Patchan hypothetical

Lol patchan wants to Be a cane obviously by coming back for his 6th year i think he should be on a special teams captain and be on all the special teams to give him snaps and then on D certain packages.... i don’t mind him starting as long as we rotating about 4-5 DEs i can’t wait to see if Phillips is that dude or not.
He. Is. Not. A. Starter.

I get it, he's been here forever & is Cane legacy all that good stuff, but if yall ever wanna see this team win there comes a point when feel good stories & consolation prizes aren't the main factor for Playing time.

There are more talented players that need reps & can be impactful players, it's a waste of time try to recreate the Rudy movie every year with some player that maxed out & hit his ceiling just because it makes fans feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

At contending programs he doesn't see the field, it's a no brainer that Phillips should play more than him, otherwise what's the point of even having a player of his caliber on our team if he's just gonna sit on the bench behind a 6th year Senior with 2 sacks for his career?

I know yall love the under dog storybook endings, but Jesus Christ man put the talent on the field & let them maturate into their potential. Rousseau was sitting on the bench behind lesser talented players too until he got the opportunity to show that he's literally one of the best Pass rushers in the nation, coming into the season he was "unproven" too.

It's nothing personal to Patchan as a person, but it's beyond self evident that he's not better than the younger guys.

Advertisement
If he’s heathy he’s good on run downs. Kid probably should grad transfer to a 3-4 school. He’s a pro type end in some of those schemes.

He. Is. Not. A. Starter.

I get it, he's been here forever & is Cane legacy all that good stuff, but if yall ever wanna see this team win there comes a point when feel good stories & consolation prizes aren't the main factor for Playing time.

There are more talented players that need reps & can be impactful players, it's a waste of time try to recreate the Rudy movie every year with some player that maxed out & hit his ceiling just because it makes fans feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

At contending programs he doesn't see the field, it's a no brainer that Phillips should play more than him, otherwise what's the point of even having a player of his caliber on our team if he's just gonna sit on the bench behind a 6th year Senior with 2 sacks for his career?

I know yall love the under dog storybook endings, but Jesus Christ man put the talent on the field & let them maturate into their potential. Rousseau was sitting on the bench behind lesser talented players too until he got the opportunity to show that he's literally one of the best Pass rushers in the nation, coming into the season he was "unproven" too.

It's nothing personal to Patchan as a person, but it's beyond self evident that he's not better than the younger guys.

You might be right on a lot of this but Patchan as of today at worst has proven he works like a dog, sets the edge, and doesn’t quit on plays. The insane talent Miami has isn’t really proven at all outside of Rousseau.

I personally like the idea of an old vet available to keep the pups honest. They can be athletically gifted all they want - I watched on 3rd down Rousseau jog mid play and then get blocked by Louisiana Tech’s quarterback while looking to the ref for a holding call. Those lowlight plays matter. No reason why Rousseau couldn’t have blown up that play or the quarterback (or both).

This team needs grit from their young guys. Having a guy like Patchan taking their spot when they half *** is great motivation.

Patchan has been here for **** near a decade & has 2 sacks for his entire career...

Call a spade & spade.
Your not wrong but if we have the scholarship room available it doesn't hurt to have him on the team for one more year for depth purposes. If we needed the scholarship I would agree but we don't this upcoming year.

You might be right on a lot of this but Patchan as of today at worst has proven he works like a dog, sets the edge, and doesn’t quit on plays. The insane talent Miami has isn’t really proven at all outside of Rousseau.

I personally like the idea of an old vet available to keep the pups honest. They can be athletically gifted all they want - I watched on 3rd down Rousseau jog mid play and then get blocked by Louisiana Tech’s quarterback while looking to the ref for a holding call. Those lowlight plays matter. No reason why Rousseau couldn’t have blown up that play or the quarterback (or both).

This team needs grit from their young guys. Having a guy like Patchan taking their spot when they half *** is great motivation.
I could just as easily point out several plays from multiple games where Patchan had boneheaded penalties & made horrible reads in attempting to rush the passer.

Rousseau is arguably the best pass rusher in the NATION with Chase Young declaring for the draft, isolating one play of his in comparison to the entirety of his season is exactly the kind of logic that leads to 6-7 seasons. Patchan is not qualified to be some check & balance system for any player on this team, he's not remotely close to being a good player & has just as many if not more mistakes on his film than everybody else does.

The best players need to play, period. Good teams don't have this tug of war, only at Miami could a guy with so little productivity be a 6th year Senior & still be in discussions to be a possible starter. Having Patchan take better players spot is not motivation, it's mediocre style coaching.

Advertisement
Your not wrong but if we have the scholarship room available it doesn't hurt to have him on the team for one more year for depth purposes. If we needed the scholarship I would agree but we don't this upcoming year.
I never said he needs to move on, I said he needs to be on the bench while the better players are on the field.

