Overall Talent

It was all bad a month ago. A new HC, OC, a real QB and JT4 off parole changed the game.
And a big time safety immediately filling a void.. a big time OL in Kennedy, KJ Osborn fills a need, JT back, ASA Martin to help RB depth with Homer gone. Martell for obvious reasons

Add in Hill and Phillips and UCLA DT and everything on paper outside of DT taking a slight dip is on par or better than the last two years with major upgrade at QB

Advertisement
Golden had nfl talent but it was spotty across the board at best... we get those two we have a very complete roster.

Golden had nfl talent but it was spotty across the board at best... we get those two we have a very complete roster.
screenshot20160905173426.png

OP this past seasons team was supposed to be “stacked” the defense with most returning starters. The offense with another year of experience. but 7-6 wtf lord help us.

At best our QBs are unknown, Our OL has been soft for years, JT coming back is huge but beyond him lots of question marks, just lost our best RB and best up & coming RB had knee surgery. lost our best De, lost our Best DT, lost two starting safeties

I could not be happier on what has happened in the past month BUTs lets take it a little slower ....... this past years team was more talented then next year's team

Advertisement
All of us know that. None of them has done anything yet either. They need to earn respect and W's. No more paper champions.

Donaldson has done something at guard. If he was transferring from FSU, wed be thrilled about getting the freshman all american. Scaffie looked pretty good for a freshman. We have to wait and see on the others. The fact that they were offered by everybody is usually a good indicator that they are talented. Time will tell. I feel very confident saying our o line will make a big jump next season.

Have to have the right coaches to turn “paper champions” to on field success.

The '14 team and, to a lesser extent the '12 team had many who ended up on NFL rosters. The drop off to the 2nd string was bigly, but those teams were yuge underachievers in terms of record.

This stuff is great but I am not a fan of adjustments. Patchwork via transfers will not succeed year after year. We need to win the traditional recruiting cycles to the point of top 5 several years in a row.

Every other version lends itself to offseason hype but is not foundational, and is likely to disappoint compared to programs that are methodically winning the traditional recruiting.

Advertisement
We have the talent to win right now. OL is not the best but there is enough talent. The last two coaches did okay in building up the talent.

Do any of you guys ever think about how much that 2014 team underachieved? There was NFL talent all over that roster and we went 6-7. Duke, Dorsett, Chick, Denzel, Artie, Stacey, Deon, Flowers, Kamalu, Corn, Feliciano just to name a few and we went 6-7!!! We had the same amount of players drafted in 2015 as Bama, seriously blows my mind how much that team under performed.

One of those teams that should have won the ACC and played in a meaningful NY6 bowl game...

Golden and Dorito are still due to be paraded before hard rock stadium and shot for that season

Advertisement
At best our QBs are unknown, Our OL has been soft for years, JT coming back is huge but beyond him lots of question marks, just lost our best RB and best up & coming RB had knee surgery. lost our best De, lost our Best DT, lost two starting safeties

I could not be happier on what has happened in the past month BUTs lets take it a little slower ....... this past years team was more talented then next year's team
We had major deficiencies on the team last year (particularly at QB, OL, punting, and reliable WR). Manny is rapidly addressing all of the areas of need (would still like to see more at OL and DT though -- even with the UCLA DT). I'm highly confident that next year's team will be more complete. Further, more of our elite talent will play a much more prominent role next year (Lingard, Davis, Brevin, Mallory, Jarren, Hightower, Pope & many others). Combine that with a highly competent OC/QB coach (major upgrade there), next year's team should perform at a much higher level on Offense. On Defense, if you look at the NCAA's stats for 2018 it will be tough to beat some of those (#1 in pass defense, very high in TFLs and Total Defense) but the Defense could be Top 5-10 again, if we really shore up the DT spot with some mature DTs that can really support Nesta, Bethel & Ford and be stout against physical OL/running games.

