Owens Possibly Starting?

Advertisement
You can tell Diaz loves Pinkney and stays on him to make him great. I've mentioned I saw Pinkney do things I hadn't seen around UM since Nate Webster and Mike Barrow. He is a f'in natural.

Best natural lb i ever saw was ray lewis as a frosh at miami. Of all the guys since, spence had the best natural lb instincts, imo. And love me some barrow and webster. But sounds like a separate discussion.
Ray's on another level altogether, I think. When I reference Pinkney and Barrow, it's because of slipping and covering multiple gaps just with instinct.
I actually knew you would say that lol.

Spence and Vilma also had great instinctive noses for the ball.

Barrow was one of my favorite Cane players ever, so can't argue there.

Not necessarily...... Owens probably would have been a starter Pickney's freshman year had he not had the leg injury. Owens has upped his game. It will be a battle. Just because you started the previous year is no guarantee you start the next year (ala Joe Yearby). Competition will determine who starts. Both will play. What is clear is that the coaching staff wants a 1a and 1b playing at a high level at all positions on the 2 deep chart.

That is how you build a championship team.

All this talk about competition and depth should be making everyone happy around here not bicker about who will start and who will be on the bench.

Hearing all these positive things about Owens and Smith has me stoked along with knowing how good the Trio of Sophomores looked last year.

Not necessarily...... Owens probably would have been a starter Pickney's freshman year had he not had the leg injury. Owens has upped his game. It will be a battle. Just because you started the previous year is no guarantee you start the next year (ala Joe Yearby). Competition will determine who starts. Both will play. What is clear is that the coaching staff wants a 1a and 1b playing at a high level at all positions on the 2 deep chart.

That is how you build a championship team.
what a joke

Slow Owens ain't starting over 56...56 is the best LB on the team by far !

56 is A whole different breed

Advertisement
I have a different appreciation for just how good Nate Webster was watching film now in my 30's than I did watching him in the 90's as a teen. Dude was a str8 beast.

Owens flashed as a freshman despite a horrid defensive system and coaching.
Had Nate been allowed to play in 2000, Tuiasosopo wouldn't have run for a thousand yards on our D. And we'd have another national title.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That practice stuff and mat drills and swinging dumbbells is all fine and dandy. But give me the dog who kills the other team on the football field.
Precisely...

Pinck had a phenomenal Freshman year, I got nothing against Owens, but his entire career hasn't looked half as good as Pinckney's TF season.

His speed, his natural instincts, his incredible tackling ability, his Pass coverage & even playing injured last year...

The kid is a true warrior & has future NFL ability, people I guess just need their memories refreshed.

Your basically describing what Owens looked like as a TF.

LOL. You guys were watching some other dude named Owens if you thought he played well as a freshmans.

Pre injury he showed exactly what the three freshmen shown. He was explosive, athletic and could be used in different ways. Obviously he isn't the same anymore but two years removed from his knee injury it would be nice to see that type of player again.

Pre-injury he showed nothing that the 3 freshmans from last year showed. He showed he's a big reasonably fast guy who lacks playmaking ability on the field. I hope he gets better and flips the switch and starts using those good measurables on the field.

Pinckney is better than Owens & I'm not gonna argue with y'all over it.

Get back to me in September/October & let's revisit the topic then.

I like Owens a lot but there's no debate , not even an argument. Pink was the most complete lb of the crew last year. Honestly I think mccloud has the most upside.
I beg to differ... Shaq was matched with Cook for most of the game .. his assignment... except the 80 yd haul when Shaq blitzed and Pink was on Cook

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Owens is a bad man, you guys are living in a fantasy world. Make Pickney step up. No cookies on this team.

Advertisement
Pinckney is better than Owens & I'm not gonna argue with y'all over it.

Get back to me in September/October & let's revisit the topic then.

I like Owens a lot but there's no debate , not even an argument. Pink was the most complete lb of the crew last year. Honestly I think mccloud has the most upside.
I beg to differ... Shaq was matched with Cook for most of the game .. his assignment... except the 80 yd haul when Shaq blitzed and Pink was on Cook

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Look, In my humble opinion, I don't even think its close.....Shaq is not only the best LB out there, but one of the best they have had in years at the U. I also look at who will potentially be NFL guys. Shaq is the guy that will step right into the league and still play at a high level.
What you really want to see is a fully healthy group come summer camp. Behind the 3 starters (that will not change), there will be some awesome battles to be in the rotation. Smith is a physical guy....DO was always going to be a key guy but did not look great last year. I believe he has shed some lbs and that will be good for him and his confidence. He carried way too much weight last year coming off a major knee injury and in a totally new defense. Gordinier should be closer after major knee surgery as well (7 months ago). He will need April, May, June and July to really get the knee strong so that he can play with confidence. If he is healthy, I reallu think he can contribute.
Charles Perry looks a lot bigger since last season and then Wilder will be coming in. There is going to be some great competition.

Shaq, 56 Nightmares, and McCloud are our starters. As far as I'm concerned any positive news heard lately on Mike Smith, Owens, Gordinier and the incoming freshman is just icing on the cake.

The 5 D's of football

-Depth
-Depth
-Depth
-Depth
And.....Depth.

Advertisement
Back