Overall Impressions of the team right now

Since current recruits entered middle school (2006), we have lost 6, 7, 6, 4, 6 and 6 games. Those of you labeling anything other than Bethune and Duke as automatic wins are not paying attention. This is probably the worst Miami team in more than a decade. The losses are enormous and there is minimal experienced talent.

Advertisement
Excellent write up Peter. I'm going to enjoy this season and watch these guys grow. 8-4 looks legit as long as the defense can gel and get better every game; otherwise all bets are off.

wow....I agree on the records that we might have....but to say LB crew and WR are downgraded as well as RB hmmmm.......

DP is better than spence now....

Lamar was GREAT....but we have DEPTH NOW..last year you had lamar and EC with James limping all season.....DUKE IS NO LAMAR...or is HE...

I dont think our RBs will suffer at all. Duke replaces Lamar's explosiveness - besides his speed, what did Lamar bring that was so irreplaceable? Power? Toughness? :ibisroflmao:. James and Clements are back. Crawford is available, he was redshirted last year.

Advertisement
Excellent write up. I completely agree with the schedule comment. Not sure why so many of our fans seem to be characterizing it as soft but you are absolutely correct in pointing out that there are only two true "gimme's".

Since current recruits entered middle school (2006), we have lost 6, 7, 6, 4, 6 and 6 games. Those of you labeling anything other than Bethune and Duke as automatic wins are not paying attention. This is probably the worst Miami team in more than a decade. The losses are enormous and there is minimal experienced talent.

You say these things as if we've only won two games the last 4 years.... you do know that yeah we lost 6 games last year, but we also won 6 games as well. How can anyone not list Miami vs GaTech, at the least, an automatic win is beyond me.

How is this the worst Miami team in more than a decade??? IMO the 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 team was worse than this one. Last year Miami had to deal with Shapiro gate, injuries, and Al Golden still trying to get this team on board with his philosophy's as a Head Coach.... Now everybody has bought in to the system, and this team is in better shape, now, than Larry Coker's last two years and Shannon's entire HC career.

You say are losses are "enormous" and there is minimal experienced talent left....

Lets take a look:

1. Lamar Miller - He was an inconsistent and incomplete Running Back when he left Miami.

- Eduardo Clements and Mike James are Experienced talent that can make up for the production of Lamar Miller.

2. Brandon Washington - Although he could've have been one of the best Guards.... He was playing out of position the whole year and really was the weakest link on our O-line.

- Our guards like Brandon Linder, Feliciano, and Jermaine Johnson, are all experienced and talented enough to make up for his loss.

3. Jacory Harris - Was very good his last year, but still made poor decisions mainly not choosing to run the ball more often.

- Stephen Morris - An Experienced QB that has more talent than Jacory, and has two years under the system already. Unlike Jacory, he won't have to deal with learning a new offense every year.

4. Tommy Streeter - Honestly his loss was more problematic for our team than anybody else who went pro. His natural talent is something we don't have currently but his production can be matched by the WR's that are still here.

- Allen Hurns and Phillip Dorsett both bring something different to the wide receiver position.... I don't think that either of these two can do what Streeter did last year but they can at least match his production collectively.

- Also I expect Asante Cleveland and Clive Waliford to help make up for his loss by being a consistent threat at the TE position, which was missing last year.

5. Olivier Vernon - A freak athlete at the D-end position, but he was really an underachiever. It didn't seem like he was fully invested to the team and he just wanted to hurry up and go the NFL.

- Shayon can definitely put up the same numbers Vernon did for us last year..... if he can stay healthy I think he can do even better than that.

6. Sean Spence - The Best for last..... he will be missed. He was a one man show and I just wished he had a chance to really play with Denzel b/c they would've been a special duo together.

- But two things spence never did was bench 400lbs and run a 4.5 forty and that is something that Denzel Perryman brings to the table. I am ALL IN on the DP bandwagon and I think our linebacker unit will not miss a beat b/c of him on the field.

I see all of this as being more "realistic" than "optimistic." If we expect our freshman class to be the guys that will bring this team back, than I guess you all wont start back watching Miami football until 2016. The older guys are talented enough to get us over the hump to the ACC title, so that the freshman class can take us, from that point, on to the National Title.