No.

No.

No.

Since Patch is coming back and most like him, but feel that he is too slow to be a high performing DE at this level except for run support, would it make any sense to put 15-20 pounds on him this offseason and turn him into a pass rushing 3 technique DT?

At 6'6", he has the frame to put on the weight. He's good at run support and seems like he plays with sufficient power. Have no clue if this is a dumb idea or not, but I do know that we've a pass rushing DT for 3 seasons in a row and then we didn't have one last season and it showed. I suppose if that DE from Temple comes in, this might get some looks.

He. Is. Not. A. Starter.

Yes that’s true and I’m with you the best players need to play and if the young guys are showing that then it shouldn’t take 4-5 weeks for us to see that.

Advertisement
Wtf has Patch proven in 5-6 years???

There's something called upside, in order for players to reach their potential they have to get opportunities to develop & maturate into the players they have the capability of being, the only way to do that is by getting reps.

We know exactly what Patch is, he's already reached his ceiling, he's limited & doesn't have the ability to be an impactful full time starter. Playing him over Jaelan Phillips or Harvey is exactly like playing him over Rousseau.

Yall are sounding exactly like the Corching staff, play the lesser talented upperclassmen because he's "eXpErIeNcEd" while having multiple 4/5-star players with way higher upside & better ability on the bench for some stupid *** innocuous reason while we lose games smh lol.

Patchan would never take a snap at programs like Clemson, LSU, Bama, Oh St, etc, but at Miami there are people who actually thinks he should start lol.
Funny how so many want to compare Canes to elite teams when Canes are average to below. Compare the Canes to the Coastal. Focus on winning the Division before jumping to the next episode.

Parchan is plenty good against Coastal teams and the weak non-conference schedule the Canes face in 2020. He will be a vital contributor and being the Canes are 10 short of 85 ‘ship players, be thankful he returned or it’s one leas short at the DE position which is thin and filled with inexperienced players.

Would add that for as many great plays as Rosseau made and hopefully continues to make, he also disappeared in some games, including Louisville (when Chase Young was out and Rosseau had a chance to overtake him as the nations sack leader) and FIU.

We have one returning DE better than Patchan.

He’s going to get plenty of burn.

We have 4 returning DEs better than Scott Patchan and the freshmen we have coming are better as well. Scott Patchan should only play during mop up duty or barring injury.

We have 4 returning DEs better than Scott Patchan and the freshmen we have coming are better as well. Scott Patchan should only play during mop up duty or barring injury.

None of them have proven they are better on the field as a Miami Hurricane.

Advertisement
We need his experience at DE and to take reps on run downs. Outside of GR15, experience is lacking.

Phillips is talented but needs to show he can be healthy. Harvey didn’t really get reps this year to show what he has. The rest either redshirted or are incoming freshman.

Plus we have some depth at DT and Patchan isn’t a freshman, so to add that much weight in a short time after 5 years of college S&C could only be bad weight.
To keep it simple you don’t play experienced players over more talented players. You can get a talented player experience but you can’t make an experienced player more talented.

He is not getting all the snaps.....he can be an asset in the room, (game prep) especially with new players, and fill in as needed. The guy has been loyal as ****, and would not be here now if injuries had not delayed his departure. Use him to grow the Early enrolees, and be an influence in the locker room.
He hasn’t been on a winning team so how can his experience make a difference?

Wtf has Patch proven in 5-6 years???

There's something called upside, in order for players to reach their potential they have to get opportunities to develop & maturate into the players they have the capability of being, the only way to do that is by getting reps.

We know exactly what Patch is, he's already reached his ceiling, he's limited & doesn't have the ability to be an impactful full time starter. Playing him over Jaelan Phillips or Harvey is exactly like playing him over Rousseau.

Yall are sounding exactly like the Corching staff, play the lesser talented upperclassmen because he's "eXpErIeNcEd" while having multiple 4/5-star players with way higher upside & better ability on the bench for some stupid *** innocuous reason while we lose games smh lol.

Patchan would never take a snap at programs like Clemson, LSU, Bama, Oh St, etc, but at Miami there are people who actually thinks he should start lol.

LMAO

Advertisement
He. Is. Not. A. Starter.

Preach!!

Patch seemed pretty solid in run support. If he gets some reps as backup DE for 1st and 2nd downs to give GR15/Phillips a breather im fine with that. Never should be in for 3rd down passing situations though, never...

To keep it simple you don’t play experienced players over more talented players. You can get a talented player experience but you can’t make an experienced player more talented.

Who said play him over more talented players?

I said we need his experience bc we have a bunch of young guys at DE. Patchan may not be the most talented but he works hard and that set a tone for younger guys. His taking reps on run downs where he actually plays well helps keep those talented rushers fresh. And until those young more talented guys show they are ready to step up its good to have a guy who’s played significant minutes.

Advertisement
Back