Overall Impressions of the team right now

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Quarterbacks
Morris should and will be the starter. Williams is a serviceable back-up, but Morris is ready to take the next step. He has been in this offense for more than a year and a half now and obviously has the physical tools to be special. He should be solid at the very least. As we saw last year, Fisch's offense is designed to take a lot of the risky downfield throws out of the QBs hands. Hopefully the playbook is open up a little more this season because Morris can make a lot of the throws that Jacory couldn't. The two freshmen have struggled, which is disappointing, but nobody expected them to be ready this year.

Running Backs
Four running backs will play this year. Mike James expects to get the majority of the carries, with Duke Johnson getting major touches as well. Eduardo Clements should have a role, and he might be the most well-rounded of the backs right now. He is a great option as a 3rd down back. The wild card here is Dallas Crawford. I've been very surprised with him I'm practice. After working as a slot man in the spring, he has been with the running backs in fall practice. He could get a good amount of touches and will be used similarly to Duke. This group should be solid, not spectacular as a whole.

Wide Receivers
This was a unit that I was extremely concerned about after spring practic, but after the first couple weeks of fall, I'm confident this will be a very good group that I think will be better than last year's as a whole. We know what Hurns will do, but Rashawn Scott and Phillip Dorsett have taken huge steps. Scott is built well physically and has strong hands.mhe will be a weapon in the short to intermediate passing game. Dorsett will be the one that gives defenses the most trouble. He is too quick and fast for almost any corner, and he has bulked up a lot , which should help him in a major way. As far as the freshmen, Malcolm Lewis honestly does not have any flaws in his game. He is extremely polished as a freshman already. Robert Lockhart has been impressive, making acrobatic catches in practice and making defenders miss after the catch. The wild card here is Herb Waters. It may be tough for him to get on the field right away, but he came in bigger than expected and might have a role in the return game. Carter and Jones need redshirts.

Offensive Line
The headline is camp so far has been the Seantrel Henderson saga. He should be ready to fully practice at some point within the next week, but will need to battle to get his starting spot back from freshman Ereck Flowers, who is so much more advanced than the normal freshman lineman. The rest of the line is shaping up as Bunche-Feliciano-McDermott-Linder-Flowers. I like what I've seen from Malcolm Bunche, he seems ready to take the next step. This unit could be the strength of the team. Danny Isidora and Taylor Gadbois would benefit from redshirts.

Defensive Line
Depth at DE might be an issue, but the DT situation is looking better than I expected. Darius Smith should be solid like last year, Olsen Pierre has made major gains in the weight room, and Luther Robinson has made major strides. DeQuan Ivery has turned heads and could have a role in the goal line sets. At DE, Chickillo and Green have pretty much locked up the starting spots. Kelvin Cain hasn't been overly impressive in practice, but he s expected to be one of the back-ups and have a pass-rushing role. Freshmen Dwayne Hoilett and Tyriq McCord could also have puss-rushing opportunities. Jake O'Donnell and Jacoby Briscoe should redshirt, but I'm concerned an injury or two might thrust them into playing time.

Linebackers
I was the biggest Sean Spence fan there was, but Denzel Perryman will make people forget about Spence. He has been absolutely dominant in practice, following a great freshman year. He has bulked about to about 230 without losing any speed and his instincts are top notch. I have some concerns about how Buchanon will respond this year after recovering from knee surgery and Thurston Armbrister has gained a lot of first team reps in practice. Eddie Johnson will start by at least the middle of the season, maybe earlier. His size/speed combo is deadly. Freshmen Raphael Kirby and Jawand Blue will also see the field a lot. Kirby is so far ahead of the game mentally, and Blue came in looking bigger than what most people expected he would look like by his senior year. He looks really fast and physical. These two should be monsters in special teams. Gabriel Terry ideally needs a redshirt year, but he's been seeing the field a lot. Tyrone Cornileus has a role in 3rd down coverage.

