Overhyped Players of the Millennium

OrdunaDrive

Freshman
Ranking the Most Overhyped College Football Players Since 2000 | Bleacher Report

This listicle has Willie Williams in the #1 spot (Bryce Brown appears as well) for obvious reasons. I'm willing to argue that a player with a rap sheet that long delivers on at least some of the hype. The sport is entertainment on the surface, and how many thousands of college players have failed to entertain as much as Willie over the years?

Advertisement
Brown had some games I watched with Philly where he looked electric, just couldn't hold onto the ball

Willie Williams showed flashes of greatness in terms of athleticism and instincts.

But that was one guy who couldnt get out of his own way.

Bryce Brown was a headcase. Him not coming here turned out to be a positive, not a negative.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Derrick Harvey & Dante Folwer Jr come to mind...

Also, I actually like the fact they can admit that guys like Hackenberg & Mustain were incredibly overhyped, especially Hack.

All I ever heard was that he was the 2nd coming of Andrew Luck & John Elway.

He had a great Freshman season because O'Brien's Offense hid his inefficiencies, plus he had NFL caliber playmakers surrounding him like Allen Robinson & Jesse James.

Once those guys went to the draft, Hack was forced to show he could make things happen without the clutch of O'Brien & he had one of the worst Sophomore seasons I've ever seen in College Football.

Then the excuses started, it was Franklins fault, bad scheme, no help, no OL, etc.. But as soon as he leaves, Pedo St has one of their best seasons without him.

Turns out, it wasn't everybody else's fault that he held onto the ball too long & threw awful INT's because he simply couldn't read Defenses.

Advertisement
Isn't Willie training athletes here in south Florida? Prob brought up that 15 year stint since we're such an easy target for that crap. But from his IG he seems to be doing pretty good for himself helping younger players get better.

Heaps at least was on Seattle's practice squad yesterday. I never had heard of him before he was transferring to Miami. Who knows how he ever was a parade all american. Willie Williams was really hyped up; however, he was really good when he wasnt breaking the law

Advertisement
"future NFL standouts ...and Ted Ginn Jr."

What?!? The guy has had a 10 year career of mediocrity. Only caught double digit TDs once in his career (the bare minimum for the stat, 10 in 2015) has a total of 25 total receiving TD's for his career and only 7 return TDs (Hester, in comparision, had 17 TDs from the line of scrimage and NINETEEN return TDs!) Ginn is servicible at best...Writer must be a Suckeye, considering he totally overlooked 5 Star Braxton Miller, who had two good seasons and then bailed on the QB position.

Advertisement
Yes, Miami. Luke have their own top ten list of 5 star busts and so could Florida and FSU. There are so many factors that go into these 5 star kids.

**** yall only mentioning Canes? Lol

Yeah, we've had our fair share of overhyped players, but nowhere near programs like USC, UF & Notre Dame.

Advertisement
If he doesn't show out at Pitt this year, Max Browne may be a worthy candidate

The first person that I thought of was Taylor Mays. Complete blasphemy by the media when they mentioned him in the same breath as Sean Taylor.

Advertisement
Back