Patke - Alleged Special Teams Sensei

Don’t forget we are finally blocking kicks again.
Ur argument could be punt fielding ; effing rediculous granted. The rest is really just ... CIS gonna offseason CIS.
I'd argue, like that I hate Patke crew that your returner has more to do with your return team than anything else. When Miami has a good return game who were our returners?

Devin Hester
Kevin Williams

When else was our return game top notch and who was that returner?

Advertisement
8/59 OPP punt returns is fine. The rest of it is really bad. 51 touchbacks probably hid how miserable the kickoff coverage could/would have been.
You're much better than this. You're football smart and touchbacks are the majority of the results of KOs these days.

Take away the touchdown return when we were down 17 players, most special teamers, at NC state and what does it say?

Many porsters* here argue that Patke is an excellent special teams coach and to support their assertion they highlight Borregales' and Hedley's success. This argument is false. First, Patke had zero to do with recruiting Borregales and Hedely. Second, Borregales and Hedley were already great at their position before Patke's "coaching". And third, look at the special teams rankings below.

1. Kickoff Return Defense - Rank #101.
2. Kickoff Returns - Rank #60.
3. Punt Return Defense - Rank #69.
4. Punt Returns - Rank #121.

Our special teams are not very special. As Diaz once said, Miami should never be ranked in the 100s in the ANYTHING.

Please stop repeating the false narrative that Patke is a very good special teams coach. Celia Cruz could have done a better job.

View attachment 143812View attachment 143813View attachment 143814View attachment 143815
They are the same people who claim Manny Diaz is one of the best defensive minds in the Country and then have little to no response regarding games where his players display a literal avoidance of tackling, right after one of their best tackling displays on the road just the week prior.

Having a stellar INDIVIDUAL punter and kicker is fantastic....and it is MOSTLY about those individuals if we can just block long enough and decently snap the ball on time.

Special TEAMS go beyond those stellar individual efforts however, and punt coverage/kick off coverage and returns are huge areas not involving those individuals

Advertisement
Watch our coverage and return units this year when you have guys like James Williams, Chase Smith, Tyler Johnson, and Curtis on them.
I hope you’re right. But Bama plays some starters on special teams so lack of bodies doesn’t completely absolve Patke.

I’m doing it for the silent majority out there who don’t want to be mocked by your kind.
The silent majority doesn’t want repeat spam, whether it’s 15-0 or 0-12, but ok... just trying to help.

We had so many touchbacks last season our overall KO return yardage is skewed by one long return.

25% of our entire season’s return yardage allowed came on one play.

That stat is very misleading.
Same with punts. The math is elementary. I‘d just rather see the touchbacks and fair catches because it seems there’s a **** penalty on every return. Risk vs reward. Even in the NFL

8/59 OPP punt returns is fine. The rest of it is really bad. 51 touchbacks probably hid how miserable the kickoff coverage could/would have been.

Or maybe the one long return gets averaged out a little.

Kickoff and punt return defense were fine. Kicker and punter were the best in America.

KO returns were minimal. The only issue we had was muffed punts.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Facts.

I hope you're able to get that joke. If not do a quick search using your mope leader and maybe you will.
No reason to insult Dwins. He’s been very kind with you in your aggression towards him.

You're much better than this. You're football smart and touchbacks are the majority of the results of KOs these days.

Take away the touchdown return when we were down 17 players, most special teamers, at NC state and what does it say?

You can literally just look at the screenshot OP posted and see that Miami's touchback rate was an outlier. If your kicker doesn't have a powerful leg most kickoffs will be returned. If your coverage unit is poor that means it will be exposed a lot more. Either way you'll be giving up superior field position.

Isn't it the job of the special teams coach to prepare whatever players he has at his disposal? Kick coverage jobs are supposed to have a lot of turnover as players move up and down depth charts. Why do Canes fans constantly try to make excuses to defend coaches as though teaching is not part of their job description?

Advertisement
Not only that, but Hedley was averaging 38-39 yards a punt in Juco before he got here. To say that is great before Patke is comical.

Idk the impact Patke had on their kicking improvements, but anyone he tries to make that argument loses credit imo. They show themselves to be non objective.

Also, Patke recruited and signed young Borregales, if were taking credit away from recruiting the old one.
Borregales wouldve come here regardless of who recruited him. Also, Patke had no impact on their kicking improvment. Just because they developed doesn't mean correlation = causation. Jose Borregales was a Groza semifinalist at FIU. Being "great" is based on your opinion. The fact is that he was already good. Again, Patke already admitted to leaving Jose and Lou alone and letting them do their thing and "treating them like pros". It isn't necessarily a bad thing for us to obtain talent thats already developed and give them a stage to shine on, but the fact of the matter is that we aren't really developing the players. The other fact of the matter is our ST has been **** lately. (If you exclude kicking)

Statistics can be cherry picked to prove any point. Why don't we look up the statistics of Baxa's decline under Patke? Or was that due to Kosi? Hmm... I guess it depends on what narrative you post along with your "stats".

The only thing that can be certain is mopers gunna mope and slurpers gunna slurp. I try to be objective and so should everyone.

I don’t think anybody is arguing that the guy is an excellent special teams coach. It’s the people who say he’s stealing a check from the university of Miami that make no sense.

We could be a lot worse on special teams. How quickly people forget 2017-2019. Special teams Are predicate on having a deep roster which Miami hasn’t had in a long time. We had walk ons getting reps on special teams...that is something that should never happen. Even last year we had guys on our special teams who had no business seeing the field, but had to because we lacked the talented depth.

headley who knows more about his own development than anybody on this board has gone out of his way multiple times to credit Patke for his development. It’s insane how much he improved from 2019 to 2020.
Special teams are predicate (whatever tf that means) on having a deep roster??.....Then why was our STs so good from 95-99 with waayyyy more depleted teams??....We had walk ons getting reps??....And???...that was the norm from 95-98........its all about coaching, our STs have been horrible since forever....

I love the false narrative here that Joey B was "GREAT" before he got here. When the real truth is he had 1 great game, against Miami, before he got here. Here are his stats before coming to UM and while at UM. He was only "GREAT" with UM. But that is an amazing job wasting your time. I got to hand it to you, Patke living rent free in you.

STATS

FG%FG1-1920-2930-3940-4950+LNGXPMXPAPTS
90.920-220-05-56-67-92-257373797
72.421-290-07-86-115-63-4533739100
73.714-190-06-73-54-61-153545596
83.315-180-07-76-62-40-144404085

Imagine needing to work this hard to stick up for Patke. Do you have any proof, whatsoever, at all, that Patke was actually involved as a kicking coach for Borregales?

We both know you don't. Further, kicking coaches are highly specialized. So, this is stupid, you're dying on this rock, and you should try getting your nose out of Patke's *** for once.

Even IF Patke was completely responsible for this MODEST improvement from Borregales, the thats from OP tell all the story you need to hear.

Advertisement
Back