Defensive Backs
This has arguably been the most talked about group in practice due to all of the freshmen making impacts. Tracy Howard has already supplanted Brandon McGee for the starting spot alongside Ladarius Gunter, who has looked like a great find by Golden and staff. The corners will be LIGHT YEARS ahead of last season with Mike Williams, Lee Chambers, and McGee. Thomas Finnie is an ideal nickelback with his speed. He can be lined up in a variety of ways. Antonio Crawford and Vernon Davis have a good chance of seeing the field this season. Davis would benefit more from a redshirt year, but has shown incredible cover skills, as well as Crawford. At safety, the starters will be Telemaque and Rodgers. Rodgers should surprised people this season, I think he's ready. AJ Highsmith is a player who doesn't have incredible athleticism, but has a great understanding for the game. Deon Bush is ahead of Rayshawn Jenkins right now. Jenkins needs work cover-wise and needs a RS in my opinion.

Special Teams
This might be one of the top ST units in the country. Dalton Botts was the only 1st team ACC player on the team, and Jake Wieclaw is very reliable as well. The return game looks really good with Dorsett, Duke, Lewis, Waters, Crawford all in the mix.

As it is right now, my target for this team is 8 wins. A lot of fans don't realize how difficult this schedule is. There are only 2 gimme games with Duke and Bethune-Cookman. Traveling to Manhattan for Kansas State and Chicago for ND are both difficult games. The two hardest conference games, VT and FSU are at home so those should balance out. This team will show flashes of brilliance and also inexperience. They will probably win a couple games they shouldn't on paper, and lose a couple that they shouldn't. Overall, it will be fun to see a lot of these young guys develop and make plays.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Good Stuff Pete A....... I have always felt with this young team this year that if we can get past Boston College & K-State with a "W" and healthy that were all going to be happy with the years end results for the 2012 season......

Thanks, Peter, great write-up. Looking forward to seeing the young LB's this year, watching them the past few years has been frustrating.

I'm ready to see the games. No doubt there will be downs this year, but lots of ups too. Watching games in the past few years was nerve wracking. When you knew the kid had more potential but just wasn't executing. I think there are some stand-out guys and groups this year and in the years coming, we're going to be surprised more than disappointed.

Advertisement
As usual, sterling stuff Peter.

I still think we are a 6 or 7 win team. Too many freshmen having to play right away is never a recipe for success; however, unlike in years past, I'm hopeful that this team will be a better team at the end of the season then at the beginning, which will be a welcome sight around here.

In order to reach that 8, 9, or more W mark, the pass rush, OL play and Morris have to be stellar. IMO, this is a huge year in terms of finding out how who the dead weight on this staff is. My eyes are fixed on Kehoe, Williams and especially Franklin, who I've never been a fan of.

Can't wait to see Duke. Seven wins this year but it's going to be interesting.

Advertisement
Thanks, Pete!! I'm really looking forward to seeing this team compete, I think we are going to surprise lots of folks, especially if we don't get surprised, a week before the season, like we did last year. We have a staff!

Advertisement
Quarterbacks
Morris should and will be the starter. Williams is a serviceable back-up, but Morris is ready to take the next step. He has been in this offense for more than a year and a half now and obviously has the physical tools to be special. He should be solid at the very least. As we saw last year, Fisch's offense is designed to take a lot of the risky downfield throws out of the QBs hands. Hopefully the playbook is open up a little more this season because Morris can make a lot of the throws that Jacory couldn't. The two freshmen have struggled, which is disappointing, but nobody expected them to be ready this year.
I see him as a downgrade from 2011 Jacory. He has a big arm, but is not accurate and lacks touch. Plus, his biggest weapon might be his legs, which aren't used much in Fisch's offense, and even if they wanted to, with his back issues, you don't want to run him. So his best weapon cannot be used.

Running Backs
Four running backs will play this year. Mike James expects to get the majority of the carries, with Duke Johnson getting major touches as well. Eduardo Clements should have a role, and he might be the most well-rounded of the backs right now. He is a great option as a 3rd down back. The wild card here is Dallas Crawford. I've been very surprised with him I'm practice. After working as a slot man in the spring, he has been with the running backs in fall practice. He could get a good amount of touches and will be used similarly to Duke. This group should be solid, not spectacular as a whole.
It looks like a clear downgrade, though. Rooting hard for Mike.

