Patke - Alleged Special Teams Sensei

I don’t think anybody is arguing that the guy is an excellent special teams coach. It’s the people who say he’s stealing a check from the university of Miami that make no sense.

We could be a lot worse on special teams. How quickly people forget 2017-2019. Special teams Are predicate on having a deep roster which Miami hasn’t had in a long time. We had walk ons getting reps on special teams...that is something that should never happen. Even last year we had guys on our special teams who had no business seeing the field, but had to because we lacked the talented depth.

headley who knows more about his own development than anybody on this board has gone out of his way multiple times to credit Patke for his development. It’s insane how much he improved from 2019 to 2020.

Anyone arguing Patke is any good at ST is doing so based solely on the success of the kickers, which he has nothing to do with, while the unit sucks balls outside of that, as evidenced by the stats.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not only that, but Hedley was averaging 38-39 yards a punt in Juco before he got here. To say that is great before Patke is comical.

Idk the impact Patke had on their kicking improvements, but anyone he tries to make that argument loses credit imo. They show themselves to be non objective.

Also, Patke recruited and signed young Borregales, if were taking credit away from recruiting the old one.
I could be wrong, but didn't Hedley work with a trainer shortly before getting here? He didn't learn how to punt when he got here, I can promise you that. He was booming them day one in practice.

Borregales wouldve come here regardless of who recruited him. Also, Patke had no impact on their kicking improvment. Just because they developed doesn't mean correlation = causation. Jose Borregales was a Groza semifinalist at FIU. Being "great" is based on your opinion. The fact is that he was already good. Again, Patke already admitted to leaving Jose and Lou alone and letting them do their thing and "treating them like pros". It isn't necessarily a bad thing for us to obtain talent thats already developed and give them a stage to shine on, but the fact of the matter is that we aren't really developing the players. The other fact of the matter is our ST has been **** lately. (If you exclude kicking)

Statistics can be cherry picked to prove any point. Why don't we look up the statistics of Baxa's decline under Patke? Or was that due to Kosi? Hmm... I guess it depends on what narrative you post along with your "stats".

The only thing that can be certain is mopers gunna mope and slurpers gunna slurp. I try to be objective and so should everyone.
I like objectivity. So ill converse.

I dont think I said they kicked great because of Patke. I was responding to the poster who said they were great before patke. That wasn't true.

Either way, kicking is a specialty niche. Most STs coaches don't teach that. That is up to trainers.

I ST coach should be judged on blocked punts, kicks, and kickoff coverage units. Thats really all that is in his control. I thought for the most part those units did well. One blocked kick and one kick returned for a td. Not that bad. Could be better though, but certainly not worthy of the hate he gets on here.

Advertisement
Many porsters* here argue that Patke is an excellent special teams coach and to support their assertion they highlight Borregales' and Hedley's success. This argument is false. First, Patke had zero to do with recruiting Borregales and Hedely. Second, Borregales and Hedley were already great at their position before Patke's "coaching". And third, look at the special teams rankings below.

1. Kickoff Return Defense - Rank #101.
2. Kickoff Returns - Rank #60.
3. Punt Return Defense - Rank #69.
4. Punt Returns - Rank #121.

Our special teams are not very special. As Diaz once said, Miami should never be ranked in the 100s in the ANYTHING.

Please stop repeating the false narrative that Patke is a very good special teams coach. Celia Cruz could have done a better job.

View attachment 143812View attachment 143813View attachment 143814View attachment 143815
Seriously speaking - What site are you using to get those stats??? Thanks...

Borregales wouldve come here regardless of who recruited him. Also, Patke had no impact on their kicking improvment. Just because they developed doesn't mean correlation = causation. Jose Borregales was a Groza semifinalist at FIU. Being "great" is based on your opinion. The fact is that he was already good. Again, Patke already admitted to leaving Jose and Lou alone and letting them do their thing and "treating them like pros". It isn't necessarily a bad thing for us to obtain talent thats already developed and give them a stage to shine on, but the fact of the matter is that we aren't really developing the players. The other fact of the matter is our ST has been **** lately. (If you exclude kicking)

Statistics can be cherry picked to prove any point. Why don't we look up the statistics of Baxa's decline under Patke? Or was that due to Kosi? Hmm... I guess it depends on what narrative you post along with your "stats".

The only thing that can be certain is mopers gunna mope and slurpers gunna slurp. I try to be objective and so should everyone.

I've been making that point for a minute. They don't hear you, though. They read anything that can potentially be perceived as negative and it's like they're Charlie Brown and we're the teachers....

Special teams are predicate (whatever tf that means) on having a deep roster??.....Then why was our STs so good from 95-99 with waayyyy more depleted teams??....We had walk ons getting reps??....And???...that was the norm from 95-98........its all about coaching, our STs have been horrible since forever....
Buddy it’s 2021, not 1996.

Anyone arguing Patke is any good at ST is doing so based solely on the success of the kickers, which he has nothing to do with, while the unit sucks balls outside of that, as evidenced by the stats.
Not to mention we have struggled to consistently field a punt with our returners for almost 2 full seasons now. Just fair catch the **** ball and dont turn it over. With the rules these days and how offensive plays and scoring is up, giving up a possession (potentially in plus territory for opponent) is a big effing deal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not to mention we have struggled to consistently field a punt with our returners for almost 2 full seasons now. Just fair catch the **** ball and dont turn it over. With the rules these days and how offensive plays and scoring is up, giving up a possession (potentially in plus territory for opponent) is a big effing deal.
What are you talking about. We were legit 3rd in punt return average in the nation in 2019 and had a first team all ACC returner.

Advertisement
Back