Patke is 10th Coach

Not going to get into any arguments on who should've been hired or who would do a better job, I'll just lay out some facts and my impression. Coach Patke has been a GA and quality control coach since 2011 with Miami being his 4th stop, so he's been around the college game for a bit. GA's and QC's can't recruit off campus but they're involved in on campus recruiting, so this off season was his first taste on the road recruiting. Other than that he was essentially already a position coach just without the title. He's a high energy and hard working guy and I know he was well liked when I was there and hadn't heard any complaints about him. I know it's not the **** hire a lot of posters wanted but I think he can be successful.

Interested to hear your perspective on this question...what's the difference between a good recruiter and elite recruiter?

Things like being able to connect with the parents/families, being able to relate to the player, and other generalities like this are obviously important. But are there any intangibles elite recruiters have that may go unnoticed by the typical fan?

Advertisement
Congratulations to the guy. Im happy for anyone who puts in work and gets a shot that puts them one step closer to their dream.

With that said, I think its an incredibly lazy and underwhelming hire, and Im no fan of another Diaz disciple. Brings nothing new to us. Reminds me pf the Randy Melvin hire.

literally just said the same thing. Randy MElvin part 2

Underwhelming hire but Richt has a staff budget. I'm sure we just ponied up raises for Harley and the Donk. Kul got a raise last year. Cheap budget hire. Lets hope he can do something.

Advertisement
Things I like about the hire:

- He can help coach LBs so Diaz can focus on being a full-time DC
- Has a previous relationship with the defensive staff
- A "young guy" who can supposedly recruit - helped at least open the door with Coburn, I'd like to see what he can do with a full year to build relationships

Things I don't like:

- Not even close to a proven coach - zero track record
- The hire smacks of laziness/cheapness
- Doesn't address our Special Teams issues

Bottom line: This is Richt being Richt. He has ALWAYS given his DCs full autonomy to coach, recruit, and hire the way they see fit. It's also been his downfall a couple times (VanGorder, Willie Martinez, et al) Not impressed, but willing to give this guy a chance. If he ends up being the lead recruiter and landing some blue-chip players for us, I'll call it a win.

Let's put this guy on our highest-rated defensive recruits and give him a year. If he can't close, move him back to QC at Incarnate Word or wherever. =P

Advertisement
Not going to get into any arguments on who should've been hired or who would do a better job, I'll just lay out some facts and my impression. Coach Patke has been a GA and quality control coach since 2011 with Miami being his 4th stop, so he's been around the college game for a bit. GA's and QC's can't recruit off campus but they're involved in on campus recruiting, so this off season was his first taste on the road recruiting. Other than that he was essentially already a position coach just without the title. He's a high energy and hard working guy and I know he was well liked when I was there and hadn't heard any complaints about him. I know it's not the **** hire a lot of posters wanted but I think he can be successful.

Interested to hear your perspective on this question...what's the difference between a good recruiter and elite recruiter?

Things like being able to connect with the parents/families, being able to relate to the player, and other generalities like this are obviously important. But are there any intangibles elite recruiters have that may go unnoticed by the typical fan?

This is hard for me to answer since I wasn't recruited at the level like guys that he'll be recruiting are. Obviously being able to hold a conversation and not just talking about X's and O's is important. I had some coaches that recruited me and it was awkward talking to them in person because I felt like I was having to carry the conversation.
Doing their homework on the recruit before talking with him is huge and being able to point out specific things they do well and how that would translate to the scheme that the team runs. Being persistent and displaying the importance of getting that recruit, without crossing the line of being too pushy or annoying the recruit can be hard for a coach to figure out.

The simple fact is, it’s Rick’s ship to run and unlike at Georgia, nobody’s telling him who he can or can’t hire. It’s all 100% on him, as it’s his program and he’s the man at the top.

This is going EXACTLY they way it should.

Rick is building the program HIS WAY, without interference from the AD or the BOT (unlike at UGA). And certainly not from message board heroes trying to micromanage his hiring practices.

Since he doesn’t give a shlt what the BOT or Blake thinks, he sure as fūck isn’t going to care what some flunkie anonymous message board “experts” think.

I’m good with all of it. In the end he’s accountable, as he should be. That’s what any good leader wants. It’s all on him. He’ll either succeed or he won’t, but it’s all on him, the way it supposed to be.

The only thing I’m not good with in any of it is that our spend budgets are significantly lower than most any top 10 team because our revenue is significantly lower, as is our contribution and donation base. We need bigger bettter richer boosters. Any volunteers in the audience?

Give the man a chance, he may be a great asset to the program, time will tell. At least Dan Sileo Jr. did get one thing correct.

Advertisement
Things I don't like:

4th position coach on this staff with ZERO previous position coaching experience

I am blown away by Richt putting all his trust in Diaz. Mind boggling. Al Golden'esq

Underwhelming hire but Richt has a staff budget. I'm sure we just ponied up raises for Harley and the Donk. Kul got a raise last year. Cheap budget hire. Lets hope he can do something.

This is fair. If he just went to the well to get Donk (and possibly Hartley) more $ then maybe he didn't see it as possible/worth it to go again for a new 10th guy- especially if Patke is well regarded in the building.

I'm not saying this is the most desired course of action but we also don't know exactly how much Donk was able get himself from the pie during that flirtation.

Advertisement
Things I like about the hire:

- He can help coach LBs so Diaz can focus on being a full-time DC
- Has a previous relationship with the defensive staff
- A "young guy" who can supposedly recruit - helped at least open the door with Coburn, I'd like to see what he can do with a full year to build relationships

Things I don't like:

Bottom line: This is Richt being Richt. He has ALWAYS given his DCs full autonomy to coach, recruit, and hire the way they see fit. It's also been his downfall a couple times (VanGorder, Willie Martinez, et al) Not impressed, but willing to give this guy a chance. If he ends up being the lead recruiter and landing some blue-chip players for us, I'll call it a win.

The problem at UGA was that he didn’t have full autonomy when he was there

He does at Miami.

His ship to run.

I’m good with whatever he does since he’s ultimately responsible and fully accountable. If I was his boss (Blake) that’s exactly how I would handle it. “Here, this is yours, your calls, 100%, you’ll be evaluated on results - no interference from me”

Therefore, I don’t sweat this stuff. He knows he’s accountable and based on my observations about his demeanor, fire and intensity I think he’s more than motivated to succeed. He seems ****ed to me a lot of the time...I take that as dissatisfaction, which is exactly how he should feel.

Why should we be taking chances on unproven coaches? In the corporate world this is essentially the equivalent of saying this guy has been an analyst/sr analyst for a bit, time to make him a Vice President. Makes no sense. Hire guys who have cut their teeth at a lower tier D1 and demonstrated the ability to produce.

yall just stfu and wait a year before seeing how he did as a LB coach. First year coaches need a chance to be coaches... OK he coulda got his shot at georgia state, but they obviously saw something in his QC role that made the team WANT to keep him around.

Fine with it.

Why should we be taking chances on unproven coaches? In the corporate world this is essentially the equivalent of saying this guy has been an analyst/sr analyst for a bit, time to make him a Vice President. Makes no sense. Hire guys who have cut their teeth at a lower tier D1 and demonstrated the ability to produce.

In the corporate world? What are you talking about?

In the corporate world you’re accountable for results. So is Rick. It’s his choice to make, his path to take and just like in the corporate world he’ll be held accountable for the only thing that counts: results. The rest is whiny bullshlt

Advertisement
Back