Wide Receivers
This was a unit that I was extremely concerned about after spring practic, but after the first couple weeks of fall, I'm confident this will be a very good group that I think will be better than last year's as a whole. We know what Hurns will do, but Rashawn Scott and Phillip Dorsett have taken huge steps. Scott is built well physically and has strong hands.mhe will be a weapon in the short to intermediate passing game. Dorsett will be the one that gives defenses the most trouble. He is too quick and fast for almost any corner, and he has bulked up a lot , which should help him in a major way. As far as the freshmen, Malcolm Lewis honestly does not have any flaws in his game. He is extremely polished as a freshman already. Robert Lockhart has been impressive, making acrobatic catches in practice and making defenders miss after the catch. The wild card here is Herb Waters. It may be tough for him to get on the field right away, but he came in bigger than expected and might have a role in the return game. Carter and Jones need redshirts.
I don't think there is a chance in **** that this group comes close to the 2011 unit. None of these 2012 guys would have started over the 2011 guys.

Offensive Line
The headline is camp so far has been the Seantrel Henderson saga. He should be ready to fully practice at some point within the next week, but will need to battle to get his starting spot back from freshman Ereck Flowers, who is so much more advanced than the normal freshman lineman. The rest of the line is shaping up as Bunche-Feliciano-McDermott-Linder-Flowers. I like what I've seen from Malcolm Bunche, he seems ready to take the next step. This unit could be the strength of the team. Danny Isidora and Taylor Gadbois would benefit from redshirts.
BWash will be hard to replace, but if everything goes right this group could be even better than last year.

Defensive Line
Depth at DE might be an issue, but the DT situation is looking better than I expected. Darius Smith should be solid like last year, Olsen Pierre has made major gains in the weight room, and Luther Robinson has made major strides. DeQuan Ivery has turned heads and could have a role in the goal line sets. At DE, Chickillo and Green have pretty much locked up the starting spots. Kelvin Cain hasn't been overly impressive in practice, but he s expected to be one of the back-ups and have a pass-rushing role. Freshmen Dwayne Hoilett and Tyriq McCord could also have puss-rushing opportunities. Jake O'Donnell and Jacoby Briscoe should redshirt, but I'm concerned an injury or two might thrust them into playing time.
I am very excited to see Porter. DT looks a lot better than DE, which will be in huge trouble. The depth at DE is terrible. If Chickillo and Green are asked to play 600 snaps a piece they'll be absolutely terrible by game seven.

Linebackers
I was the biggest Sean Spence fan there was, but Denzel Perryman will make people forget about Spence. He has been absolutely dominant in practice, following a great freshman year. He has bulked about to about 230 without losing any speed and his instincts are top notch. I have some concerns about how Buchanon will respond this year after recovering from knee surgery and Thurston Armbrister has gained a lot of first team reps in practice. Eddie Johnson will start by at least the middle of the season, maybe earlier. His size/speed combo is deadly. Freshmen Raphael Kirby and Jawand Blue will also see the field a lot. Kirby is so far ahead of the game mentally, and Blue came in looking bigger than what most people expected he would look like by his senior year. He looks really fast and physical. These two should be monsters in special teams. Gabriel Terry ideally needs a redshirt year, but he's been seeing the field a lot. Tyrone Cornileus has a role in 3rd down coverage.
Perryman making us forget about Spence? Maybe in 2014. This group is a definite downgrade from 2011.

