Pate's Take on the Win

Advertisement
He ain’t pro Miami he just calls it like some see it. He was raised to hate Miami
I’d say he is neutral Miami, but our fanbase gets him good engagement so we also tend to get more coverage than we get on other programs. Also doing an on location tour of our facility and associated positive coverage does him well in our books.

speaking for myself, no. I like him because he cuts through the BS and the politics and presents his opinions and arguments clearly and concisely.

No one is immune to either praise or criticism. He's been all over Dabo this season. Last night it was Dabo and Lincoln Riley.

He opened the show going after Emmanuel Acho's advice to Caleb Williams to shut it down and prep for the combine/draft...
(see below)

Achos take is exactly what is wrong with NIL/Current state of college sports. The reason USC is 6-2 is because of a mercenary/celebrity mindset that the team has. Just a bunch of high end transfers that could get a massive NIL deal and get a ring.

I get sitting out of bowl games but to sit out the rest of the season just because you can’t win a ring? It screams entitlement if he was to go through with the advice. Godforbid you play for your brothers, for your school or for the love of the game.

Idk encouraging kids to sit out regular season games because they can no longer win a ring/award brings a bad taste in my mouth

Achos take is exactly what is wrong with NIL/Current state of college sports. The reason USC is 6-2 is because of a mercenary/celebrity mindset that the team has. Just a bunch of high end transfers that could get a massive NIL deal and get a ring.

I get sitting out of bowl games but to sit out the rest of the season just because you can’t win a ring? It screams entitlement if he was to go through with the advice. Godforbid you play for your brothers, for your school or for the love of the game.

Idk encouraging kids to sit out regular season games because they can no longer win a ring/award brings a bad taste in my mouth
Another ugly consequence of the NIL game that’s just beginning to rear it’s ugly head.

I’d say he is neutral Miami, but our fanbase gets him good engagement so we also tend to get more coverage than we get on other programs. Also doing an on location tour of our facility and associated positive coverage does him well in our books.
I’m just saying that came from Pates mouth that he was raised to hate UM. He said it this season

Advertisement
I haven't watched it. But a serious question. Do you all like him because he seems to be pro Miami?
The thing that initially turned me on to him actually was before I even heard any of his opinions about us.

A) he's clearly a dude that loves CFB (this actually came up last night when he was talking about Acho's tweet) and he obviously does the work to be very very informed.

B) he's a dude from Georgia that lives in Nashville and has a Bible Belt background but has a national appreciation for the sport. You don't see any agenda with the guy or any extreme biases.

C) he has the communication skills to do a show that can push 90 minutes SOLO and to keep it entertaining and very informative. That's pretty freaking hard if you're not relying on manufactured "hot takes" or pandering to certain conferences.

Ironic he is not a sports figure, he was a screenwriter, attended North Carolina and drifted into being a sports broadcaster. I like his honesty and directness. I do think he wants the Canes to succeed but not in an overwhelming way.
Haha. That's actually a different dude. Was how the joke started that this Pate is in his 50's.

I'd love to hear Rusty Medearis' take on Caleb sitting/playing.

As long as NFL teams don't view it as a negative, Acho's take is somewhat a sound business decision for Caleb unless USC takes out a golden parachute catastrophic injury policy on him.

Advertisement
I’m just saying that came from Pates mouth that he was raised to hate UM. He said it this season
He absolutely did and that's why I like him so much. He was bred to hate Miami, but rather than going with the group think that is SEC way, he decided to actually think for himself (he reminds me of Herbie in that respect). I loved when he did an entire segment on why certain entities hate UM. He called out a lot of people and did it in a very diplomatic manner.

He absolutely did and that's why I like him so much. He was bred to hate Miami, but rather than going with the group think that is SEC way, he decided to actually think for himself (he reminds me of Herbie in that respect). I loved when he did an entire segment on why certain entities hate UM. He called out a lot of people and did it in a very diplomatic manner.
Herbie been ****ing me off lately. I catch the shade he throws now every chance he speaks on Miami.

Yup

Me I don’t like uf or fsu but if they are doing well and good I’m going to call it. You have to be unbiased as well it’s best. Good for one’s sanity.

Advertisement
Herbie been ****ing me off lately. I catch the shade he throws now every chance he speaks on Miami.
Not to turn this into a Herbie thread, but I think he's more frustrated with UM than anything (as we all are). I was referring more to his comments that have been viewed up here as "anti-Ohio State" and the group think mentality that permeates college football. I understand it's different with former players, but when someone points out the unflattering truth, despite the backlash he'll receive for not falling in line, is something that I like.

Yup

Me I don’t like uf or fsu but if they are doing well and good I’m going to call it. You have to be unbiased as well it’s best. Good for one’s sanity.
I have no problem with one's biases. I mean we all have them. Just be honest about them. If you're an SEC slurper (Finebaum) or a UM apologist, own it and don't pretend you're objective.

I have no problem with one's biases. I mean we all have them. Just be honest about them. If you're an SEC slurper (Finebaum) or a UM apologist, own it and don't pretend you're objective.
I stay trying to be objective even have to check myself. On the jaden Davis OT pick I was swearing his hand was under it. My boy said nah it hit the ground I’m like yea maybe that’s the homer in me lmao. Got to check yourself

Advertisement
The thing that initially turned me on to him actually was before I even heard any of his opinions about us.

A) he's clearly a dude that loves CFB (this actually came up last night when he was talking about Acho's tweet) and he obviously does the work to be very very informed.

B) he's a dude from Georgia that lives in Nashville and has a Bible Belt background but has a national appreciation for the sport. You don't see any agenda with the guy or any extreme biases.

C) he has the communication skills to do a show that can push 90 minutes SOLO and to keep it entertaining and very informative. That's pretty freaking hard if you're not relying on manufactured "hot takes" or pandering to certain conferences.
Guy genuinely likes / loves college football, follows the sport like religion, and is a legit gym rat ... very good athlete ... with excellent communications skills. Enjoy listening to his podcasts.

I'd love to hear Rusty Medearis' take on Caleb sitting/playing.

As long as NFL teams don't view it as a negative, Acho's take is somewhat a sound business decision for Caleb unless USC takes out a golden parachute catastrophic injury policy on him.
I have to admit that I gave the same recommendation to Kyle Hamilton’s family 2 years ago (Notre Dame safety who the Ravens drafted in the 1st round in 2022), but with a caveat. Kyle hurt his ankle and missed a game. With just a few games left in the season, I recommended that Kyle not return. What makes that different, IMO is that Kyle already had the injury so it would not appear as though he was sitting out just to play in the NFL.

I don’t care for what Acho is recommendIng because I think supreme competitiveness is the most important thing for an athlete. However, Christian McCaffrey did not play in his bowl game, I think he started that trend, and that has certainly not hurt his level of competitiveness.

Advertisement
Back