Overhyped Players of the Millennium

Noel Devine, Robert Marve, James Wilder jr, Matt Patchan, Kelvin Taylor, EJ Manuel, Greg Reid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noel Devine had 5,000+ rushing/receiving yards at WVU. He was a stud in college.

EJ Manuel wasn't great and often fell short, but he had a strong college career (should never have been a first round pick). Give me EJ over Kyle Wright any day.

Greg Reid had a successful career at FSU.

There are way bigger busts/overhyped players than those

Advertisement
Currently a bust Jordan Cronkite lol. Wasn't he a 4 star? Man we lucked out with Walton. Remember when we had Walton, Scarlett and Cronkite committed at one time? Walton definitely proved to be the best back by far! Scarlett doesn't have the numbers Walton has so far in their college careers. Cronkite transferred to S. Florida

I wasn't really old enough to know what kinda hype surrounded Ryan Moore, but I had a coach in high school that came from south Florida and he said that Ryan Moore was hyped as the next big thing but never really panned out to be what they expected him to be. Anybody shed some light on that?

Don't know exactly. Didn't he have a good freshman year then tailed off after that? What was the name of that WR from Louisiana? Akeem Jolla? Was he a five star, too? I think we had another four or five star WR from Oklahoma who did nothing. That was about the same time. Then there were Alan Hall and Chris Walsh.

Jeff luc, Nigel Carr, Ermon Lane, nukeese richardson, the northwest crew,

You mean the Miami Northwestern group that all came in one year? I think Sean Spence was in that group and the only one who was really a player. The rest, my God, what a disappointment: Forston, Streeter, Aldarius Johnson....

Advertisement
Didn't we recruit a Miami area RB who was four or five star? Ended up third string...Jones something? Then there was that other RB we didn't take who was supposed to be even better, Bobby something. I can't remember names anymore.

The Bobby kid had academic or other problems, I think. Ended up at NC State then left.

Another kid who was somewhat hyped, especially by Max Emfinger, was Ellery Roberts. I was talking to Max during Roberts' freshman year and lamented that we had no quality at RB. He said, "yes you do, you got Ellery Roberts." I said, "No, he's a bust." I knew from talking to some friends that he was a disappointment in fall practice. They knew he couldn't play for us. He transferred to Stanford, and that was when Stanford did not have the quality they've had more recently. That same class we got another RB from New Jersey who ended up transferring to Rutgers, and we had a complete unknown named Steve McGuire who ended up FSU's nightmare two seasons in a row.

Another bigtime bust was Bryan Fortay. Didn't someone mention him? Or am I going back too far in time.

EDIT: Oops, sorry. Just went back to OP and realized the time frame was since 2000. Just goes to show--I've been following recruiting so long that I've seen so many elite recruits either bust or turn out ordinary, and some unknown kids turn out to be superstars that I still don't get too excited over stars and rankings. It's harder to fool or be under the radar of the recruiting services now, because there is so much scrutiny, so much in resources to covering this stuff, and so many camps, etc., that there are fewer sleepers and fewer that are overrated. Still, it happens.

Last edited:
EJ Manuel was all world comin in

was he?

Taureen Charles

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

good pick, year of the bull

jeff luc, stiff *** lb

You could see that in his HS film. He was built like a gorilla, and hit like one, but he was not light on his feet and didn't have that really quick movement you want in a LB. You could see that in that LB FSU got from Southridge several decades ago, that kid who was so highly touted but became ordinary at FSU. At my age, it's hard to remember names.

Noel Devine, Robert Marve, James Wilder jr, Matt Patchan, Kelvin Taylor, EJ Manuel, Greg Reid

Noel Devine had 5,000+ rushing/receiving yards at WVU. He was a stud in college.

EJ Manuel wasn't great and often fell short, but he had a strong college career (should never have been a first round pick). Give me EJ over Kyle Wright any day.

Greg Reid had a successful career at FSU.

There are way bigger busts/overhyped players than those

Devin and Manuel did not live up to the hype the had coming out of hs imo.

And Reid was on his way to having a successful career until he was kicked out. He was only their two years.

I wasn't really old enough to know what kinda hype surrounded Ryan Moore, but I had a coach in high school that came from south Florida and he said that Ryan Moore was hyped as the next big thing but never really panned out to be what they expected him to be. Anybody shed some light on that?

Don't know exactly. Didn't he have a good freshman year then tailed off after that? What was the name of that WR from Louisiana? Akeem Jolla? Was he a five star, too? I think we had another four or five star WR from Oklahoma who did nothing. That was about the same time. Then there were Alan Hall and Chris Walsh.
Don't remember a WR from OK. Curtis Justice? He was a TE

Last edited:
Advertisement
Jeff luc, Nigel Carr, Ermon Lane, nukeese richardson, the northwest crew,

You mean the Miami Northwestern group that all came in one year? I think Sean Spence was in that group and the only one who was really a player. The rest, my God, what a disappointment: Forston, Streeter, Aldarius Johnson....
Spence, Brandon Washington and Streeter had solid careers here. BW and TS left a year too early though.

Forston, Ben Jones and AJ all busted. Although did BJ have a decent senior year? Was Kendall Thompkins part of that crew as well? Can't call him a bust as he wasn't highly rated.

Didn't we recruit a Miami area RB who was four or five star? Ended up third string...Jones something? Then there was that other RB we didn't take who was supposed to be even better, Bobby something. I can't remember names anymore.

The Bobby kid had academic or other problems, I think. Ended up at NC State then left.

Another kid who was somewhat hyped, especially by Max Emfinger, was Ellery Roberts. I was talking to Max during Roberts' freshman year and lamented that we had no quality at RB. He said, "yes you do, you got Ellery Roberts." I said, "No, he's a bust." I knew from talking to some friends that he was a disappointment in fall practice. They knew he couldn't play for us. He transferred to Stanford, and that was when Stanford did not have the quality they've had more recently. That same class we got another RB from New Jersey who ended up transferring to Rutgers, and we had a complete unknown named Steve McGuire who ended up FSU's nightmare two seasons in a row.

Another bigtime bust was Bryan Fortay. Didn't someone mention him? Or am I going back too far in time.

EDIT: Oops, sorry. Just went back to OP and realized the time frame was since 2000. Just goes to show--I've been following recruiting so long that I've seen so many elite recruits either bust or turn out ordinary, and some unknown kids turn out to be superstars that I still don't get too excited over stars and rankings. It's harder to fool or be under the radar of the recruiting services now, because there is so much scrutiny, so much in resources to covering this stuff, and so many camps, etc., that there are fewer sleepers and fewer that are overrated. Still, it happens.
Charlie Jones and Bobby Washington. Both busts. I think we had another top 20 rb in that class who also busted. Derron Thomas

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back