Patchan hypothetical

if Patchan keeps getting all the snaps the younger players will never have a chance to prove themselves.

Until he actually got on the field Rousseau wasn’t proven, and he’s a lock to go first round next year.
He is not getting all the snaps.....he can be an asset in the room, (game prep) especially with new players, and fill in as needed. The guy has been loyal as ****, and would not be here now if injuries had not delayed his departure. Use him to grow the Early enrolees, and be an influence in the locker room.

Advertisement
This a bad comparison that you made simply because they're both white. Chickillo had obvious explosiveness and led the team in sacks as a freshman and sophomore before the staff tried to turn him into a DT. Patchan has 3.5 sacks in 5 season and hasn't shown much explosiveness the past 2 years. He was already a "full grown man" this past season and barely did anything. People don't just get better because they get older.

No. I make the comparison because the same arguments were made about Chickilo. Especially after he got injured, and the assumption was made that he lost his explosiveness because his sack numbers went down.

But Chickilo has turned out OK, and is actually pretty decent off the edge for Pittsburgh.

Again, there is more to playing DE than sack numbers.

2 years lost due to injuries
A year and a half playing TE at team request
PFF rated him as one of our top 2-3 DLs this year
He is a Cane legacy
He Posts intelligently on Social Media (tempted to remove this as it is my opinion, while the rest are facts)
Religiously plays assignment football
2-year starter at DE while these players with upside haven't knocked him off his perch on Greentree

6'6" DTs arent a thing. Leverage.
They are good in passing situations and that is what OP stated he would be used for. I don't think he needs to gain any weight to play the 3-DT on 3rd and long. We had Rousseau inside on 3rd down blowing by the guards and center. IDK what role Patchan will have next year, but he will have a roll.

Advertisement
2 years lost due to injuries
A year and a half playing TE at team request
PFF rated him as one of our top 2-3 DLs this year
He is a Cane legacy
He Posts intelligently on Social Media (tempted to remove this as it is my opinion, while the rest are facts)
Religiously plays assignment football
2-year starter at DE while these players with upside haven't knocked him off his perch on Greentree

I don't mind Patchan at all...

But as for the last point -- Ehhhh...Not sure they have that opportunity. Coaches play favorites. And what does social media have to do with anything? Or Cane legacy?

But overall I agree with you...Don't mind him and a nice rotation DE. Just not a great pass rusher.

Last edited:
Advertisement
W need DE more than DT (cant believe Im saying that). Keep him as a 4th DE. Solid first down player.

Advertisement
Since Patch is coming back and most like him, but feel that he is too slow to be a high performing DE at this level except for run support, would it make any sense to put 15-20 pounds on him this offseason and turn him into a pass rushing 3 technique DT?

At 6'6", he has the frame to put on the weight. He's good at run support and seems like he plays with sufficient power. Have no clue if this is a dumb idea or not, but I do know that we've a pass rushing DT for 3 seasons in a row and then we didn't have one last season and it showed. I suppose if that DE from Temple comes in, this might get some looks.
All due respect to Patchan...I love his passion...but he just isn't athletic enough to start at DE

It's pathetic that it took 5 games for Rousseau to start

This thread reminds me of the grief Chickilo use to get. Folks wanted him moved to DT, too. Now, he’s an OLB with the Steelers, and Miami fans are so confused. Lol

There’s more to playing DE than just getting sacks.

Patchan should be more comfortable with his weight next season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him have a significant jump in production. Dude will be a full grown man next season.

Really hope he makes that jump.
I just don't get why a lot of the CIS family dump on this kid. He's had two years lost to injury and has come all the way back to have a great dominating performance in the bowl game (8.5 tackles, 2.5 tfl and 1.5 sacks). I don't know how he'll turn out next year, but if he can build on his bowl performance that's a good thing.

Advertisement
We have Nesta, Ford, Jordan Miller, Jarred Harrison-Hunte, Jason Blissett, Jalar Holley & Elijah Roberts coming in at DT, plus possibly Willie Moise if he signs.

Patch doesn't need to bulk up & play DT, he doesn't need to do anything except be a vet standing on the sideline that doesn't take reps for more talented younger players.

He should only be on the field late in games if we have a lead, or in the dire case of injuries.
**** that’s a lot of DTs lol

Wtf has Patch proven in 5-6 years???

There's something called upside, in order for players to reach their potential they have to get opportunities to develop & maturate into the players they have the capability of being, the only way to do that is by getting reps.

We know exactly what Patch is, he's already reached his ceiling, he's limited & doesn't have the ability to be an impactful full time starter. Playing him over Jaelan Phillips or Harvey is exactly like playing him over Rousseau.

Yall are sounding exactly like the Corching staff, play the lesser talented upperclassmen because he's "eXpErIeNcEd" while having multiple 4/5-star players with way higher upside & better ability on the bench for some stupid *** innocuous reason while we lose games smh lol.

Patchan would never take a snap at programs like Clemson, LSU, Bama, Oh St, etc, but at Miami there are people who actually thinks he should start lol.
Lol patchan wants to Be a cane obviously by coming back for his 6th year i think he should be on a special teams captain and be on all the special teams to give him snaps and then on D certain packages.... i don’t mind him starting as long as we rotating about 4-5 DEs i can’t wait to see if Phillips is that dude or not.

Advertisement
Back