Our Hiring of an OC or DC

Cristobal should know the name, given his time at the Capstone, but Glenn Schumann was an original staff member of Smart at Georgia, coming over in 2016 from Alabama where he started as an undergraduate analyst and moved up to grad assistant and director of player development and associate director of player personnel.

He’s coached the inside linebackers for all six of his Georgia seasons including two Butkus Award winners: Roquan Smith in 2017 and Nakobe Dean in 2021. Schumann already had the title of co-defensive coordinator but Lanning called the defensive plays and was the defensive coordinator. Now he has the same job with Will Muschamp as co-DCs. Muschamp is still doing the play calling. Cristobal knows these guys well and should swoop in and give this guy the DC job. Kirby Smart is trying separately to keep this guy on staff for a reason.

Advertisement
Cristobal should know the name, given his time at the Capstone, but Glenn Schumann was an original staff member of Smart at Georgia, coming over in 2016 from Alabama where he started as an undergraduate analyst and moved up to grad assistant and director of player development and associate director of player personnel.

He’s coached the inside linebackers for all six of his Georgia seasons including two Butkus Award winners: Roquan Smith in 2017 and Nakobe Dean in 2021. Schumann already had the title of co-defensive coordinator but Lanning called the defensive plays and was the defensive coordinator. Now he has the same job with Will Muschamp as co-DCs. Muschamp is still doing the play calling. Cristobal knows these guys well and should swoop in and give this guy the DC job. Kirby Smart is trying separately to keep this guy on staff for a reason.
Been saying this

**** with all the chatter, I thought he was the guy. Plus it fills a need for a LB coach.

**** with all the chatter, I thought he was the guy. Plus it fills a need for a LB coach.
I really thought hard that Dan Lanning up in Oregon was going to get him. But he recently went with Tosh Lupoi. Another BAMA coach who was also our DC in '18." Glenn is an up-and-comer for sure and has been in the SEC wars all his coaching life. He is making about 600,000 in Athens, so it's not a huge leap to make him a million-dollar DC to come to Miami.

Advertisement
I really thought hard that Dan Lanning up in Oregon was going to get him. But he recently went with Tosh Lupoi. Another BAMA coach who was also our DC in '18." Glenn is an up-and-comer for sure and has been in the SEC wars all his coaching life. He is making about 600,000 in Athens, so it's not a huge leap to make him a million-dollar DC to come to Miami.
He’s my thing...It might be a Dan Enos situation in the the inside guys know something we don’t about him possibly. Dan choose Tosh over him, why? Apparently Saban wasn’t happy with him as a DC. Dan leaves and Kirby still makes him a Co-DC. Is he not confident he can call plays on his own? Or maybe he’s still grooming to be the head guy on day? Who knows.

All I know is based on his recruiting and development along I’d roll the dice on dude for a year. I know Mario is meticulous but man, any hire that’s not a slam dunk at this point is gonna look like a fumble. I mean Mario basically turned this whole recruiting class around in a short period when we all thought it was a wash so **** happens. He is in fact human.

He’s my thing...It might be a Dan Enos situation in the the inside guys know something we don’t about him possibly. Dan choose Tosh over him, why? Apparently Saban wasn’t happy with him as a DC. Dan leaves and Kirby still makes him a Co-DC. Is he not confident he can call plays on his own? Or maybe he’s still grooming to be the head guy on day? Who knows.
I'm not sure I'm following all your points. Lanning did choose Tosh, I don't know why. Coach Saban relieved Tosh of play-calling duties in the middle of the '18' season. He replaced him with Pete Golding. Tosh left for NFL duties after the season and has been a position coach since that time. This is the DC that Lanning just hired. That's a limb and a half to be out on if you ask me. But he took the risk, I assume, because he did his due diligence and knew Tosh on a lot of levels.

As far as playcalling duties now for Georgia, how many teams are blessed with a Will Muschamp sitting on your staff and then used on the field as needed? Will can call a game and he has national championship experience. As far back as being the DC in '03' for coach Saban at LSU when they won the title and we played Texas in '09' with Muschamp their DC. That's a lot of resume to fight against for playcalling duties. Especially if Smart can give Glenn some coaching titles and pay him very well to stick around.

In my opinion, he would be less of a risk at DC, at this point, than Tosh at Oregon, and by a lot.

I'm not sure I'm following all your points. Lanning did choose Tosh, I don't know why. Coach Saban relieved Tosh of play-calling duties in the middle of the '18' season. He replaced him with Pete Golding. Tosh left for NFL duties after the season and has been a position coach since that time. This is the DC that Lanning just hired. That's a limb and a half to be out on if you ask me. But he took the risk, I assume, because he did his due diligence and knew Tosh on a lot of levels.

