS/CB with 99th percentile closing speed. Lil cuz told me he clocked a 4.41 at UGA during the summer before the breakout sophomore season. I believe running a kickoff down and recovering it before it went out of bounds against DeMatha confirmed that.The only reason you're not drooling like Corky from Life Goes On over his numbers is because he was injured last camp season. Remember your porst when he gets invited to The Opening this year. Don't get me wrong, P.J. is a helluva player but I've been watching him since he was at PPO, the minute that things aren't perfect, when the opposition doesn't lay down, the kid folded then and he's been folding ever since. Back when Nayquan & the Gang were @ Pasadena Optimist, they played Pat Jr. & PPO and jumped out em early. He was hanging his head from the first score against him and when he got baptized a little later, it was over. No dog in him, straight to the bench tail tucked done for the day. The West game this past season, he checked out mentally after the first time he was beaten for a catch. You know when dem City Boys smell blood in the water it's feeding frenzy time. By the 3rd quarter, kid was crying under a towel on the sideline while the Bulls were tryna pull an FSpew-Ole ****. Anyone in attendance would tell you I ain't bull****ting. That's not the mental makeup of a lockdown DB and Savage in general. Meanwhile after being avoided all night basically, Tyson did get beat for the score to bring the West within 2. They went right back at him with the same kid, PBU, errbody go the **** home!!!! I've said it before, star whores and recruiting site watchers will come to AH games thinking Surtain and leave saying Campbell...

Someone will have to help me better understand him as a prospect and provide official height/weight and any times. There's next to nothing on that film to give proper insight as to his ability to be an elite CB at the next level. I've seen more from watching QB videos than what I got out of these highlights.

Here's what I saw:

- doesn't accelerate through his cutbacks when he has the ball (this is a curious thing for a CB)
- plays tall at times

I'd love to know some official times, especially short shuttle, as his short area seemed different in this 3:40 minute video than what I'd expect from the top corner in the state of Florida. If anyone has more video, would be glad to watch. Perhaps this was too limited.

Here you go.

DB Patrick Surtain Jr. (2018) - (6-2/,192) - 4.57 40, 4.55 shuttle, 35 powerball, 35 vertical jump - 92.16 rating

i've constantly heard that Campbell is the best prospect on that team, but his testing numbers are inferior to Surtain's... and he's listed as a lot smaller

(6-0/,162) - 4.67 40, 4.63 shuttle, 35 powerball, 33 vertical jump - 77.37 rating

You do realize that those are numbers that Ty recorded between 8th and 9th Grades. Kid's about 6'3", 6'4" maybe 190 lbs. Once he's the tallest guy in his house, you're looking at 6'5", 6'6" FS/CB with 99th percentile closing speed. Lil cuz told me he clocked a 4.41 at UGA during the summer before the breakout sophomore season. I believe running a kickoff down and recovering it before it went out of bounds against DeMatha confirmed that.The only reason you're not drooling like Corky from Life Goes On over his numbers is because he was injured last camp season. Remember your porst when he gets invited to The Opening this year. Don't get me wrong, P.J. is a helluva player but I've been watching him since he was at PPO, the minute that things aren't perfect, when the opposition doesn't lay down, the kid folded then and he's been folding ever since. Back when Nayquan & the Gang were @ Pasadena Optimist, they played Pat Jr. & PPO and jumped out em early. He was hanging his head from the first score against him and when he got baptized a little later, it was over. No dog in him, straight to the bench tail tucked done for the day. The West game this past season, he checked out mentally after the first time he was beaten for a catch. You know when dem City Boys smell blood in the water it's feeding frenzy time. By the 3rd quarter, kid was crying under a towel on the sideline while the Bulls were tryna pull an FSpew-Ole ****. Anyone in attendance would tell you I ain't bull****ting. That's not the mental makeup of a lockdown DB and Savage in general. Meanwhile after being avoided all night basically, Tyson did get beat for the score to bring the West within 2. They went right back at him with the same kid, PBU, errbody go the **** home!!!! I've said it before, star whores and recruiting site watchers will come to AH games thinking Surtain and leave saying Campbell...

Thanks for that insight, didn't know all that. I'm sold. Now how strong really is his relationship with Rumph?

Advertisement

Here's what I saw:

- plays tall at times

Here you go.

Love posts from people who go to the games and see this kind of stuff. Keep posting.

I think Blades and Asante are better but I'd gladly take Surtain.

I'm glad to hear you're so high on Blades. Only game I've seen him, he got beat by a white dude from Utah on tv in crunch time. I'm sure that was just an outlier play (it happens at CB to the best of em).

