Overall Talent

Advertisement
In terms of potential we have the most we've had in a long time IMO.

We got a LOT of guys with All-ACC potential/talent. I do think we need more CBs and another OL.

Hopefully, and I do mean hopefully, Richt wasn't taking out of his *** when he said the youngsters on the O-line could be dominant.

If you want to go strictly by recruiting stars, this is the first time Miami's had a blue chip ratio (4 or 5 stars) of over 50% since 2009.
I think the blue chip ratios an excellent bench mark on overall talent. with changes in staff and new S&C guy
think we will see "player development" as well

Speaking of talent, I wish I could find an ESPN article about our players during Golden's tenure. I remember reading that an anonymous NFL position coach said we had the most talented players with the least coaching

Where are you getting this data? Not doubting you, just want to read it.
I actually read it in a thread here. A poster made a whole chart with star breakdowns of the entire roster season by season for the last 10 years. I don't remember the title of the thread but it was about a week ago. O thought it was really interesting.

Advertisement
Do any of you guys ever think about how much that 2014 team underachieved? There was NFL talent all over that roster and we went 6-7. Duke, Dorsett, Chick, Denzel, Artie, Stacey, Deon, Flowers, Kamalu, Corn, Feliciano just to name a few and we went 6-7!!! We had the same amount of players drafted in 2015 as Bama, seriously blows my mind how much that team under performed.
Yea that was dang near criminal how bad that team was mismanaged from top to bottom by fatso and his clowns. I can’t say we were a legitimate title contender since we were starting a true freshman Qb but should have atleast still won the cr@p coastal. Smh only team with that much talented wasted was the 2010 team.

Some real talent for sure, 2 deep has certainly improved in terms of quality talent especially behind the starters

This is the most talent on paper since 05 or 10. The 18 class was a monster and now so would the 17 class with the addition of Martell, Bolden and Phillips
Randy butchered that year in 2010, god he sucked! I can still picture his stupid dear in the headlights look on the sidelines. Smh that team talent wise should have been in the ACC title game at the bare minimum and with that momentum locked up bridgewater/cooper. And then were talking national title contenders. F Randy!

Advertisement
With the possible monster additions of Phillips and Hill, it got me thinking.

When was the last time we had a team this talented?

During the Golden years we had a lot of NFL talent that was under-utilized but nothing that screams more stacked than we will be under Manny for the first year or two
We are getting waaaaaaaaaay ahead of ourselves at this point. Guys who retired for injury (phillips) or left for other reasons (hill) may or may not work out. Guys who transfer from smaller programs (Delaney, e.g.) sometimes struggle with the change. How they were ranked in HS is irrelevant at this point. Willis took 3 years in our program to make a difference.

What we know about our team is that we have huge issues in terms of depth and ability at QB and OL. We have added a bit to WR and DL and S, which helps. Some transfers underwhelm, some perform as hoped.

We should talk about talent when we’ve recruited it and developed it. Castoffs who have never played together, new staff, no prove qb, I’m in wait amd see mode.

Randy butchered that year in 2010, god he sucked! I can still picture his stupid dear in the headlights look on the sidelines. Smh that team talent wise should have been in the ACC title game at the bare minimum and with that momentum locked up bridgewater/cooper. And then were talking national title contenders. F Randy!
Agreed that would have been such a huge season for momentum, if we didn’t **** the bed. The FSU game was a total disaster from the recruiting coordinator dropping the ball with the stadium experience to us getting our *** beat at home, in front of a loaded 2010 class. In the end it didn’t matter as we got hit with the Shapiro BS a year later.

We are getting waaaaaaaaaay ahead of ourselves at this point. Guys who retired for injury (phillips) or left for other reasons (hill) may or may not work out. Guys who transfer from smaller programs (Delaney, e.g.) sometimes struggle with the change. How they were ranked in HS is irrelevant at this point. Willis took 3 years in our program to make a difference.

What we know about our team is that we have huge issues in terms of depth and ability at QB and OL. We have added a bit to WR and DL and S, which helps. Some transfers underwhelm, some perform as hoped.

We should talk about talent when we’ve recruited it and developed it. Castoffs who have never played together, new staff, no prove qb, I’m in wait amd see mode.
I'm also talking about returning players.. richt elevated our talent while he was here and Diaz has filled the big holes we had..

Even if you leave hill and Phillips off its still a valid question

This is our siren song. We are more talented than......

We'll see, but we're getting a lot of new faces and IMHO, that's fun.

Advertisement
I'm also talking about returning players.. richt elevated our talent while he was here and Diaz has filled the big holes we had..

Even if you leave hill and Phillips off its still a valid question
Not sure richt elevated the talent. That’s far from clear imo.

Putting aside any people manny brings in, OL is no better than when Richt got here. Still a train wreck. QB is worse. WR, probably a push. Richt inherited Coley and Berrios. More depth and potential top to bottom today, but we do not have two guys better than Coley and Berrios at this time. TE we should hope it’s even. Richt inherited Njoku and Herndon. RB, probably a push, Richt inherited Walton, Yearby and Gus.

Richt inherited more DB talent than he left Manny with. Rayshawn, Carter, Jaquan, Redwine + Elder, Howard, M. Jackson. All the Lbs were gifted by Golden on his way out the door, along with J. Jackson at DE. Willis was here. Thomas, Harris. RJ. Norton. Badgley and Vogel were better than what have now at P/K.

*shrugs*

Look at the NFL. We have had talent, just haven't developed it to its potential.

Advertisement
Yeah a lot of talent. Now let's see if we can actually do the most simple thing & win the coastal or continue the new tradition of losing to teams we shouldn't be losing to.

With the possible monster additions of Phillips and Hill, it got me thinking.

When was the last time we had a team this talented?

During the Golden years we had a lot of NFL talent that was under-utilized but nothing that screams more stacked than we will be under Manny for the first year or two

We have made improvements, the portal has helped us tremendously. We are not quite there yet, but much better than we were after the bowl blowout. I cant help but be excited about this year.

Shannon wasted a lot of talent that year but the guy hired after him became the worst coach in hurricane history. He looked dumb as he'll on the sideline but the tie and the pocket protector fooled a lot of folks.

Advertisement
Back