Owens Possibly Starting?

I'd be happy if Owens wins back a starting role. Before his injury, he was a former high school safety coming in as a LB at 6'3, 230. Good speed and cover skills. Also good at running to the ball.

His non contact injury early in the 2015 season seemed to affect him physically of course (less speed and quickness to the ball) and mentally (less confidence). He also got up to 240.

I'm hoping he's leaned up, regained his speed, increased his confidence and is ready to go. Could be an impact player this year. Wishing him the best.

Advertisement
depth chart prediction:

SLB McCloud -- Owings -- McCray -- Wilder

MLB Shaq -- Smith -- Jennings

WLB Pinckney -- Perry -- Gordinier -- Steed

Wilder and Steed RS
Steed will most likely redshirt, Wilder I highly doubt... He'll be playing ST's right away.

depth chart prediction:

Wilder and Steed RS

I think it will end up like this:

WLB - Pinckney, Owens, Wilder
MLB - Shaq, Smith, Jennings
SLB - McCloud, Perry

Gordinier not fully recovered from injury. Steed redshirted due to injury. McCray will never play.

depth chart prediction:

Wilder and Steed RS

I think it will end up like this:

WLB - Pinckney, Owens, Wilder
MLB - Shaq, Smith, Jennings
SLB - McCloud, Perry

Gordinier not fully recovered from injury. Steed redshirted due to injury. McCray will never play.

Wilder would probably be a SLB with Perry at WLB and I could see Jennings eventually being the #2 MLB

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gordinier & Owens are not starters in this Defense, stop confusing yourselves people...

Shaq, Pinckney & McCloud are the 3 best LB's on the team, they will start.

Pinckney will be suspended for the 1st half of the Bethune Cookman game, therefore Owens needs the reps to get ready for that game.

It's that simple...

Advertisement
That's not exactly what Diaz said... he said this: "We like the way he performed in our offseason program. We felt like he was sort of one of the top three linebackers in terms of effort and technique in our mat drill program."

Effort and technique in mat drills probably isn't the best predictor of in-game play.
Spencer Whipple won the offseason drills a couple years ago and was number one on the depth chart for 2 snaps in fall practice.

i cant recall if that was during the shannon era or during the golden the master motivator era?

Gordinier & Owens are not starters in this Defense, stop confusing yourselves people...

Shaq, Pinckney & McCloud are the 3 best LB's on the team, they will start.

Pinckney will be suspended for the 1st half of the Bethune Cookman game, therefore Owens needs the reps to get ready for that game.

It's that simple...

Well yeah they aren't starters. But I think those two are clearly our best backups. And I expect Owens to get quite a bit of PT this yr.

Sam: McCloud - Owens - McCray - Steed

Mike: Shaq - Gordinier - Smith - Jennings

Will: Pinckney - Owens - Perry - Wilder

Only person I think gets a RS is Steed. And all the backups better step up on Special Teams this year.

Advertisement
My top 6 (much better depth and experience than last year): McCloud, Shaq, Pinckney, Owens, Gordonier and Jennings.

Need all to be healthy and ready to play in late August.

Owens, if he loses his confidence issue, SHOULD be fighting for a starting job at Will. Simple as that. He ain't a scrub and looked great before his injury.

Outside of that:
-Gordiner was also pushing for a starting position before he got injured, whether that was motivation or real deal, nobody here knows for sure.
-Steed should absolutely redshirt this year and not be rushed out of his injury.

Advertisement
I feel bad for Owens. His ceiling looked incredibly high after his freshman season....but he was only a fraction of his former self last year. Effort and technique will only take you so far if you don't have the speed/agility. If he gets that back, i can see him getting some quality minutes. But last year it wasn't there.....he was running with a hitch.

I remember Shaq's dad even said a healthy owens would be starting

He likes Owens because he's friends with him for years. Owens isn't anywhere near Pinckney's league as a football player. He's better in the weight room and getting off the airplane. But that's it.

Owens is a Tarzan guy since he got here. Never made that many plays on the football field in HS or here even before he got hurt.

Hopefully with Diaz coaching him at LB he'll get that bully in him and start playing like his measurables suggest he should.

That's not exactly what Diaz said... he said this: "We like the way he performed in our offseason program. We felt like he was sort of one of the top three linebackers in terms of effort and technique in our mat drill program."

Effort and technique in mat drills probably isn't the best predictor of in-game play.
Spencer Whipple won the offseason drills a couple years ago and was number one on the depth chart for 2 snaps in fall practice.

i cant recall if that was during the shannon era or during the golden the master motivator era?

That was part of the Folden motivation game.

My prediction is a bit wild but it's based off how I feel things will play out:

SLB McCloud -- Wilder -- Perry -- McCray

MLB Shaq -- Gordinier -- Smith -- Steed(RS)

WLB Pinckney -- Owens -- Gordinier -- Jennings

Advertisement
Back