I am not going to get into the Surtain v. Campbell debate because they are both great prospects. I've seen enough of Surtain at AH to know that he is an elite football player. If you couple his on field production with his measurables, it's pretty easy to see that he is a big time prospect. Is he the best DB prospect in the country or state? I don't know because I haven't seen every kid out there, but I haven't seen many kids who possess his size, athletic ability, nose for the ball and ability with the ball in his hands.

Advertisement
Here you go.

Thanks for that insight, didn't know all that. I'm sold. Now how strong really is his relationship with Rumph?

No problem, I'd be just as proud of cuz if he were a math or chess prodigy so my opinion of him as player is 100% objective. But I grew up with guys like Willis & Dre(one name guys on this board) and played against enough ELITE football talent to know that Ty is SPECIAL, a real 1 percenter. As far as him and Rumph, unless things have changed between and I don't know it, he loves Rumph. I can't answer for the other AH targets but scratch Tyson from the list of them that may hate Rumph. Rumph doesn't have to sell himself to his parents and the rest of our family. I like Rumph personally and his demeanor doesn't strike me as one of a hard-assed coach that players would hate, but then again I've never played for him.

No problem, I'd be just as proud of cuz if he were a math or chess prodigy so my opinion of him as player is 100% objective. But I grew up with guys like Willis & Dre(one name guys on this board) and played against enough ELITE football talent to know that Ty is SPECIAL, a real 1 percenter. As far as him and Rumph, unless things have changed between and I don't know it, he loves Rumph. I can't answer for the other AH targets but scratch Tyson from the list of them that may hate Rumph. Rumph doesn't have to sell himself to his parents and the rest of our family. I like Rumph personally and his demeanor doesn't strike me as one of a hard-assed coach that players would hate, but then again I've never played for him.

I am in the same boat with Rumph. I've only met him once, but he seemed like a great guy. I can't imagine why a player would have a problem with him, but I've never seen him coach in practice.

I am in the same boat with Rumph. I've only met him once, but he seemed like a great guy. I can't imagine why a player would have a problem with him, but I've never seen him coach in practice.

Yeah Wingz, it's a real head-scratcher. I've met him a few times, the first being during the Golden Error and he didn't seem as much like a guy who was anti-U. More of an anti-Used car salesman running my alma mater into the ground guy. Tyson had every opportunity to go to other schools in Broward and Dade, you know the STA's, U-Schools, CC's, Centrals, etc. but Rumph fought hard to get him to AH and cuz wanted to go there. I advised towards(but never pressure), hope, and pray for a repeat, but the decision is his alone...

Just so you all know.. Surtain is like 150% LSU lock.
Barring Orgeron tanking next year and a better coach coming along, Surtain is out of the picture.

Advertisement
Just so you all know.. Surtain is like 150% LSU lock.
Barring Orgeron tanking next year and a better coach coming along, Surtain is out of the picture.

That's the conventional wisdom, but I wouldn't put the percentage quite that high.

I'm glad to hear you're so high on Blades. Only game I've seen him, he got beat by a white dude from Utah on tv in crunch time. I'm sure that was just an outlier play (it happens at CB to the best of em).
Alabaga got beat the fck down by a two star white guy the last two times they played Clemson. That "white guy" **** is a nonstarter.

Alabaga got beat the fck down by a two star white guy the last two times they played Clemson. That "white guy" **** is a nonstarter.

Those 5 star Alabaga guys couldn't come close to covering Home Slice. I'm guessing guys like Edelman, Amendola and Hogan would destroy them too. The white guy thing is passe.

Advertisement
If Surtain was a cane commit right now, he would be the best prospect ever. "OMG we got the next Patrick Peterson!". "Asante is only 5'9 teheheehe. who needs him when you got the #1 DB in the nation!"

its embarrassing.

Surtain is hot garbage, dumbass.

Gimme this and I'm good:

CB:

Campbell
Jobe
Ivey
Samuel/Surtain/Literally anyone else from South Florida (or an elite OOS guy)

S:

Frierson
Hall
Blades
Russell / CJ Smith

Well there are soft as **** if they got a problem with a coach because he is on their ***.

CB
Jobe
Ivey
Blades
Samuel

CB or S
Campbell

S
Frierson
Hall
CJ Smith
Russell

Plenty of backup options like Burns, Robede, and Patterson as well.

This is it. Now tell me WTF we need hot garbage like Surtain for?

Advertisement
Back