Owens Possibly Starting?

I remember Shaq's dad even said a healthy owens would be starting

He likes Owens because he's friends with him for years. Owens isn't anywhere near Pinckney's league as a football player. He's better in the weight room and getting off the airplane. But that's it.

Owens is a Tarzan guy since he got here. Never made that many plays on the football field in HS or here even before he got hurt.

Hopefully with Diaz coaching him at LB he'll get that bully in him and start playing like his measurables suggest he should.

Owens looked good during games even while playing for Golden. Looks 1/3rd of himself since getting injured

Advertisement
Owens as a RS Junior has two years experience on the Bermuda Triangle and just as much talent IMHO. His problem was his knee. We saw what Young was able to do before being booted from the team, #2 in tackles after Grace, I believe, maybe #3 . Owens was better than Young before that knee injury, and still looked gimpy in the bowl game 3 months ago.

D$ said Owens was not 100% earlier this week. But from reading about his recent progress, it looks promising he will be close to 100% by August. He's got 4+ months to regain his mojo. Then let's have the discussion on who should start. I hope and expect that they will battle it out all year for snaps.

I'll bet you everything from a diddle-eyed Joe to a damned if I know that Finley will be a linebacker by August.

My prediction is a bit wild but it's based off how I feel things will play out:

SLB McCloud -- Wilder -- Perry -- McCray

MLB Shaq -- Gordinier -- Smith -- Steed(RS)

WLB Pinckney -- Owens -- Gordinier -- Jennings

This isn't that wild. McCray really isn't good. Perry hasn't proven a single thing. I can easily see them being beaten out. But if anyone's going to do it I think It'd be Jennings at SLB that does it. But realistically I expect Owens/Gordinier to get the majority of backup snaps, regardless the actual position they'd be subbing in for. I don't expect all 3 (Shaq, Mccloud, Pinckney) getting subbed out very often. So if just one of the OLB comes out, Owens will go in. If just Shaq came out Gordinier would go in. If two OLBs came out, Owens and Gordinier would go in....At least thats what i think will happen.

Advertisement
[MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION]

U speaking real **** dog I would say the same thing u saying

Gordinier & Owens are not starters in this Defense, stop confusing yourselves people...

Shaq, Pinckney & McCloud are the 3 best LB's on the team, they will start.

Pinckney will be suspended for the 1st half of the Bethune Cookman game, therefore Owens needs the reps to get ready for that game.

It's that simple...

1st team spring reps to prepare a player with significant playing experience to play the first half against Bethune Cookman? No, it's def not that simple.

Pinckney doesn't give a consistent effort in practice and the coaches are trying to motivate him. Plus, Owens is our best backup LB and is likely in improved shape from last year so he's showing that he's a quality player.

That's the more likely scenario.

With that said, Pinckney will definitely be one of our 3 starting LBs this season (and will be **** good)

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's worth noting that Owens, as a recruit, is the exact type of LB prospect our staff seems to favor. Dude was a long, fast-twitch player with range and size, playing safety and LB. And he had the frame to add weight and maintain his speed. The injury threw him off course, but he showed to be serviceable despite being a shell of himself athletically last year. If he can gain back his athleticism, then we have 4 studs to fill 3 LB spots.

Those comments have nothing to do with motivating Pickney. IMO
All he Diaz said is he performed well during mat drill never implied that Owens was making a play for Pickney spot.
They ask him about Owens physical recovery and he answered.

All he Diaz said is he performed well during mat drill never implied that Owens was making a play for Pickney spot.

But the fact that Owens has been getting first team reps has a lot to do with motivating Pinckney IMO

But the fact that Owens has been getting first team reps has a lot to do with motivating Pinckney IMO

Has he? I haven't seen that reported. I honestly must have miss it.

Advertisement

Yes, and he's still not 100%. So Pinkney better gear up for a battle. There's no way Owens is running with the 1s just because of Pinckney's half-game targeting suspension.

Yes, and he's still not 100%. So Pinkney better gear up for a battle. There's no way Owens is running with the 1s just because of Pinckney's half-game targeting suspension.

That's the beauty of competition.

Gotta be amnesia or something, because y'all must of forgot how great Pinckney played last year, now people actually think Owens is going to take his spot smh lol

Advertisement
I remember Shaq's dad even said a healthy owens would be starting
Owens and Pinkney have known each other since Pop Warner... and are use to competing against one another... nothing new now.. When Owens was SLB and Shaq was Mike Owens SR Year he had 122 tackles to Shaq 98 tackles Shaq was a Soph... Owens was a beast... seeing them both play and practice in HS i feel comfortable saying if they all play to their potential... All.. Owens will be the best LB on the team... with that said i do realize potential is not always realized... Mike has the knack of being in the right place at the right time .. and a competitor .. quick and very instintive ... I want him to go all out in everything he does ... but he will reserve for game day.. A game in HS he took an int back 60 yds for a TD but then sat out the next series cause he was gased in a close game ... i told him that can't be if you do it right the game will be easy... Shaq and Darrion are Oakleaf built.. they are like the beaten dead horse .. they are gonna give their all .. if they are on the sideline hurt ... they are hurt.. you can give them a workout to complete in the wgt room...you can walk away.. they are gonna do every excercise every rep.. I want Darrion and Mike to compete both going all out... I love them both want nothing more than to see them reach the sky... Zach love him too... been knowing him since he was going into his JR year.. he is a straight up warrior... if Shaq, Owens, or Mike knocked somebody out on the field they would feel good and bad at the same time... Zach would be like I wish i could have got to him sooner... but like someone said this is a good problem to have

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Gordinier getting a lot of unearned respect and benefit of doubt. I don't recall ever seeing him make an in game tackle. His name is being mentioned alongside Owens when Owens actually has played at a servicable level. A healthy Owens last season would have been a serious threat to breaking up the Bermuda Triangle, but would a healthy Gordinier have been? And if yes, then based off of what? He was getting first team reps before his injury because Young was dismissed and Grace was suspended. Mike Smith is definitely ahead of him at MLB. It's also being assumed that Jamie will recover from his ACL sooner and more effectively than Owens has. If Owens is just approaching 100% 2 years removed from surgery, then why would believe that Jamie's recovery and ability to contribute will be any different.

Gordinier getting a lot of unearned respect and benefit of doubt. I don't recall ever seeing him make an in game tackle. His name is being mentioned alongside Owens when Owens actually has played at a servicable level. A healthy Owens last season would have been a serious threat to breaking up the Bermuda Triangle, but would a healthy Gordinier have been? And if yes, then based off of what? He was getting first team reps before his injury because Young was dismissed and Grace was suspended. Mike Smith is definitely ahead of him at MLB. It's also being assumed that Jamie will recover from his ACL sooner and more effectively than Owens has. If Owens is just approaching 100% 2 years removed from surgery, then why would believe that Jamie's recovery and ability to contribute will be any different.

+1000 Jamie Gordinier is severely overrated here. Didn't see anything from him. I think Wilder will eventually pass him at WLB and Jennings will pass him at MLB.

That's not exactly what Diaz said... he said this: "We like the way he performed in our offseason program. We felt like he was sort of one of the top three linebackers in terms of effort and technique in our mat drill program."

Effort and technique in mat drills probably isn't the best predictor of in-game play.
Spencer Whipple won the offseason drills a couple years ago and was number one on the depth chart for 2 snaps in fall practice.

Spencer Whipple has to be the greatest name ever!

Advertisement
Back