OT: Who was drafted 1st pick the year you were born?(article)

Who the fück is Steve Bartowski??? That’s who I got stuck with.

I was living in San Francisco around the time Bartkowski went to Cal. I knew some people who were in school there and I was introduced to Leigh Steinberg who I think became his agent. Leigh was finishing law school at Cal and from what I was told was trying to decide between sports representation and entertainment law. I think Leigh was Bartkowski's resident dorm counselor and that's how he got the job with Barkowski. From there, Steinberg was able to establish himself in the representation business. I guess things didn't always go well for him over the years.

Barklowski was an outstanding passer at Cal. I remember they had a lot of talent at Cal. I used to have a game roster from the USC-UCBerkeley game one year when I was out there. Both teams were filled with talent. I think Anthony Davis and Ricky Bell were on USC; Bartkowski, Vince Ferragamo, Chuck Muncie, were at Cal. There were quite a few others.

Advertisement
Duncan was a bust. Drafted first by the Packers but never played in the NFL, only Canada. Meanwhile the QB the Packers drafted in the 17th round the next year, Bart Starr, became their longtime starter during the glory years. I believe he would have been the starter on the losing and very pathetic Alabama team I saw Miami beat in the OB in 1955.

So far, I've got everybody beat. I've been a Miami fan longer than any of you lousy punks, pretenders and charlatans. I've seen it all. I've forgotten more Miami football than you'll ever remember.

Pretty good one in 1957 - Paul Hornung. Only issue is he was from ND!

I actually knew the daughter of his coach, I think. Years ago, I was working as a summer associate in a big law firm in Chicago. We had a paralegal named Jane Brennan. Turned out to be Terry Brennan's daughter. Unfortunately, Terry did not have a successful career. Like Gerry Faust, they made the mistake of hiring him right out of a successful Chicago high school program.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Corbett Davis RB -Indiana. Bob Masterson -End from the "U" round six. Byron "Whizzer"White number three overall. 1938. I beat you Matador but glad to see some more seniors on the board.

Last edited:
Jeff George 90'. My year would be a bust...

I consider myself an 80s baby. I just cant get down with some of the stuff the 90s babies are into. Plus they screwed up the rap game.....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back