OT: Who was drafted 1st pick the year you were born?(article)

Corbett Davis RB -Indiana. Bob Masterson -End from the "U" round six. Byron "Whizzer"White number three overall. 1938. I beat you Matador but glad to see some more seniors on the board.
Wow! You and Dingaan have me beat!

I wonder how many youngsters here know what Whizzer White's later claim to fame was!

Advertisement
Apparently, Tom Cousineau (1979), who may or may not be a real person

Cousineau was not a real person. That was the fake draft of 1979. Soviet disinformation. Putin was a young KGB operative back then, he might have been involved in putting this hoax over on American football fans.

All of this is buried in the Kremlin archives, for sure. Don't look in any American record books. You'll just get more confused and misled.

Jeff George 90'. My year would be a bust...

I consider myself an 80s baby. I just cant get down with some of the stuff the 90s babies are into. Plus they screwed up the rap game.....

You where born in 90?? I figured you where an 80s baby. I was born in 92 and most of the music I listen to is rappers from the 80s/90s/early 00s, but I still **** with some of the new ****. Only certain rappers though like Bobby Shmurda(free my guy) and the whole GS-9, Dave East, NBA youngboy, Kevin Gates, 21 Savage, Tee Grizzley, Kodak, and a few other, but the dudes out in chiraq put out a lot of dope music, but they stay getting locked up or getting whacked so most of them don't have that much music but G Herbo, Lil bibby, Fredo BIP, Lil reese, chief keef, Lil durk, Lud Foe, Billionaire Black, free Lil Jay, free Rondonumba9 all got a good amount of music and a lot of it is straight fire.

Advertisement
Respect to the old Canes. Love that you all are here. You guys should share some leather helmet stories. Get a CIS Canes Oral History Project going.

Anyway, Ivan Charles Tucker, the pride of South Broward High School, went first the year I was born. Five Hall of Famers that year: **** Butkus (3), who my 91 year old father still maintains was the best to ever play LB; Gayle Sayers (4); Joe Willie Namath (12); Fred Biletnikoff (39); and Chris Hanburgher (245). Not too shabby. Tucker played both ways. Must have been a **** of a football player. He played at Auburn.

Canes: Fred Brown - End (37); Bob Werl - End (162); - Older Canes you remember those guys?

Several notable HBCU players entered that year also. This is not all of them: Alphonso Dotson (GSU) (24); Willie Williams (GSU) (99); Mike Howell (GSU) (111); Frank Cornish (GSU) (144); Jethro Pugh (ESCU) (145); Jim "Cannonball" Butler (EWC) (186); Otis Taylor (PVAM) (203); Roy Hilton (JSU) (210); Frank Pitts (SU) (213); Bob Reed (TAI/TSU) (217).

Advertisement
Respect to the old Canes. Love that you all are here. You guys should share some leather helmet stories. Get a CIS Canes Oral History Project going.

Anyway, Ivan Charles Tucker, the pride of South Broward High School, went first the year I was born. Five Hall of Famers that year: **** Butkus (3), who my 91 year old father still maintains was the best to ever play LB; Gayle Sayers (4); Joe Willie Namath (12); Fred Biletnikoff (39); and Chris Hanburgher (245). Not too shabby. Tucker played both ways. Must have been a **** of a football player. He played at Auburn.

Canes: Fred Brown - End (37); Bob Werl - End (162); - Older Canes you remember those guys?

Several notable HBCU players entered that year also. This is not all of them: Alphonso Dotson (GSU) (24); Willie Williams (GSU) (99); Mike Howell (GSU) (111); Frank Cornish (GSU) (144); Jethro Pugh (ESCU) (145); Jim "Cannonball" Butler (EWC) (186); Otis Taylor (PVAM) (203); Roy Hilton (JSU) (210); Frank Pitts (SU) (213); Bob Reed (TAI/TSU) (217).
We had the leather helmets my sophomore year. The helmet sizes were limited because they were changing to more modernhelmets the next year and they weren't buying anymore of what we called the Jim Thorpe helmets. My Thorpe helmet was so tight that I was dizzy half the time. Very bad memory. I hate to get off to a bad start in familiarity with former Canes I don't remember much about Fred Brown except he like Bob Werl were either during the George Mira era or right after. Unfortunately you tend to remember the skill position guys more then the linemen and he was good enough to get drafted by the Jets.

