Our Hiring of an OC or DC

He’s my thing...It might be a Dan Enos situation in the the inside guys know something we don’t about him possibly. Dan choose Tosh over him, why? Apparently Saban wasn’t happy with him as a DC. Dan leaves and Kirby still makes him a Co-DC. Is he not confident he can call plays on his own? Or maybe he’s still grooming to be the head guy on day? Who knows.

All I know is based on his recruiting and development along I’d roll the dice on dude for a year. I know Mario is meticulous but man, any hire that’s not a slam dunk at this point is gonna look like a fumble. I mean Mario basically turned this whole recruiting class around in a short period when we all thought it was a wash so **** happens. He is in fact human.
I'm not sure I'm following all your points. Lanning did choose Tosh, I don't know why. Coach Saban relieved Tosh of play-calling duties in the middle of the '18' season. He replaced him with Pete Golding. Tosh left for NFL duties after the season and has been a position coach since that time. This is the DC that Lanning just hired. That's a limb and a half to be out on if you ask me. But he took the risk, I assume, because he did his due diligence and knew Tosh on a lot of levels.

As far as playcalling duties now for Georgia, how many teams are blessed with a Will Muschamp sitting on your staff and then used on the field as needed? Will can call a game and he has national championship experience. As far back as being the DC in '03' for coach Saban at LSU when they won the title and we played Texas in '09' with Muschamp their DC. That's a lot of resume to fight against for playcalling duties. Especially if Smart can give Glenn some coaching titles and pay him very well to stick around.

In my opinion, he would be less of a risk at DC, at this point, than Tosh at Oregon, and by a lot.

I know Tosh has the DC title but do we know he will be calling the defense on game day? I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who just called the defense for the national champs and happens to be on staff there actually does it. This might be a situation where Tosh got the title to get him there, but he's protected.

Advertisement
I know Tosh has the DC title but do we know he will be calling the defense on game day? I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who just called the defense for the national champs and happens to be on staff there actually does it. This might be a situation where Tosh got the title to get him there, but he's protected.

It would be quite a decision to pay a guy $2 million NOT to call defensive plays.

Kind of ironic since that's what many skeptics said about Dan Lanning when he took the DC job under Kirby Smart.

Not sure if posted but Ferman added some more color to the OC situation. Briles was never offered but we knew that already. Toledo wasn't gonna offer someone on their staff the HC job, and because we already had a bunch of the position spots filled on O, Candle was gonna leave those guys hanging. He went back and forth but ultimately decided to stick around for them. Yes I know its Ferman...

I can tell you it doesn't impact recruiting because well.. it hasn't 🤷...we've gotten 3 top 100 kids that wouldn't be here if Mario wasn't. Under normal circumstances I would be panicking but as long as we keep pulling in top recruits he can wait til valentine's day to hire coordinators for all I care.

Mario inherited a tiny class in shambles, managed to keep all five of the ones he wanted, and has already added 10 other players in the weeks that he's been here, including our four best overall commits - difference makers. All while trying to completely revamp a failed organization that needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Crazy how people just focus on the negati... WAIT... I should say crazy how people INVENT the negative, most of this stuff is just people filling in the blanks with whatever hibernates in the darkest, saddest corners of their minds. We don't know how the class will finish. We don't know what we will have gotten from the portal by day 1 of fall camp. And we certainly (lol) have no idea what our staff will look like when it's complete, nor do we know if there has really been any adversity at all. We don't know a lot, because that's how professionally managed organizations work.

What we do know is, against all past prelude:

*We fired Blake.
*We fired Manny.
*The admin has committed untold millions to the program.

(Ok take a beat here).

We hired Mario.

Because of that:

*Boosters are throwing 8 figures a year min, at whatever problems we have.
*We have a billionaire lawyer creating insane NIL deals to compete with the SEC $.
*We added 10 new kids so far in just weeks with a major dead period in the middle.
*We have the #5 class right now by avg. score.
*The entire visit experience has been revamped in an incredible way.
*We just had more HS talent on campus visiting than we ever have, including 9-10 5-star kids.
*I know people here see this as a negative, and Coach Joe apparently banged some posters girl, but our HC is Big Game Hunting for his staff right now.
*We are going to build a major 4-5 story football facility that will be as good or better than anyone's.

I totally get human nature, and that people tend to worry and focus on the negative. Why not wait until you are SURE there is a problem before you mope? And for god's sake people, stop and smell the roses for a minute. ENJOY THIS. Because you're missing out! We bak.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It would be quite a decision to pay a guy $2 million NOT to call defensive plays.

And no one is. It's actually $1.7 a year, with no raises for three years, and very small incentives. And if he's game planning for you, doing the dirty work, eating up the DC bandwidth to set you up to call the D on gameday, AND you think he's the monster recruiter you need, and it's what it takes to get him from the NFL, then so be it.

Whether he's calling the plays or not, it's going to be Lanning's defense. His IP. So Tosh is obviously being overpaid from an X's and O's standpoint regardless. Recruiting, mang.

Last edited:
Mario inherited a tiny class in shambles, managed to keep all five of the ones he wanted, and has already added 10 other players in the weeks that he's been here, including our three best overall commits - difference makes. All while trying to completely revamp a failed organization that needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Crazy how people just focus on the negati... WAIT... I should say crazy how people INVENT the negative, most of this stuff is just people filling in the blanks with whatever hibernates in the darkest, saddest corners of their minds. We don't know how the class will finish. We don't know what we will have gotten from the portal by day 1 of fall camp. And we certainly (lol) have no idea what our staff will look like when it's complete, nor do we know if there has really been any adversity at all. We don't know a lot, because that's how professionally managed organizations work.

