Owens Possibly Starting?

[video=youtube_share;-Kpps2ysrFQ]https://youtu.be/-Kpps2ysrFQ[/video]
#56Nightmares

Michael Pinckney was the 2nd best LB on our team last year...

That practice stuff and mat drills and swinging dumbbells is all fine and dandy. But give me the dog who kills the other team on the football field.
Precisely...

Pinck had a phenomenal Freshman year, I got nothing against Owens, but his entire career hasn't looked half as good as Pinckney's TF season.

His speed, his natural instincts, his incredible tackling ability, his Pass coverage & even playing injured last year...

The kid is a true warrior & has future NFL ability, people I guess just need their memories refreshed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
#56Nightmares

That practice stuff and mat drills and swinging dumbbells is all fine and dandy. But give me the dog who kills the other team on the football field.
Precisely...

Pinck had a phenomenal Freshman year, I got nothing against Owens, but his entire career hasn't looked half as good as Pinckney's TF season.

His speed, his natural instincts, his incredible tackling ability, his Pass coverage & even playing injured last year...

The kid is a true warrior & has future NFL ability, people I guess just need their memories refreshed.

Some of you guys are being way to critical of Owens. He had a true freshman year in Golden/D'No defense where he was told to play like a McDonald's cheeseburger, missed a year due to injury, and played last year at maybe 70%. Truth is we really don't know a whole lot about Owens as a player.

I feel bad for Owens. His ceiling looked incredibly high after his freshman season....but he was only a fraction of his former self last year. Effort and technique will only take you so far if you don't have the speed/agility. If he gets that back, i can see him getting some quality minutes. But last year it wasn't there.....he was running with a hitch.

Owens was absolutely terrible as a true Freshman

Advertisement
Can Owens back-up Pinckney and Shaq?

If Perry is really balling, that's a nice top 5.

#56Nightmares

Precisely...

Your basically describing what Owens looked like as a TF.

Pinckney is better than Owens & I'm not gonna argue with y'all over it.

Get back to me in September/October & let's revisit the topic then.

#56Nightmares

Precisely...

LOL. You guys were watching some other dude named Owens if you thought he played well as a freshmans.

Advertisement
#56Nightmares

Precisely...

LOL. You guys were watching some other dude named Owens if you thought he played well as a freshmans.

Pre injury he showed exactly what the three freshmen shown. He was explosive, athletic and could be used in different ways. Obviously he isn't the same anymore but two years removed from his knee injury it would be nice to see that type of player again.

I would agree that Mike has played alot better as a Cane even before Owens was injured ...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Doesn't really matter in this defense our linebackers rotate a lot. The competition and better play only increases as the second teamers begin to try and push the starters

Owens is slow and takes bad angles. When Pinckney got thrown out of the WVU game, it was very apparent he was gone when their RB took 2 runs around the edge for big gains.

Owens had a nice sack though, but his first step is really slow compared to Pinckney, and I'm not sure he's got the same football awareness either.

Advertisement
Owens is slow and takes bad angles. When Pinckney got thrown out of the WVU game, it was very apparent he was gone when their RB took 2 runs around the edge for big gains.

Owens had a nice sack though, but his first step is really slow compared to Pinckney, and I'm not sure he's got the same football awareness either.

He was coming offf of a devastating injury... he will look even better this year. Sometimes it's a mind thing and sometimes the injury physically still lingers. I think it was a combination of both in Owens case tbh

It should be no surprise that Owens may start. He is a very talented player who always had great potential. He is a big fast and physical LB. we are getting back to the days where no one has a guaranteed spot.

You can tell Diaz loves Pinkney and stays on him to make him great. I've mentioned I saw Pinkney do things I hadn't seen around UM since Nate Webster and Mike Barrow. He is a f'in natural.

Best natural lb i ever saw was ray lewis as a frosh at miami. Of all the guys since, spence had the best natural lb instincts, imo. And love me some barrow and webster. But sounds like a separate discussion.

Advertisement
You can tell Diaz loves Pinkney and stays on him to make him great. I've mentioned I saw Pinkney do things I hadn't seen around UM since Nate Webster and Mike Barrow. He is a f'in natural.

Best natural lb i ever saw was ray lewis as a frosh at miami. Of all the guys since, spence had the best natural lb instincts, imo. And love me some barrow and webster. But sounds like a separate discussion.
Ray's on another level altogether, I think. When I reference Pinkney and Barrow, it's because of slipping and covering multiple gaps just with instinct.

Last edited:

I like Owens a lot but there's no debate , not even an argument. Pink was the most complete lb of the crew last year. Honestly I think mccloud has the most upside.

I have a different appreciation for just how good Nate Webster was watching film now in my 30's than I did watching him in the 90's as a teen. Dude was a str8 beast.

Owens flashed as a freshman despite a horrid defensive system and coaching.

I have a different appreciation for just how good Nate Webster was watching film now in my 30's than I did watching him in the 90's as a teen. Dude was a str8 beast.

Owens flashed as a freshman despite a horrid defensive system and coaching.

Owens barely played as a freshmen.

Advertisement
Back