Patchan hypothetical

This thread reminds me of the grief Chickilo use to get. Folks wanted him moved to DT, too. Now, he’s an OLB with the Steelers, and Miami fans are so confused. Lol

There’s more to playing DE than just getting sacks.

Patchan should be more comfortable with his weight next season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a significant jump in production. Dude will be a full grown man next season.

Really hope he makes that jump.

Advertisement
Wtf has Patch proven in 5-6 years???

There's something called upside, in order for players to reach their potential they have to get opportunities to develop & maturate into the players they have the capability of being, the only way to do that is by getting reps.

We know exactly what Patch is, he's already reached his ceiling, he's limited & doesn't have the ability to be an impactful full time starter. Playing him over Jaelan Phillips or Harvey is exactly like playing him over Rousseau.

Yall are sounding exactly like the Corching staff, play the lesser talented upperclassmen because he's "eXpErIeNcEd" while having multiple 4/5-star players with way higher upside & better ability on the bench for some stupid *** innocuous reason while we lose games smh lol.

Patchan would never take a snap at programs like Clemson, LSU, Bama, Oh St, etc, but at Miami there are people who actually thinks he should start lol.

Not sounding like anything. You're making the case for Phillips and Harvey based on what? High school tape for either or a few college snaps for Phillips? I hope both of them are better than Patchan, if not, Miami is fvcked.

Advertisement
Since Patch is coming back and most like him, but feel that he is too slow to be a high performing DE at this level except for run support, would it make any sense to put 15-20 pounds on him this offseason and turn him into a pass rushing 3 technique DT?

At 6'6", he has the frame to put on the weight. He's good at run support and seems like he plays with sufficient power. Have no clue if this is a dumb idea or not, but I do know that we've a pass rushing DT for 3 seasons in a row and then we didn't have one last season and it showed. I suppose if that DE from Temple comes in, this might get some looks.
Only slurpers like him

Some of you clowns ***** about everything. Is Patchan a game-changer destined for NFL stardom? **** no. The guy has overcome a boatload of injury issues, rotational player who isn't a diva, and in a time when marginal players can't wait to blow out of Coral Gables and sign for an NFL camp invite, it's refreshing to have a kid who wants to be a Cane and is willing to continue sacrificing his body for the Canes. In other words, Scott Patchan is the least of Miami's problems.

Advertisement
This thread reminds me of the grief Chickilo use to get. Folks wanted him moved to DT, too. Now, he’s an OLB with the Steelers, and Miami fans are so confused. Lol

There’s more to playing DE than just getting sacks.

Patchan should be more comfortable with his weight next season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a significant jump in production. Dude will be a full grown man next season.

Really hope he makes that jump.
This a bad comparison that you made simply because they're both white. Chickillo had obvious explosiveness and led the team in sacks as a freshman and sophomore before the staff tried to turn him into a DT. Patchan has 3.5 sacks in 5 season and hasn't shown much explosiveness the past 2 years. He was already a "full grown man" this past season and barely did anything. People don't just get better because they get older.

You guys are too much.

When we get "out-physical'ed" on the line of scrimmage, we're undersized. And S&C and the staff sucks because we're playing with 245 lb DEs.

Patchan isn't a pure speed guy and you all want him to lean down.

Patchan is a nice tool in the tool box. We can use him on run downs.

He isn't a good pass rusher but from a "production" standpoint Patchan wasn't far behind Garvin and Hill.

We would probably be fine without him since we have Rousseau, Phillips, Harvey, Cam, Chantz, Q. Williams

Garvin: 37 tackles / 9 TFL / 5.0 sacks

Hill: 27 tackles / 9.5 TL / 4.5 sacks

Patchan: 33 tackles / 6 TFL / 2.5 sacks

I agree if anything he needs to drop some weight to get faster. Donaldson is another guy that needs to drop some weight to get quicker. It is like our S&C coach doesn't know which guys are to big for their own good.
Gonna be a struggle for Donaldson to get in shape with the knee tear

Advertisement
He should definitely be in the rotation however, my problem with him this past season is his affinity for committing dumb *** penalties. He's been here forever, if he's still lacking discipline sit his *** on the bench.

Agree with that, but besides Greg, who better proven player right now?

Harvey, Phillips, Williams? I hope one of them starts opposite of Rousseau

if Patchan keeps getting all the snaps the younger players will never have a chance to prove themselves.

Until he actually got on the field Rousseau wasn’t proven, and he’s a lock to go first round next year.

Advertisement
Since Patch is coming back and most like him, but feel that he is too slow to be a high performing DE at this level except for run support, would it make any sense to put 15-20 pounds on him this offseason and turn him into a pass rushing 3 technique DT?

At 6'6", he has the frame to put on the weight. He's good at run support and seems like he plays with sufficient power. Have no clue if this is a dumb idea or not, but I do know that we've a pass rushing DT for 3 seasons in a row and then we didn't have one last season and it showed. I suppose if that DE from Temple comes in, this might get some looks.

Where are you from, the big 10 conference, as many knee problems as that man has had and you want him to gain weight. He's good just where he's at, im not sure why people dont like em, its beneficial having a guy like him on the roster. His gives his best effort, is not a cry baby and wants what's best for the team, and he makes plays. Not sure why he's being singled out, plus he's a guy that helps the young guys develop, he's real valuable to the team.

We need his experience at DE and to take reps on run downs. Outside of GR15, experience is lacking.

Phillips is talented but needs to show he can be healthy. Harvey didn’t really get reps this year to show what he has. The rest either redshirted or are incoming freshman.

Plus we have some depth at DT and Patchan isn’t a freshman, so to add that much weight in a short time after 5 years of college S&C could only be bad weight.

Patchan should have never gained all that weight. He actually had pretty good quickness his Sophomore year I think it was. This play always sticks out

I see somebody knows their football, this was always one of my favorite patchan plays, gave frenchie the business. Showed what pass rushing level he could get too, im glad he's back, definitely helps the team!

if Patchan keeps getting all the snaps the younger players will never have a chance to prove themselves.

Until he actually got on the field Rousseau wasn’t proven, and he’s a lock to go first round next year.

Fair point

Advertisement
Back