Patchan hypothetical

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Since Patch is coming back and most like him, but feel that he is too slow to be a high performing DE at this level except for run support, would it make any sense to put 15-20 pounds on him this offseason and turn him into a pass rushing 3 technique DT?

At 6'6", he has the frame to put on the weight. He's good at run support and seems like he plays with sufficient power. Have no clue if this is a dumb idea or not, but I do know that we've a pass rushing DT for 3 seasons in a row and then we didn't have one last season and it showed. I suppose if that DE from Temple comes in, this might get some looks.

Advertisement
Patchan should have never gained all that weight. He actually had pretty good quickness his Sophomore year I think it was. This play always sticks out

I agree if anything he needs to drop some weight to get faster. Donaldson is another guy that needs to drop some weight to get quicker. It is like our S&C coach doesn't know which guys are to big for their own good.

Advertisement
We have Nesta, Ford, Jordan Miller, Jarred Harrison-Hunte, Jason Blissett, Jalar Holley & Elijah Roberts coming in at DT, plus possibly Willie Moise if he signs.

Patch doesn't need to bulk up & play DT, he doesn't need to do anything except be a vet standing on the sideline that doesn't take reps for more talented younger players.

He should only be on the field late in games if we have a lead, or in the dire case of injuries.

A lot of TEs are converted to DEs and vice versa. Patchan might have a better shot actually getting on the field as a blocking TE since I don't think any of the TEs on the current rooster play that role. He probably doesn't get much burn there either but at least it is an unfilled niche.

We have Nesta, Ford, Jordan Miller, Jarred Harrison-Hunte, Jason Blissett, Jalar Holley & Elijah Roberts coming in at DT, plus possibly Willie Moise if he signs.

Patch doesn't need to bulk up & play DT, he doesn't need to do anything except be a vet standing on the sideline that doesn't take reps for more talented younger players.

He should only be on the field late in games if we have a lead, or in the dire case of injuries.
We have one returning DE better than Patchan.

He’s going to get plenty of burn.

Debatable, but I think the larger note from this thread is that something needs to be done about his weight. He either needs to bulk up even more or he needs to slim down and become quicker.

Advertisement
Debatable, but I think the larger note from this thread is that something needs to be done about his weight. He either needs to bulk up even more or he needs to slim down and become quicker.
He needs to slim down about 10 pounds and become slightly quicker, because he is needed more at DE than DT. That said on 3rd and long downs, I would still kick him inside with this pass rushing line (Rousseau DE, Silvera DT, Patchan DT, Roche DE)

He needs to slim down about 10 pounds and become slightly quicker, because he is needed more at DE than DT. That said on 3rd and long downs, I would still kick him inside with this pass rushing line (Rousseau DE, Silvera DT, Patchan DT, Roche DE)
That all sounds right.

Are young DE will eat him alive!!! We have way too much talent for him to get any real burn! Needs to move inside

Geeze, Patchan just came off one of the best games of the year for any lineman and you come off with this ****. Everyone you named hasn't done anything yet.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Patchan is maxed out as a player, there's literally nothing he does that makes him a premier player that should take snaps away from guys with higher upside.

You guys have seriously been jaded from all the years of mediocrity at Miami that yall have forgotten what talent actually looks like.

Patchan is maxed out as a player, there's literally nothing he does that makes him a premier player that should take snaps away from guys with higher upside.

You guys have seriously been jaded from all the years of mediocrity at Miami that yall have forgotten what talent actually looks like.

Agree with that, but besides Greg, who better proven player right now?

Harvey, Phillips, Williams? I hope one of them starts opposite of Rousseau

Patchan should have never gained all that weight. He actually had pretty good quickness his Sophomore year I think it was. This play always sticks out

Patchan gaining a few pounds since he arrived at Miami is not the problem, it's the injuries to both knees that has impacted his athleticism.

An in regards to the other posters suggestion of adding more weight on him, that would be very bad for Patchan. At this point he is what he is as a player, he can provide quality depth get his masters then move on to be a UDFA or GA at some school with a very good dline coach.

Go Canes

Agree with that, but besides Greg, who better proven player right now?

Harvey, Phillips, Williams? I hope one of them starts opposite of Rousseau
Wtf has Patch proven in 5-6 years???

There's something called upside, in order for players to reach their potential they have to get opportunities to develop & maturate into the players they have the capability of being, the only way to do that is by getting reps.

We know exactly what Patch is, he's already reached his ceiling, he's limited & doesn't have the ability to be an impactful full time starter. Playing him over Jaelan Phillips or Harvey is exactly like playing him over Rousseau.

Yall are sounding exactly like the Corching staff, play the lesser talented upperclassmen because he's "eXpErIeNcEd" while having multiple 4/5-star players with way higher upside & better ability on the bench for some stupid *** innocuous reason while we lose games smh lol.

Patchan would never take a snap at programs like Clemson, LSU, Bama, Oh St, etc, but at Miami there are people who actually thinks he should start lol.

Advertisement
Back