What we do know is, against all past prelude:

*We fired Blake.
*We fired Manny.
*The admin has committed untold millions to the program.

(Ok take a beat here).

We hired Mario.

Because of that:

*Boosters are throwing 8 figures a year min, at whatever problems we have.
*We have a billionaire lawyer creating insane NIL deals to compete with the SEC $.
*We added 10 new kids so far in just weeks with a major dead period in the middle.
*We have the #5 class right now by avg. score.
*The entire visit experience has been revamped in an incredible way.
*We just had more HS talent on campus visiting than we ever have, including 9-10 5-star kids.
*I know people here see this as a negative, and Coach Joe apparently banged some posters girl, but our HC is Big Game Hunting for his staff right now.
*We are going to build a major 4-5 story football facility that will be as good or better than anyone's.

I totally get human nature, and that people tend to worry and focus on the negative. Why not wait until you are SURE there is a problem before you mope? And for god's sake people, stop and smell the roses for a minute. ENJOY THIS. Because you're missing out! We bak.
Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Advertisement
I’m just hoping there’s a method to Mario’s madness but agree my patience is wearing thin.
I always find it interesting when our fans think they know more than any coach, let alone Mario Cristobal. If Shemar comes to UM great, if not, it's not the end of the world. I think he's a very good HS player with potential. If he doesn't believe in the program enough to come to UM, a coach isn't going to make the difference. Quite frankly, I prefer a really good player with upside that is willing to work his *** off to become great, as opposed to someone that thinks he's great already. That's just me, but UM had a history of doing great with the under rated hard worker during the glory days.

You're right it doesn't take 8 weeks when you're hiring JAG coaches like we have for the last 15 years. However, when you're targeting coaches that are desired by NFL and top tier college teams, you may have to wait.

No...There are plenty of quality not available on 4 teams and CFB has been over for over 2 weeks.

I always find it interesting when our fans think they know more than any coach, let alone Mario Cristobal.

Look I think Cristobal has a high floor here...Love some of the recruiting he's done thus far and think he will really build some deep talent at UM

Overall I like the hire...

But what in the living **** does "let alone Mario Cristobal" mean? Since when is he god? He's Saban now? How can you say that with a straight face

Advertisement
Look I think Cristobal has a high floor here...Love some of the recruiting he's done thus far and think he will really build some deep talent at UM

Overall I like the hire...

But what in the living **** does "let alone Mario Cristobal" mean? Since when is he god? He's Saban now? How can you say that with a straight face
He's been here in little over a month, cut him some slack. "Let alone Mario Cristobal" means, the man is accomplished. If you wanted to give Manny advice, that's fine. But Mario doesn't need advice from a poster.

I'd rather get these coordinator position hires right than worry too much about losing recruits this cycle. If they trust Mario and his vision they'll sign. Before Mario got hired the recruiting class was in shambles. He managed to make the class respectable by getting some late additions. Just get these hires right and we'll be good.
The issue is: we don’t think it has to be either or…. and maybe won’t be…

Advertisement
I always find it interesting when our fans think they know more than any coach, let alone Mario Cristobal. If Shemar comes to UM great, if not, it's not the end of the world. I think he's a very good HS player with potential. If he doesn't believe in the program enough to come to UM, a coach isn't going to make the difference. Quite frankly, I prefer a really good player with upside that is willing to work his *** off to become great, as opposed to someone that thinks he's great already. That's just me, but UM had a history of doing great with the under rated hard worker during the glory days.
Are you serious? You attacking our most desired defensive recruit because "you" lack confidence he's not coming. Then go so far as to suggest we do what we have been doing for the past 15 years, recruit a Jag we can get, in hopes he trains hard and becomes a force. Dude be real.

Mario is ******** around with losing Shemar Stewart unless he names a DC before Feb. 2!!

Stop it.

If Stewart comes to Miami, it's because he believes in everything Mario is selling and the future of the Hurricanes—trusting whoever is named DC.

If he goes to aTm or Georgia—those bags were big and heavy and either school sweetened the pot for he and his family.

There is no way Stewart would NOT come to Miami because a defense coordinator is yet to be named. Stop reading that driven by Alan Rubenstein at CanesWarning.

The kid either believes in Mario, or it doesn't. Some second-tier defensive coordinator named isn't going to be the difference-maker in his decision.

8 weeks and 2 singing days

That is not healthy...It's really that simple.
Know what IS healthy? Recruiting effectively and signing legit players / difference makers to the roster. Biggest complaint I have heard everywhere for the past 10 years (especially on OL) "we aren't recruiting well .. we are not getting the type players the SEC and OSU get". Well .. right now at this moment there is a fixed timeline for recruit contact for signing day next week. Mario is very focused ..let's see how many OL we end up with on the roster by Spring Practice .. from the 2022 class in addition to transfer portal. Could very well have a totally revamped OL roster by Fall practice .. biggest deficiency on the roster the past decade. Will REALLY help the OC that is hired .. will have more talent to work with. What isn't healthy is fans over hyping the impact of the coordinator hiring delays.

Advertisement
Back