^ I hate Georgia Tech as much as anyone (and feel they are vastly overrated by their fanbase every year) but in no way are they an automatic win. The OP is 100% correct with his assertion that BCC and Duke are the only automatic wins on the schedule.

Advertisement
^ I hate Georgia Tech as much as anyone (and feel they are vastly overrated by their fanbase every year) but in no way are they an automatic win. The OP is 100% correct with his assertion that BCC and Duke are the only automatic wins on the schedule.

Georgia Tech has 15 senior starters.

Not only is it not an automatic win, but Tech will be favored by more than a TD

I don't know how many of you watched how Golden and Coach D's defenses were in Temple... but LAST year's team was nothing like those defenses. Now that we aren't playing a rb and a bunch of bumbs at CB this year... and have a LB playing safety... I look forward to seeing what sort of defense we can put forth on the field. I expect a HUGE upgrade in our defensive capabilities this year. I expect the defense to carry the team for several games. The offense just needs to be decent.... I don't expect Morris to lead us to many victories... but he has to protect the ball and make the throws that need to be made. We need a better qb before this team can make the "next step"

When has it mattered that Ga Tech has 15 Seniors?? The best team that GaTech ever had for the triple option was when Paul Johnson first got there.... Joshua Nesbitt, Johnathan Dwyer, and Anthony Allen.

GaTech ONLY beat MIAMI ONE TIME in PAUL JOHNSON's HC career @ GT, and that was his 1st year, when he surprised every one. Miami ever since has always locked that **** down.

I don't care if we lose every game, Miami will still beat GaTech.

Also as far as Vegas Odds go.... that just makes it easy money. The popular pick is usually the pick that loses money.

When has it mattered that Ga Tech has 15 Seniors?? The best team that GaTech ever had for the triple option was when Paul Johnson first got there.... Joshua Nesbitt, Johnathan Dwyer, and Anthony Allen.

GaTech ONLY beat MIAMI ONE TIME in PAUL JOHNSON's HC career @ GT, and that was his 1st year, when he surprised every one. Miami ever since has always locked that **** down.

I don't care if we lose every game, Miami will still beat GaTech.

Also as far as Vegas Odds go.... that just makes it easy money. The popular pick is usually the pick that loses money.

Allen didn't play in 2008. Had to sit out that season due to transfer rules.

Advertisement
Cohesiveness, strength, conditioning, attitude, and fewer distractions alone make this team better than last years. I expect 8 wins or more.

Cohesiveness, strength, conditioning, attitude, and fewer distractions alone make this team better than last years. I expect 8 wins or more.

- All that is why I am ALL IN this year with these CANES.... I don't see it being a rebuilding year at all.

- I don't expect anything less than 8 wins this year, as well.

Why do people keep calling it the Oklahoma drill?

If you're thinking about the drill where two players are battling it out that's called the Sumo drill. That's the one Golden has them doing in all those videos.

The Oklahoma drill is another drill... you've got FOUR players involved. An offensive lineman and a defensive lineman square off between two cones five yards apart. A running back has the ball behind the offensive lineman, and a linebacker is stationed behind the defensive lineman. The running back must read the block of his offensive lineman and then try to get by or through the linebacker.

Sumo Drill = TWO players

Oklahoma Drill = Four players

Anyway, carry on.

I'm excited, but I've decided to just sit back, root for my Canes and let the season unfold. I trust in what Golden is doing and I understand it. I like how he is restocking the shelves and we're keeping kids home. As for what to expect this season, it truly is a crap shoot and I'm DONE getting worked up only to be disappointed.

Looking forward to 9/1/12.

I say this also, then I watch some pump up videos and I punch holes in the walls and do the Oklahoma Drill with my living room couch.

I can't help it.

Advertisement

- All that is why I am ALL IN this year with these CANES.... I don't see it being a rebuilding year at all.

- I don't expect anything less than 8 wins this year, as well.

Also most of our losses last year were very very close. We were better than our record.

if we win out will we go to the NC??? I really think its our year!

/takes off orange and green glasses

Id be happy with 7 wins, shocked with 8

BCC is the only automatic, even Duke aint a gimme...

I compare coaching staffs, location of game, experience in returning starters, and talent overall when trying to predict success

Advertisement
Back