We had the leather helmets my sophomore year. The helmet sizes were limited because they were changing to more modernhelmets the next year and they weren't buying anymore of what we called the Jim Thorpe helmets. My Thorpe helmet was so tight that I was dizzy half the time. Very bad memory. I hate to get off to a bad start in familiarity with former Canes I don't remember much about Fred Brown except he like Bob Werl were either during the George Mira era or right after. Unfortunately you tend to remember the skill position guys more then the linemen and he was good enough to get drafted by the Jets.

True about the skill position guys mianjomar, unless the defensive linemen was truly dominant. Mira came out in '64, so they would have been teammates. What years did you play and what position?

I remember Fred Brown and Bob Werl. Brown was a juco transfer, I think. Wasn't his nickname "Redtree" or something like that? I remember Brown as an offensive end and Werl as a defensive end. I think Werl might have played opposite UM All-American Ed Weisacosky.

I think I watched those guys on Greentree during spring practice before the '63 season. I have a recollection of these new tall receivers, Art Zachary and Fred Brown, both 6'5". Another was Fred Stubbs at 6'3".

Oral history? Yeah, oral's usually a good way to go.

EDIT: Actually, after thinking about it, I think Fred Brown's nickname was "Redwood" like the big California trees. He was a big tall guy on the practice field and I think he transferred in from California.

Last edited:
True about the skill position guys mianjomar, unless the defensive linemen was truly dominant. Mira came out in '64, so they would have been teammates. What years did you play and what position?
You played at UM, Mianjomar? I would guess you would have graduated about '60. If you did, you probably would have played with one or both of the Diamond brothers, maybe Jim Otto, Eddie Johns, Bill Miller and Larry Wilson, Fran Curci, and a slew of others. You might have been a freshman Don Bosseler's senior year.

Tell us more.

Advertisement
Bill Dudley 1942. Never heard of him!!!

Started following NFL in mid fifties.

My cousin played high school ball with Fredrickson and they played against Brian Piccolo.

Arrived at UM in the fall of1964 as a grad student in mathematics. Enjoyed watching coach Tate's defense.

Bill Dudley 1942. Never heard of him!!!

Started following NFL in mid fifties.

My cousin played high school ball with Fredrickson and they played against Brian Piccolo.

Arrived at UM in the fall of1964 as a grad student in mathematics. Enjoyed watching coach Tate's defense.
Loved the Tate era defenses. Led by Ted Hendricks but they had a lot of good players.

Loved the Tate era defenses. Led by Ted Hendricks but they had a lot of good players.

End Tony Cline, LBs Ken Corbin and **** Sorensen, and a undersized DT, Bob Tatarek played very well for coach Tate. I played in a basketball league in Homestead in the off season and I recruited Sorensen and Hendricks to be my teammates.

Advertisement
End Tony Cline, LBs Ken Corbin and **** Sorensen, and a undersized DT, Bob Tatarek played very well for coach Tate. I played in a basketball league in Homestead in the off season and I recruited Sorensen and Hendricks to be my teammates.

Still in touch with **** Sorensen. He's retired and living in northern Va. Coaching at an area HS, had a tall rangy LB we tried to get some interest in by UM but it was a no go, I guess. The kid wad underrated, signed with UVA. ****'s son is still coaching as an assistant with the Seahawks.

I didn't go to UM but I got to know **** through local group of UM alums and fans. I've always loved UM.

I think Tony Cline, Jr was a TE for Stanford and then the Bills. Don't know his father or the other guys, just watched them play, when I got the chance. Know **** because he and I both live in D.C. area.

Tatarek was a pretty good DT. I think he did a number on Namath's knee when he played for the Bills. Not deliberate, just ended up getting him low.

Didn't play after the middle of my HS junior year. I played blocking back in the old single wing.

Advertisement
Back