Pac 12 Players Asking for 50% of revenue to play this year

We get into other issues like ...

...Some players are worth more than others.

So there will have to be some sort of work related pay scale based on certain criteria (starting unit, * level, etc.).

Also "problems with money than without" line... ...many NFL Rookies are irresponsible with their money. The NFL even has counseling and money experts and we still see idiots blowing their money like it is nothing and making really poor choices at what, 21. 22 years of age?

Good luck with 18 year olds, many of whom have no sense of direction or idea about how real life works.
I think the big thing is the NIL rights. They should’ve had them years ago. We all know the top players get bags anyways. That addresses the issue of some players being worth more than others.

if you read Bill Connellys article from today, it references bills put forth by Corey Booker (who played TE at Stanford). It had restrictions like any pay had to be made public, you couldn’t get paid til you completed a year of school, and other counter-measures designed to protect amateurism.

To me, and I’m spitballing here, pay them minimum wage for required hours (no OT for voluntary workouts), give them health ins for a few years after school (lingering injuries), and let them profit off their likeness. Something like that.

Advertisement
Yea that's why most schools spend a fortune on tutors because they don't want to educate the players. LMAO A degree from UM is hardly something to laugh at. Show them the door.
Those tutors are there to keep them eligible. Period. The jock majors, most of which have little actual value are there to keep them eligible. Again, if it was truly about education, some of these kids wouldn't be admitted. These kids can see how little education is valued by most of these departments. Hence the warehousing of kids.

Am I the only one who believes the only way this works is if you trade your scholarship for “likeness” funds? This would allow all non revenue sports to be on the same playing field as football and basketball. Kids leave early all the time banking on that pro contract that never comes. This is the same concept. Let the local markets decide how popular the players are. Title Nine is no longer an issue.

Why do so many of you give a rats *** about players get paid or not? Ain't none of your business. You all just bleeding hearts for the poor? You are obviously college football fans so I assume you enjoy the game, a game you will destroy as it is with this viewpoint. It will become the XFL to the NFL. And for what gain of yours? None. Why destroy something you love for zero benefit to yourself?

Advertisement
Those tutors are there to keep them eligible. Period. The jock majors, most of which have little actual value are there to keep them eligible. Again, if it was truly about education, some of these kids wouldn't be admitted. These kids can see how little education is valued by most of these departments. Hence the warehousing of kids.
It does suck that schools treat it that way. The kids don’t have to treat it that way, though.

I know being a full time student and an athlete is pretty **** hard, but you get out what you put into it.

Quite contrary, its obvious that they finally do.

Bigtime football is awash with $$$.

The players see EVERYONE else getting paid....except for the ones doing the actual work and playing on the field.

Don't tell me about the NCAA chump change atheletic scholarships. I had academic scholarships, and knew others on scholarships that allowed us to live many times better than any player while in college with no restrictions on additional income, besides maintaining a grade point average.

What is the NFL league minimum? Not sure on the exact amount, but I believe it was 400K last time I checked. Those players have to pay for their house, all their own bills, food, etc out of that amount.

I'll agree the players should be able to make extra money off their likeness or even get an additional job like anyone else in college. However, A few facts and data for the people on the side of fence that these players are exploited and not compensated fairly for what they do.

1) What percentage of these players would be attending these academic institutions if it wasn't for sports. The majority would not make it in. The standards for them to attend are lowered and they are provided a platform to showcase their talents for possible professional career along with the additional compensation we'll get into. Not to mention the support system and networking after they leave. All these schools have been around long before any of the current players were even alive and will be when they leave. No specific player makes College Football. The Universities with all their alum and fans is the driving force. That's why people still root for their teams, attend games, and watch on TV after a player graduates. You don't think they would still do all that if they pulled players from the regular student body to fill the teams like the old days? I mean the talent would take a hit, but everyone would still watch to see if their school was the best. There's still a leather football and 100 yards of grass to play on and for people to watch.

2) That chump change athletic scholarship is still worth just as much as an academic one. Some schools that's 50K-75K or more depending on the school. Not to mention housing, food, general bills (water, lights, etc) which is another 25K-30K. No student loan debt to pay back

3) The get also get free tutoring, free apparel, and other sport related perks that general students do not get which that dollar amount is not really known.

4) The get a degree from a major university that they can use on a job application if they are not able go pro that has untold future earning possibilities.

So we know they're getting compensation at around 100K overall a year. The myth that these players are not compensated and exploited is a bunch of bullsh*t.

The NCAA has zero to do with scholarships. This is not even an issue for them to solve. This is a problem for the PAC-12 conference. Other conferences could wind up in the same situation depending on the outcome.
The NCAA puts limits on scholarships,, hardly zero..

Advertisement
The NCAA puts limits on scholarships,, hardly zero..
Yes your right. The NCAA rules limit scholarships per each sport. Perhaps I should have worded it differently. In the context of the NCAA having everyone lose their scholarship as the OP contends, the NCAA has zero power to do that. They can't punish one conference, team or individual by taking away their scholarship(s), for something they don't like which would be the case.

They can and do reduce scholarships, declare ineligibility for rules and/or academic violations.

Last edited:
Why have campuses?
The thing I don't is the classes.....what's with the classes? Where did that come from?

All you really should have is dorms, fraternity houses, weed, parties, plenty of womens, stadiums, a quota limiting indoctrinational Marxist-Commie professors, good off campus strip clubs in town.....

Advertisement
The thing I don't is the classes.....what's with the classes? Where did that come from?

All you really should have is dorms, fraternity houses, weed, parties, plenty of womens, stadiums, a quota limiting indoctrinational Marxist-Commie professors, good off campus strip clubs in town.....
I was commuter student, so I had those at home.

Advertisement
Anyone claiming that they would still go let alone pay for games if they were played by scrawny, uncoordinated, gimpy legged frat boys wearing bifocals as long as they were wearing our colors is completely full of chit.

Those types of unathletic groups of students are out there NOW playing and have been all year round....yet I've yet to see any crowds gathered to witness or cheer them....not even their loved ones or relatives.

Most people will only pay to see some semblance of talent....even if it's their own relatives, for charity or even if they are completely bored out of their heads

Last edited:
Why do so many of you give a rats *** about players get paid or not? Ain't none of your business. You all just bleeding hearts for the poor? You are obviously college football fans so I assume you enjoy the game, a game you will destroy as it is with this viewpoint. It will become the XFL to the NFL. And for what gain of yours? None. Why destroy something you love for zero benefit to yourself?

bc they deserve to get a piece of the pie that they built even if its just profiting off their own likeness. idgaf if it kills the college game. oh well if it does. i hope the g league destroys college hoops too. at least, players will be able to monetize their talent

bc they deserve to get a piece of the pie that they built even if its just profiting off their own likeness. idgaf if it kills the college game. oh well if it does. i hope the g league destroys college hoops too. at least, players will be able to monetize their talent
Most players will not make more through their nil compared to what they get for a scholarship. Maybe the top 10% would benefit

Advertisement
Back