Pate's Take on the Win

Advertisement
I have to admit that I gave the same recommendation to Kyle Hamilton’s family 2 years ago (Notre Dame safety who the Ravens drafted in the 1st round in 2022), but with a caveat. Kyle hurt his ankle and missed a game. With just a few games left in the season, I recommended that Kyle not return. What makes that different, IMO is that Kyle already had the injury so it would not appear as though he was sitting out just to play in the NFL.

I don’t care for what Acho is recommendIng because I think supreme competitiveness is the most important thing for an athlete. However, Christian McCaffrey did not play in his bowl game, I think he started that trend, and that has certainly not hurt his level of competitiveness.
All that matters at this point for Caleb is what do the NFL teams think?

If they believe shutting it doen this early is a negative, then of course he needs to play. If they don't care, and he has enough tape, why risk it?

They [NFL] even set the tone by sitting out their stars for meaningless games for a run at the playoffs.

The college bowl games are meaningless now unless its the CFPO.

The environment is the environment.

Pate is the only one I listen to because he’s one of the few that doesn’t rely on absurd emotional takes to try and captivate and galvanize the stupidity of most people sitting around listening to this stuff

He actually talks facts but he gets the nuances of the sport which gets lost on a huge section of fanbases out there

Nice to see someone in sports being rewarded for just being normal for a change

The thing that initially turned me on to him actually was before I even heard any of his opinions about us.
The End Reaction GIF by Freeform

speaking for myself, no. I like him because he cuts through the BS and the politics and presents his opinions and arguments clearly and concisely.

No one is immune to either praise or criticism. He's been all over Dabo this season. Last night it was Dabo and Lincoln Riley.

He opened the show going after Emmanuel Acho's advice to Caleb Williams to shut it down and prep for the combine/draft...
(see below)

Unpopular opinion, Acho is right. College football stopped being a brotherhood long before Caleb took a snap in college. He has nothing left to play for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Unpopular opinion, Acho is right. College football stoooed being a brotherhood long before Caleb took a snap in college. He has nothing left to play for.
Acho did say anything wrong… his take is a “side of the street”. From a “fan of the game” perspective you hate the idea of it.

The Jake Butt injury changed the game for a lot players.

Josh Pate is one of the best in the business right now and it was 100% home grown. 0% reliance on big networks (ESPN) to grow his audience and you can tell he wants to keep it that way.
I've got to know Josh a little bit since being introduced to him at an event 2 years ago. Great guy for sure and the bolded is spot on.

He is knowledgeable. He's respectful and honest which is rare in his profession and that is why he gets the information and trust that he does.

My only complaint/feedback on him is there's not much X&O to his analysis, very repetitive, and 99% of the time he's too balanced and too conservative. You rarely see him take a strong stance on something and he rarely says anything controversial. That's his model and his choice. His show. I just find it hard to listen to full episodes multiple times a week because it feels like the same thing every week. I 100% tune into anything he says about Miami. Usually listen to the full show every other week. Hope he keeps climbing and gets more access and more possibilities to add to his show.

I also think he hasn't taken advantage whatsoever of what he could air and broadcast in his weekly game visits and the access he gets there. He needs to do something similar to his offseason school visits. So much meat on the bone and exclusive content that he's missing out on. Typically stuff that no one else is doing as long as you're not trying to duplicate FOX and Gameday - make it a little different.

I haven't watched it. But a serious question. Do you all like him because he seems to be pro Miami?
It does help, but I enjoy watching all of his content not just his Miami bits because he's totally unbiased and I find him really entertaining

Advertisement
I've got to know Josh a little bit since being introduced to him at an event 2 years ago. Great guy for sure and the bolded is spot on.

He is knowledgeable. He's respectful and honest which is rare in his profession and that is why he gets the information and trust that he does.

My only complaint/feedback on him is there's not much X&O to his analysis, very repetitive, and 99% of the time he's too balanced and too conservative. You rarely see him take a strong stance on something and he rarely says anything controversial. That's his model and his choice. His show. I just find it hard to listen to full episodes multiple times a week because it feels like the same thing every week. I 100% tune into anything he says about Miami. Usually listen to the full show every other week. Hope he keeps climbing and gets more access and more possibilities to add to his show.

I also think he hasn't taken advantage whatsoever of what he could air and broadcast in his weekly game visits and the access he gets there. He needs to do something similar to his offseason school visits. So much meat on the bone and exclusive content that he's missing out on. Typically stuff that no one else is doing as long as you're not trying to duplicate FOX and Gameday - make it a little different.
I watch usually Sundays. If I see a clip from one of the weekday shows I may go to YouTube and watch. But I agree- once a week is good.

Advertisement
I haven't watched it. But a serious question. Do you all like him because he seems to be pro Miami?
He’s not “pro Miami” he’s pro what he thinks Mario is building. He doesn’t expect immediate results from new coaches. He doesn’t ignore Miami or any other teams like the rest of the media when they are no longer in the championship picture. Bc he’s not at ESPN/big media, he doesn’t have to spend all day talking about the playoff contenders only. Or the new hyped up team of the week. He can talk about the teams who are as he sees it, on the way up. He’s probably the most level headed and unbiased commentator out there.

Achos take is exactly what is wrong with NIL/Current state of college sports. The reason USC is 6-2 is because of a mercenary/celebrity mindset that the team has. Just a bunch of high end transfers that could get a massive NIL deal and get a ring.

I get sitting out of bowl games but to sit out the rest of the season just because you can’t win a ring? It screams entitlement if he was to go through with the advice. Godforbid you play for your brothers, for your school or for the love of the game.

Idk encouraging kids to sit out regular season games because they can no longer win a ring/award brings a bad taste in my mouth
I can’t see this ever becoming a thing. What NFL squad is gonna want to take a chance on you with that attitude? I wouldn’t.

Advertisement
To be fair most college football fans his age probably were unless you or your family were from south Florida.
I was raised in Jersey just fell in love with the legacy. The city vibe and kids from the hood, love it man. Once you move something you love it that’s it. No one will ever talk me out of being a cane fan.

I think FSU Miami has a chance to be gameday (as long as we don’t lose again) and every week pate goes somewhere and I think he’ll go to tally that week. He mentioned last night he was looking for a reason to get down there

Advertisement
Back