OT: Who was drafted 1st pick the year you were born?(article)

Still in touch with **** Sorensen. He's retired and living in northern Va. Coaching at an area HS, had a tall rangy LB we tried to get some interest in by UM but it was a no go, I guess. The kid wad underrated, signed with UVA. ****'s son is still coaching as an assistant with the Seahawks.

I didn't go to UM but I got to know **** through local group of UM alums and fans. I've always loved UM.

I think Tony Cline, Jr was a TE for Stanford and then the Bills. Don't know his father or the other guys, just watched them play, when I got the chance. Know **** because he and I both live in D.C. area.

Tatarek was a pretty good DT. I think he did a number on Namath's knee when he played for the Bills. Not deliberate, just ended up getting him low.
Those names really bring back memories. Did'nt Cline play the other DE position when Hendricks was there?
True about the skill position guys mianjomar, unless the defensive linemen was truly dominant. Mira came out in '64, so they would have been teammates. What years did you play and what position?
i still think Mira was the most exciting football player in Cane history.

Advertisement
You played at UM, Mianjomar? I would guess you would have graduated about '60. If you did, you probably would have played with one or both of the Diamond brothers, maybe Jim Otto, Eddie Johns, Bill Miller and Larry Wilson, Fran Curci, and a slew of others. You might have been a freshman Don Bosseler's senior year.

Tell us more.
Like you I didn't play at UM but Curci, Diamond, and Wilson Along with Jon Mirilovich all went to Archbishop Curley High School. One of my close friends played with them and believe it or not they all meet pretty regularly for lunch often with their coach Armand "Stich" Vari who played on the Jim Dooley, Jack Hackett teams of the early fifties.

End Tony Cline, LBs Ken Corbin and **** Sorensen, and a undersized DT, Bob Tatarek played very well for coach Tate. I played in a basketball league in Homestead in the off season and I recruited Sorensen and Hendricks to be my teammates.
I loved that era also. Bill Miller qb, Bobby Best. Terrible how Tate ended his UM career though.

Those names really bring back memories. Did'nt Cline play the other DE position when Hendricks was there?

i still think Mira was the most exciting football player in Cane history.
Yes. Tony Cline was a stud DE in his own right. Had a career with the Raiders and 49'ers. Why Tate said if teams wanted to run away from Hendricks they could run into a monster like Cline.

The Matador WAS the most exciting UM player ever why young people are stupid to use the word "matador" in a derogatory sense to describe something negative, like someone just did in another thread. It has a special meaning to UM fans. Some people are demonstrating their ignorance about UM football. There are excellent books about UM football history they should read.

I loved that era also. Bill Miller qb, Bobby Best. Terrible how Tate ended his UM career though.
I did not know what Tate did to end Bobby Best's career. Please explain. I'd like to know. The kid had great promise. We had two of the best RBs in the country and neither had great careers. The other was Vince Opalsky.

Please tell me about Best.

Advertisement
Like you I didn't play at UM but Curci, Diamond, and Wilson Along with Jon Mirilovich all went to Archbishop Curley High School. One of my close friends played with them and believe it or not they all meet pretty regularly for lunch often with their coach Armand "Stich" Vari who played on the Jim Dooley, Jack Hackett teams of the early fifties.
Stitch is still alive? Wow! Rode the bus with him to a UM-Pitt game in '86.

Mirilovich later coached at UM with Curci and Chuck Foreman blamed him for his fumbling problems in college. He did not have the problems in the pro's. Said Mirilovich was always yelling at him, I think it was the wrong psychology with Chuck.

The third Diamond brother, Steve, played at powerhouse Miami High instead of Curley. Rare HS All-American for south Florida in those times. Went to Harvard then Columbia Law School, I think. Spurned big-time college football for an Ivy League degree. The NFL wasn't the path to wealth, back then. It was the path to concussions, permanent injuries and a shorter life span. Nobody talks about that, though.

I think Chuck Foreman's first NFL contract with the Vikings was $20,000 per year and he was a first round pick.

Mirilovich later coached at UM with Curci and Chuck Foreman blamed him for his fumbling problems in college. He did not have the problems in the pro's. Said Mirilovich was always yelling at him, I think it was the wrong psychology with Chuck.

The third Diamond brother, Steve, played at powerhouse Miami High instead of Curley. Rare HS All-American for south Florida in those times. Went to Harvard then Columbia Law School, I think. Spurned big-time college football for an Ivy League degree. The NFL wasn't the path to wealth, back then. It was the path to concussions, permanent injuries and a shorter life span. Nobody talks about that, though.

I think Chuck Foreman's first NFL contract with the Vikings was $20,000 per year and he was a first round pick.
The Forman, Burgess Owens , Tony Christiani years were sad from a fan support standpoint. You could go to the OB
In any seat and after kickoff sit anywhere you wanted. Sometimes there were as few as 10,000 fans at a game. We still had some great players. Ruben Carter, Don Latimer, and Eddie Edwards to name a few.

I did not know what Tate did to end Bobby Best's career. Please explain. I'd like to know. The kid had great promise. We had two of the best RBs in the country and neither had great careers. The other was Vince Opalsky.

Please tell me about Best.
I was referring to how Tate's career ended. Basically quit and left town mid season under severe fan pressure. Ski took over and coached the rest of the season( And beat the Gators).

You played at UM, Mianjomar? I would guess you would have graduated about '60. If you did, you probably would have played with one or both of the Diamond brothers, maybe Jim Otto, Eddie Johns, Bill Miller and Larry Wilson, Fran Curci, and a slew of others. You might have been a freshman Don Bosseler's senior year.

Tell us more.
My late husband, Doug Davis, graduated in 1961 and played with the above players under
Coach Andy Gus.

Advertisement
Tucker Frederickson, have never heard of the guy from Auburn in 1965.

**** Butkus and Gale Sayers were drafted 3rd and 4th that year.

Advertisement

Foreman had an unheard of number of fumbles (I believe it was 22 with UM losing possession 18 times) before he was moved to WR. He went to the Senior bowl that year and the Jets staff were the coaches for Foreman's team. Head coach Weeb Ewbank pulled Chuck over during the first practice and talked to him about how to secure the ball and he only fumbled a couple times in the NFL (IIRC). Coach Ewbank showed him how to get 4 points of pressure on the ball and to carry it higher instead of down near the waist line.

Last edited:
I was referring to how Tate's career ended. Basically quit and left town mid season under severe fan pressure. Ski took over and coached the rest of the season( And beat the Gators).

Some fans were throwing human ***** in paper bags on the front porch of his house. The newspapers were ripping him. There was a Saturday radio talk show where callers were ripping him. The final straw was when his kids were getting harassed every day at school.
As you mentioned, coach resigned, took his family and, I think, moved to Georgia.

Advertisement
Back