Defensive Backs
This has arguably been the most talked about group in practice due to all of the freshmen making impacts. Tracy Howard has already supplanted Brandon McGee for the starting spot alongside Ladarius Gunter, who has looked like a great find by Golden and staff. The corners will be LIGHT YEARS ahead of last season with Mike Williams, Lee Chambers, and McGee. Thomas Finnie is an ideal nickelback with his speed. He can be lined up in a variety of ways. Antonio Crawford and Vernon Davis have a good chance of seeing the field this season. Davis would benefit more from a redshirt year, but has shown incredible cover skills, as well as Crawford. At safety, the starters will be Telemaque and Rodgers. Rodgers should surprised people this season, I think he's ready. AJ Highsmith is a player who doesn't have incredible athleticism, but has a great understanding for the game. Deon Bush is ahead of Rayshawn Jenkins right now. Jenkins needs work cover-wise and needs a RS in my opinion.
Inexperienced defensive backs make mistakes. Lots of them. To try and counter this, we'll play way off the football. Tons of *****ing about our loose coverage will follow. Our safeties are nothing special.

Special Teams
This might be one of the top ST units in the country. Dalton Botts was the only 1st team ACC player on the team, and Jake Wieclaw is very reliable as well. The return game looks really good with Dorsett, Duke, Lewis, Waters, Crawford all in the mix.
Agree! Nobody is talking about this. Special teams are by far the top unit on this team.

As it is right now, my target for this team is 8 wins. A lot of fans don't realize how difficult this schedule is. There are only 2 gimme games with Duke and Bethune-Cookman. Traveling to Manhattan for Kansas State and Chicago for ND are both difficult games. The two hardest conference games, VT and FSU are at home so those should balance out. This team will show flashes of brilliance and also inexperience. They will probably win a couple games they shouldn't on paper, and lose a couple that they shouldn't. Overall, it will be fun to see a lot of these young guys develop and make plays.
I think 7-5 is a success, and 6-6 should be expected. 8 would be a tremendous season. This team has a serious lack of experienced talent and a very tough schedule.

Here are my most likely expected records (in order)
6-6
7-5
5-7
8-4
4-8
9-3

3-9 or worse or 10-2 or better would be really unexpected.

Quarterbacks
I see him as a downgrade from 2011 Jacory. He has a big arm, but is not accurate and lacks touch. Plus, his biggest weapon might be his legs, which aren't used much in Fisch's offense, and even if they wanted to, with his back issues, you don't want to run him. So his best weapon cannot be used.

Running Backs
It looks like a clear downgrade, though. Rooting hard for Mike.

Wide Receivers
I don't think there is a chance in **** that this group comes close to the 2011 unit. None of these 2012 guys would have started over the 2011 guys.

Offensive Line
BWash will be hard to replace, but if everything goes right this group could be even better than last year.

I am very excited to see Porter. DT looks a lot better than DE, which will be in huge trouble. The depth at DE is terrible. If Chickillo and Green are asked to play 600 snaps a piece they'll be absolutely terrible by game seven.

Linebackers
Perryman making us forget about Spence? Maybe in 2014. This group is a definite downgrade from 2011.

Defensive Backs
Inexperienced defensive backs make mistakes. Lots of them. To try and counter this, we'll play way off the football. Tons of ****ing about our loose coverage will follow. Our safeties are nothing special.

Special Teams
Agree! Nobody is talking about this. Special teams are by far the top unit on this team.

I think 7-5 is a success, and 6-6 should be expected. 8 would be a tremendous season. This team has a serious lack of experienced talent and a very tough schedule.

Here are my most likely expected records (in order)
6-6
7-5
5-7
8-4
4-8
9-3

3-9 or worse or 10-2 or better would be really unexpected.

How can you be so definitive about kids we have not seen play. Morris could very well be better than Jacory. 2nd year in the offense and he is not a confidence rebuild. He has the tools to exceed Jacory. It really is all about coaching and intangibles and we don't know how he will respond. No way to know if it will be a downgrade.

As a group, the wrs could exceed last years group. Streeter was strong, but dorsett could match him. Who saw streeter having that year before the season. Same with hank the year before. Benjamin will be missed but really did not have that big of a season. Hurns year 3 better than hurns year 2. Outside of street and Benjamin who did we lose that will be missed?

I could go on, but u get my point. This year is too hard to handicap. What impact will u tough have? How could our corners this year not be better? And so on......

Advertisement
Back