As far as playcalling duties now for Georgia, how many teams are blessed with a Will Muschamp sitting on your staff and then used on the field as needed? Will can call a game and he has national championship experience. As far back as being the DC in '03' for coach Saban at LSU when they won the title and we played Texas in '09' with Muschamp their DC. That's a lot of resume to fight against for playcalling duties. Especially if Smart can give Glenn some coaching titles and pay him very well to stick around.

In my opinion, he would be less of a risk at DC, at this point, than Tosh at Oregon, and by a lot.
It’s entirely possible that Schumann wasn’t interested or that Mario just likes Belk more. There was Schumann talk. I’d have to ask someone who knows, what happened with Schumann.

Advertisement
Schumann was in the mix on our end from what I recall. I’d have to ask someone who knows what happened. He probably wasn’t interested as I heard his name before Belk.
That would be a little surprising. Jeremy Pruit and Mel Tucker left coach Saban's staff to make a name for themselves and get their first coordinator jobs. That seems to be the place Schumann is residing in now in Georgia. Cristobal does know all these guys and was trying to build an SEC-like team at Oregon when he was there. Maybe Glenn got another raise and the notion that when Muschamp leaves he will have the job. But most of these longtime position guys are more than willing to take the "bird in the hand."

That would be a little surprising. Jeremy Pruit and Mel Tucker left coach Saban's staff to make a name for themselves and get their first coordinator jobs. That seems to be the place Schumann is residing in now in Georgia. Cristobal does know all these guys and was trying to build an SEC-like team at Oregon when he was there. Maybe Glenn got another raise and the notion that when Muschamp leaves he will have the job. But most of these longtime position guys are more than willing to take the "bird in the hand."
Like I said, I’ll have to ask someone else who knows. Schumann was the name I heard before Belk. I don’t know what happened there but it seems to not have gone anywhere.

Advertisement
I have to say that the branches of Saban’s coaching tree are like those of a 100 year old oak and the connections you’ve made back to Mario are both interesting and insightful.

The problem is background checks. It’s been difficult to find the OC and DC candidate’s kindergarten teachers to learn if the candidate played well with others and displayed leadership skills at a young age.

#duediligence

Last edited:
Advertisement
Like I said, I’ll have to ask someone else who knows. Schumann was the name I heard before Belk. I don’t know what happened there but it seems to not have gone anywhere.
Hmm, never even occurred that he might not have been interested. Maybe, although that would mean he’s DC in waiting and if that’s the case, what about Will? I don’t see him getting another shot as an HC at a P5 again . Being DC at UGA is the best gig he’s gonna get in terms of the mountain top.

It's utterly ridiculous that we don't have those positions filled at this point, it's been 2 months and you can't tell me this doesn't impact recruiting.

I can tell you it doesn't impact recruiting because well.. it hasn't 🤷...we've gotten 3 top 100 kids that wouldn't be here if Mario wasn't. Under normal circumstances I would be panicking but as long as we keep pulling in top recruits he can wait til valentine's day to hire coordinators for all I care.

Not saying I don't want Schumann but my thing is this, Schumann was literally Kirby Smart's first coaching hire at Georgia. He's like a little brother to him, when kirby does coaching clinics he brings Schumann along with him to help teach his defense. With all that being said Kirby keeps passing on him to be his defensive playcaller. Why is that ? 🤔

Not saying I don't want Schumann but my thing is this, Schumann was literally Kirby Smart's first coaching hire at Georgia. He's like a little brother to him, when kirby does coaching clinics he brings Schumann along with him to help teach his defense. With all that being said Kirby keeps passing on him to be his defensive playcaller. Why is that ? 🤔
How would anyone answer that? Why did it take all those years to finally make Bruce Arians an NFL head coach? Who knows. People get ready for certain jobs when they are ready and people miss talent when they are staring at it. Take your pick.

I know that another position coach, Kevin Sherrer, like Pruitt and Tucker left BAMA and became the DC at South Alabama. When Kirby went to Athens he made Kevin Sherrer the DC in '16.' Glenn Schumann would have been very young compared to Sherrer in coaching with still no real coordinator experience at that point. Then Pruitt dipped into Athens after one season with Kirby and stoled him in '17' , after the NC game, when he became HC of Tennessee and made Sherrer the DC for the vols. Kirby dips into Memphis for Lanning and he may have still preferred someone with DC experience for what Smart would have considered is now a title-worthy team. That's how all this stuff works. If Cristobal vetted Schumann, he is interested in what Glenn has to offer at this point.

Advertisement
Back