Last year, punting was atrocious at its worst and below average at best which killed us in the field position game (which is a huge determinant of the outcome of games).

Rosier had a flat out poor year last year (he played with more confidence & energy in 2017). We were a mess at QB last year. Even N'Kosi didn't perform that well as: (i) he needs to mature; (ii) he had off field issues that were a distraction; (iii) he needs to spend more time watching film & perfecting his craft; (iv) the OL play didn't help (neither did having extremely talented but young TE who will block even better as they gain weight); and (v) the WR really underpeformed.

Other than JT4, our most talented players on Offense didn't have a prominent role last year or were young. Lingard & Davis will be an upgrade. Lingard is special. Not knocking our RBs from last year (they worked hard & are great Canes) but Lingard & Davis will be better.

There is no doubt Richt left UM with the most talent they had since mid 2000's as Folden and Blandy couldn't evaluate to save their lives. At least Richt could . I mean he built that beast of a UGA team 2 years ago BUT Diaz has taken our talent level to an early 2000's level ( not mid 2000's) already and that will continue with winning.

Advertisement
There is no doubt Richt left UM with the most talent they had since mid 2000's as Folden and Blandy couldn't evaluate to save their lives. At least Richt could . I mean he built that beast of a UGA team 2 years ago BUT Diaz has taken our talent level to an early 2000's level ( not mid 2000's) already and that will continue with winning.
Hopefully you are not comparing our current talent to that of 2000-2003 which would be the early 2000s. It is not even close.

We had major deficiencies on the team last year (particularly at QB, OL, punting, and reliable WR). Manny is rapidly addressing all of the areas of need (would still like to see more at OL and DT though -- even with the UCLA DT). I'm highly confident that next year's team will be more complete. Further, more of our elite talent will play a much more prominent role next year (Lingard, Davis, Brevin, Mallory, Jarren, Hightower, Pope & many others). Combine that with a highly competent OC/QB coach (major upgrade there), next year's team should perform at a much higher level on Offense. On Defense, if you look at the NCAA's stats for 2018 it will be tough to beat some of those (#1 in pass defense, very high in TFLs and Total Defense) but the Defense could be Top 5-10 again, if we really shore up the DT spot with some mature DTs that can really support Nesta, Bethel & Ford and be stout against physical OL/running games.

Last year, punting was atrocious at its worst and below average at best which killed us in the field position game (which is a huge determinant of the outcome of games).

Rosier had a flat out poor year last year (he played with more confidence & energy in 2017). We were a mess at QB last year. Even N'Kosi didn't perform that well as: (i) he needs to mature; (ii) he had off field issues that were a distraction; (iii) he needs to spend more time watching film & perfecting his craft; (iv) the OL play didn't help (neither did having extremely talented but young TE who will block even better as they gain weight); and (v) the WR really underpeformed.

Other than JT4, our most talented players on Offense didn't have a prominent role last year or were young. Lingard & Davis will be an upgrade. Lingard is special. Not knocking our RBs from last year (they worked hard & are great Canes) but Lingard & Davis will be better.

Good point on Punting and I agree, we have to better at QB with a new OC and approach

However as I look at you well crafted email the majority of the guys you are counting on are True Soph's when the guys we lost were Juniors and Seniors..... that normally doesnt equate to Talent being better year over year
....hope you are right and I am wrong however historically speaking on talent alone we take a step back

The 2018 class really bumped up the overall talent level. We need this strong transfer season to cover for the huge dip in talent from the '18 class to the '19 class

Do any of you guys ever think about how much that 2014 team underachieved? There was NFL talent all over that roster and we went 6-7. Duke, Dorsett, Chick, Denzel, Artie, Stacey, Deon, Flowers, Kamalu, Corn, Feliciano just to name a few and we went 6-7!!! We had the same amount of players drafted in 2015 as Bama, seriously blows my mind how much that team under performed.

NFL Teams figured out they can go to UM for a bargain

Advertisement
Back