OT: Restaurant and Food Thread

That was awesome. Thank you. I will be for sure hitting Lee's Famous and want to get to either Hollerbach's or Orange County Brewers. Thanks again.

Yeah, there's a lot of funky spots in downtown Sanford too.

Was just trying to give some options to cover all kinds of situations.

Advertisement
Absolutely No Words how insanely Good this was....And I'm as Picky as there is in ref to Italian Food....Completely off the charts....
118099941_3269971309725271_3391908762411251684_n.jpg

Advertisement
What are you looking for, cuisine-wise?

In no particular order, just thinking of places off the top of my head:

---Hollerbach's Willow Tree Cafe - German restaurant in downtown Sanford (next town over from Lake Mary), has historically won "best German restaurant in Orlando" for decades. They just added a new biergarten on the roof. I love this place, food is great, people are great.

---FishBones (not, Not, NOT "Bonefish Grill"), seafood place in the Heathrow area, another long-time establishment, I've sent people there on many occasions.

---Ruth's Chris/Shulas 347 (both are near FishBones). There's also a place called Stonewood Grill & Tavern, it's a local chain (based in Ormond Beach), I've always enjoyed this steakhouse. Same company also owns Peach Valley Cafe, a breakfast place. Both have locations off of Lake Mary Blvd.

---F&D Kitchen & Bar - this is a really nice gastropub, also near FishBones/Ruth's Chris/Shulas 347. The same group has opened a couple of F&D Woodfired Italian Kitchens, one is in Longwood (next town over from Lake Mary in the other direction from Lake Mary).

---Santiago's Bodega - I have not been to the Longwood location, as I usually go downtown, but this place is one of my favorites (third location is in Key West). It's a tapas restaurant during the week, but they have an amazing Saturday/Sunday brunch, it's $45, but they give you so much food and so much variety.

---I know some will huff and puff, but I've been a big fan of 4Rivers Smokehouse since Day 1. Also in Longwood.

---If you go to Orange County Brewers in Lake Mary (yes, it's Seminole County), this particular location has a Tin & Taco pop-up located inside. I've been going to the downtown T&T locations for years, happy to get one in Lake Mary now.

---Not really a restaurant, but hit up Andy's Frozen Custard on St. Johns Parkway in Sanford. Place is usually packed, but they move fast and one of the dudes who works there will appreciate it if you wear UM gear, his girlfriend goes to UM.

---If you need doughnuts, go to Donuts To Go on State Road 46 in Sanford. There is also a great bakery/gourmet marshmallow place called Wondermade a few blocks away, closer to downtown Sanford.

--- @caneinorlando and I have already spoken of our love for Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken on 17-92 in Sanford. Not the best neighborhood, but my favorite fried chicken place in all of Orlando.

Let me know if you need any other types of places. Happy to help.
Lol it ain't that bad a neighborhood

Advertisement
Tennessee truffle, shantells, and jimottis in downtown sanford wont do you wrong either.

Hit baggs produce on sanford Ave and 1st for the best cajun boiled peanuts in the world.

Stonewoods and peach Valley are pretty good. I used to manage that dry cleaner in the same plaza. There used to be a good pizza place but I think it closed down.

My Charleston suggestions. Burwells for steak, Oak for oyster Rockefeller. Best you have ever had. Paiges Okra grill! Shrimp and grits. Zero George for a burger. Hanks for seafood. ****, lil jacks tavern for burger, Poe’s, never mind, tons of options here. Just come on. Lewis for beef bbq, Rodney Scott’s for pork. My goodness we gonna be fat *** city

Advertisement
Advertisement
My Charleston suggestions. Burwells for steak, Oak for oyster Rockefeller. Best you have ever had. Paiges Okra grill! Shrimp and grits. Zero George for a burger. Hanks for seafood. ****, lil jacks tavern for burger, Poe’s, never mind, tons of options here. Just come on. Lewis for beef bbq, Rodney Scott’s for pork. My goodness we gonna be fat *** city
I have to say I haven't had a lot of oyster Rockefeller but Kress chop house in Dt Orlando is simply amazing. If theres better it cant be by much. I crave that stuff, Its stupid good.

Best decision I ever made was going to Japan. Tokyo is one of the best cities I have ever been to. Think Im going to head back there once all the travel restrictions from Covid is over.

View attachment 128800
Is it hard to get around with language barriers. I want to go and just experience the city but im afraid of not being able to get by.

Oh let me find out more about this Akira place. I live in DC now
Best decision I ever made was going to Japan. Tokyo is one of the best cities I have ever been to. Think Im going to head back there once all the travel restrictions from Covid is over.

View attachment 128800
Akira Ramen is on The Maryland side in Rockville. It has limited seating too. My wife and I both get the takoyaki appetizer(octopus balls) every time. Spicy ramen there is amazing if you are into that.

@Firesite I have a friendly military family in Japan. They lived in Tokyo for a few years after he got out. Always sent my wife little Japanese trinkets. She has em all over the house and it looks like a mini shop sometimes lol. They live out in iwakuni now.

Is it hard to get around with language barriers. I want to go and just experience the city but im afraid of not being able to get by.
No it’s pretty easy to get around. If you do ever go you need to get pocket WiFi. This way you can use google maps to find locations and figure out which train or bus you need to be on. I was there for two weeks and only got lost one time. People are really friendly an you can always ask for directions.

Advertisement
Back